November 24th, 2009

Pelosi keeps door open on war tax

Speaker Pelosi said Tuesday that 'there is serious unrest' in the House Democratic Caucus over funding the Afghanistan war.

Washington (CNN) - Speaker Nancy Pelosi kept the door open Tuesday to a proposal by several senior House Democrats to impose a graduated surtax on American taxpayers to finance the war in Afghanistan.

While Pelosi wasn't pressed about the details of the new war tax, she pointed to strong reservations among Congressional Democrats about the costs of the war during a conference call Tuesday with several economic writers and bloggers.

"But let me say that there is serious unrest in our Caucus about can we afford this war?" Pelosi said.

Two years ago when House Appropriations Chairman David Obey, D-Wisconsin, floated a similar war tax to pay for the war in Iraq, Pelosi quickly rejected it. But on Tuesday Pelosi said the costs of the war and the impact they will have on other domestic priorities should be part of the discussion over U.S. strategy in Afghanistan.

In addition to Obey, several senior Democrats close to Pelosi have signed on as co-sponsors of the "Share the Sacrifice Act." These include Defense Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman John Murtha, D-Pennsylvania, Ways and Means Chairman Charlie Rangel, D-New York, Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank, D-Massachusetts, and the third ranking House Democrat John Larson, D-Connecticut. Obey projects that an escalation of significantly more U.S. troops to Afghanistan will cost about $1 trillion over the next ten years.

Filed under: Afghanistan • Democrats • Extra • House • Nancy Pelosi • Popular Posts
  1. Roz

I served my country – Navy and Army National Guard after. I am against this war and I want to know why we need to be there. I am 54 and decisions are being made that guarantee I will live in poverty and be found unworthy of the health care my 92 year old mother is receiving now.

War tax? On who? War mongers like Republicans and Conservatives?

November 24, 2009 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  2. todd wemyss

Do the democrats not realize the inheritance tax was a temporary (!) tax created to fund war efforts. Maybe they should figure out that one before creating more tax hidden in another way.

November 24, 2009 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  3. MS

A WAR TAX??? They've GOT to be kidding!!!!
    Let the REPUBLICANS pay for the wars in Iraq
    and Afghanistan since Bush and Company got us into
    this mess. This makes me SICK.

November 24, 2009 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  4. Buckwheat

Pelosi is an absolute idiot. God, bring us Nov 2010 now!

Buckwheat

November 24, 2009 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  5. TC

Tax and spend! Tax and spend!

November 24, 2009 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  6. RickyL

Will Republicans support this tax.....or will they cite it as another reason why we can't afford health care reform?

November 25, 2009 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  7. Bill

I can't believe this nut case is for a surtax when our country is struggling just to make ends meet in each household. She needs to be replaced right now!

November 25, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  8. D. Flores

As you can see,it takes a lot of money to be "policeman" of the world.War and attrocities is not the answer.The money spent for this war effort should be used to find alternate energy sources.Some day the American people will wake up and take back their beloved country by making accountable their elected leaders and demanding they do the work they are elected to do,that is represent the "PEOPLE",the only power, and not sell out to the highest bidder.Long live LIBERTY in AMERICA and the rest of the world.

November 25, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  9. Don

Obamacare: Spread the health around!
    Obamawartax: spread the blame around!

November 25, 2009 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  10. Fred L. Fraud

Not a chance...

November 25, 2009 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  11. dem disagrees

I am a democrat and I TOTALLY disagree with the current democratic standing on this war. Afghanistan was the only "right" war we have fought in 40 years. Dems are going to look very weak on national security if they try to shut this war down (which, btw, will feed right into the GOP's hands.)

I could care less if the majority of Americans don't like this war – heck, the majority of Americans voted George W into office TWICE. So, obviously the majority of Americans have a screw loose!

I support this war! Anf FYI, I support health care and the public option – but hey REID – don't make it mandatory for me to buy it.

November 25, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  12. Don't go there Nancy!!

I don't think so!! I am NOT paying for any war without a fight. I have enough problems paying for everything else right now.

END THIS WAR!!!!!!

November 25, 2009 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  13. sandy

Sure, soak the taxpayers some more. Come on, we wouldn't need this tax if Obama kept his campaign promise and brought our troops home. Instead of doing what he says he would do, he has now decided to continue sending more of our children into harms way. Many people are not happy about what has occured since the election of our new president. I feel like he told us what we wanted to hear so he would get elected then threw us to the wolves. One thing I hate is a liar and I feel that I have been lied to more than a few times with this administration.

November 25, 2009 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  14. Opinions_R_US

If the people of California re-elect this ID10T in the next election, I propose we pass a law to have California booted from America. This 'person' just grates me. GO AWAY!!

November 25, 2009 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  15. Paul Buckroyd

no more taxes or fees period...

November 25, 2009 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  16. Relaxed

Great, so instead of taxing mercenaries, fire arms dealers, munitions manufactures, weapons makers and the people that actually PROFIT from these wars, they figure the people most confused as to why we need this war and are starting to have more and more negative feelings and sentiments over this war on a philosophy, not a war on a country. It also is starting more and more to look like a war about Religion rather than spreading democracy.

November 25, 2009 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  17. Dustin

This is craziness..
    Its the governments war....I certainly did not agree to this. How bout if you want some money..take it out of the ol GWB pocket book!

November 25, 2009 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  18. Stop the Spending

Are you nuts?!!?. These are the same clowns who spent 787 billion on a stimulus that creates jobs at a $230,000 cost. The same people that want to spend 1.2 Trillion dollars on health care that collects taxes for 3 years before any benefit is truely had.

How do you pay for a war...cut the spending elsewhere. Simple. Stop TARP, stop bailouts, stop spending the rest of the stimulus, etc and you can pay for the war. Tough, it was a war started by another president, but the last time I checked Congress overwhelming agreed to go to war. I did not see any congressman or sentor in 2001/02 worrying about the cost. This is the war that this president called "the war of neccesity."

This Democratic congress has robbed the bank and now is asking the very same bank they robbed to pay them back.

November 25, 2009 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  19. forexpreneur

Of course Nazi Pelosi is for a war tax. She wants to drain the pockets of the "rich" as much as she can. I believe the woman may be mentally retarded but that is my opinion. California is in a serious finanical crisis and she is certainly a big part of the problem. Give free money to the immagrants and tax the rich is the only motto she knows. I would live in California again but she is a big reason why I don't. The other big part of the reason is the immagrants who are sucking the tax money like there is no tomorrow and give absolute no thanks for it. Maybe they should be sent to the war.

November 25, 2009 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  20. loublou

No, no, no. Bring them all home and let this country deal with it's own problems. We have enough of our own.

November 25, 2009 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  21. xnone

Wow - when I can't afford something, I just plain don't do it, don't buy it, whatever. How much do I have to sacrifice for something I don't believe in or agree with?

November 25, 2009 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  22. Patrick Fuchs

Let's be clear, America was attacked by the Taliban supported group al Queda. We are at war (not a police action) against both groups. Both groups are fanatical, extremely dangerous and attempting to expand throughout their region of the globe. In no way whatsoever is America up against a different type of group than those that fought against us in the 1940's. The names are different, but the situations are completely identical. America had war bonds in the 40's. People were buying those bonds to fight a cause that could not be lost. If America gives up today's fight, where will we be in 2035 or 2050? Now is the time to decide this issue. Tax us all... It is a worthwhile cost. I do not mind fighting against another group of Nazis.

November 25, 2009 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  23. dustin

Well, this war has to be paid for some how.

November 25, 2009 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  24. David

I have two feelings about this. Our country was built by citizens funding and sustaining the military. At the same time you must be very careful to ensure none of this taxation touches our military members. How could we possibly ask them not only to give everything for their country, but to help pay for it at the same time? I would like to see the exact wording of any bill of this nature before it was even debated.

November 25, 2009 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  25. Nathaniel

There is some good it the idea. At least everyone would be involved. I would also suggest a higher tax rate for those (corporations) who may be profiting from the war.

November 25, 2009 12:24 am at 12:24 am |