November 24th, 2009

Pelosi keeps door open on war tax

Speaker Pelosi said Tuesday that 'there is serious unrest' in the House Democratic Caucus over funding the Afghanistan war.

Washington (CNN) - Speaker Nancy Pelosi kept the door open Tuesday to a proposal by several senior House Democrats to impose a graduated surtax on American taxpayers to finance the war in Afghanistan.

While Pelosi wasn't pressed about the details of the new war tax, she pointed to strong reservations among Congressional Democrats about the costs of the war during a conference call Tuesday with several economic writers and bloggers.

"But let me say that there is serious unrest in our Caucus about can we afford this war?" Pelosi said.

Two years ago when House Appropriations Chairman David Obey, D-Wisconsin, floated a similar war tax to pay for the war in Iraq, Pelosi quickly rejected it. But on Tuesday Pelosi said the costs of the war and the impact they will have on other domestic priorities should be part of the discussion over U.S. strategy in Afghanistan.

In addition to Obey, several senior Democrats close to Pelosi have signed on as co-sponsors of the "Share the Sacrifice Act." These include Defense Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman John Murtha, D-Pennsylvania, Ways and Means Chairman Charlie Rangel, D-New York, Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank, D-Massachusetts, and the third ranking House Democrat John Larson, D-Connecticut. Obey projects that an escalation of significantly more U.S. troops to Afghanistan will cost about $1 trillion over the next ten years.

Filed under: Afghanistan • Democrats • Extra • House • Nancy Pelosi • Popular Posts
  1. dwayne

Dick Cheney (5 deferments) a republican not brave enough to serve in the United States Military (led 8 wasted years in Afghanistan – a failed war).

November 24, 2009 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  2. StillDad in Naperville

Pelosi and her crowd have never seen, and never will see, a tax they don't like. That aside, I love the name of the bill, "Share the Sacrifice Act". How about they apply that term to social security and healthcare? If the 535 idiots we have in Washington had to "share the sacrifice" and had to rely upon social security for their retirement like the rest of the country and didn't make an exemption for themselves with their insane health care proposals I guarantee you that whatever needs fixing would be fixed pronto. Does anyone think for a minute that the social security fund would be littered with I.O.U.'s and be in danger of running out if our freinds in Washington were depending on it? Wake up everyone!

November 24, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  3. ronvan

I voted for our President and support him, but that does not mean I support this "failed" war/conflict, started by bush/cheney, and now Obama is "stuck" with trying to figure out which way to go. It is time for US, the american people, to tighten up our belts, a little more, take the tax increase and hope that this mess can end. Then we can try to get over ALL the other problems, but it will not be quick or easy!

November 24, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  4. Jeff

San Fran Nan has never met a tax that she didn't like, so this is certainly not a surprise. To quote a sign that was seen at a Tea Party earlier this year... Why pass a tax when you can just print money?

November 24, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  5. Andy, Pennsylvania

Amen! If we think it is important to fight the war, we should be ready to pay for it!

November 24, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  6. john harrison

of course we need a war tax, we also need a peace tax, a bathroom tax, we already have a gas tax and a be successful tax, what is another one, it would be a lot simplier if we just gave all of our money to the lady from California and let her give to the unions, acorn and other wise users of money

November 24, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  7. Donna Lee

While I am mostly a Democrat, I think Nancy has lost her mind! With all the people out of work and so many others struggling just to hang on, what in the HELL is she thinking?????

November 24, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  8. Anonymous

nancy;

why dont you get rid of your private jet and fly commercial

November 24, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  9. marc

War Tax? I simply do not understand Democrats like Pelosi or Barney Fife (oops I meant Franks). They do not want to support Ron Paul's bill to audit the Federal Reserve, vote to use billions of tax payer money to bail out CEOs, banks and anyone else they have sold their support too any yet still want to take more money in the form of a "war tax" from the very same constitituents they swore to support and were voted in by? Are they ill?

November 24, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  10. hmmm...

It becomes more and more clear that our hard earned dollars are simply political tools to those who wish to gain power. I hope this is what everyone hoped for when they cast their votes. Our government is costing us more and more as it grows larger and less effective.

November 24, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  11. Bpin

This goes to show you that the US is in total dire straits financially. Surely the liberals can come up with a way to create a debt surplus out of the war. War tax, healthcare tax, and an increase in the general tax, and only about 57% of Americans paying any tax because of "entitlement". All of you libs that are just the cheerleaders of all this massive spending, you do understand you will have to pay for it, right? Or, maybe you are all part of that 43% that is on the free ride.

November 24, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Leave it to Pelosi to add yet more taxes to support a war she's against.

November 24, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  13. Rita

The Democrats will threaten a war tax so that they can turn the American people against the war....that's the real reason. If you want $$$ to finance – scrap the massive Health Care Bill and the millions sent to phony organizations like ACORN.

November 24, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  14. blaine

Of course she open to the idea. More government revenue for her to spend.

November 24, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  15. Rob

Awesome idea. Lets tax everyone more. This person does not know how to run a country. I thought they promised to pull out of both wars as part of the election promise..........

November 24, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  16. Moe, NY

I would like to suggest that these politicans sign on to share the sacrifices that the economy is forcing American citizens to make. No way do I want my tax dollars supporting war. This is beyond outrageous. The gall of these politicans is just incredible. This one just might push the taxpayers to revolt big time. As for these two wars, just bring our soliders home where they belong. Our government refuses to let them fight, but plays politics with their lives. Enough!

November 24, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  17. Jenn, Philadelphia

Of course she's open to a "war tax". Nancy Pelosi hasn't met a tax she doesn't like yet. Pretty soon those making over $200,000 will be taxed so much they won't be making that amount any more.

November 24, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  18. cgsailor

This is a joke, right? I mean under Madam Pelosi's reign this group has run up cartoon number deficits...and NOW they're worried about the cost of backing up our military?

November 24, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  19. Ron - St. Louis

Good god, I am a democrat and I ashamed of this woman. I guess every party has their lemons but darn if we didn't get a pair with one in each house. We finally win the whole thing and just when think our president can really shine and change the world, these two idiots (Reid and Pelosi) show up. Talk about a turd in a punch bowl.

If I were the president, my first order of business tomorrow morning would be to dump these two anchors weighing me down and then make a real difference and get to work on the economy followed by a real health care bill. Not some watered down, loop hole ladened 2200 page bill that has no teeth and will do nothing.

I loved our president but since he has been in office I have seen little actual progress. This idea of throwing vague ideas out to congress and thinking they are going to play fair and do the right thing is like trusting Wall Street to never make the same mistake twice. Get a clue Mr. President and say good-bye to Reid and Pelosi before they wreck this country and your career.

November 24, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  20. FED up

This is absolute bull. It's time to sweep all these idiots out of DC. I'd like to share my sacrifices to this lousy economy with a swift boot up each and every one of these politicians behinds. Bring our troops home now!

November 24, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  21. Brad

Perfect! Now the military industrial complex will go straight to the sheep ( taxpayers ) for their salaries and bonuses. They're bleeding us dry people.

November 24, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  22. John, Holly Springs NC

You're kidding, right? What else is the working class of America going to pay for? All I do is work to pay taxes. When do I get to keep what I worked for?

If you're going to tax me for a war I think next time our leaders want to go to war and tax me on it I should have a vote as to whether or not I want to go to war!

November 24, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  23. angmag55

I do not want to pay my tax dollars for a War that is beginning to be like Vietnam and it is all about Religion and Oil or Natural Gas Pipelines as we are not stupid enough to believe anything else. Because if it was about 9-11 where is Osama Bin Laden?? It has been 8 years and we still do not have him with all the things we have out there that can pick a fly landing on a horse's butt but we can't find Bin Laden!! You in our Government think we that are not in Government are stupid!! Seems to me we need to take care of Americans the way the jobless rates are and with this Imminent Threat of H1N1!!! Leave our Money alone!! You lied again about Taxing the little Guy!!!

November 24, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  24. Scott

God, where's the Holy Water, Garlic and wooden stake when you need it? I feel like we're being haunted by this crone from San Francisco.

November 24, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  25. Tom

Well it's about time! If we are going to make war, let's pay for it out of our own pockets, rather than having the Chinese finance it for us, and foreclose on us later.

November 24, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |