November 30th, 2009

Huckabee unsure about another presidential bid

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee says he will be looking at the 2010 midterm election results as part of his decisionmaking about 2012.

(CNN) - Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said Sunday he remains undecided about another presidential run in 2012, but called the possibility "less likely than more likely."

Appearing on "FOX News Sunday," Huckabee noted the election is almost three years away and that, regardless of what happens between now and then, President Barack Obama will be a tough opponent.

"It's hard to say. A lot of it depends on how the elections turn out next year," Huckabee said of the 2010 mid-term vote expected to bring some Republican gains in Congress.

A recent USA Today/Gallup poll showed Huckabee was the front-runner among possible Republican nominees for 2012. However, Huckabee said he would need assurances that the Republican Party would unite behind his candidacy, unlike 2008 when he was considered an outsider by the GOP mainstream.

"It's less likely than more likely," Huckabee said of running for the GOP nomination again. Besides, he said, he's got a good job now.

"The reason I wouldn't is this FOX gig I've got right now ... is really, really wonderful," Huckabee said of his talk show on the network.

"Jumping into the pool, you've got to make sure there's some water in it," he said, later adding: "It's a wonderful experience, but I am nowhere near ready to say that's what I want to do three years from now."

Filed under: 2012 • Mike Huckabee • Popular Posts
  1. USN

Randal ....get help. And go to Frisco .

November 29, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  2. Nurse

To Randal , Yes I do know what makes a good prez and I.m fairly certain Marxist beliefs are not part of it .

November 29, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  3. Jazz

Randall from Detroit,

You are racist fool with diarrhea of the mouth, I suspect you are amongst the 50% of Detroiters who didn't graduate high school. If you continue to spout off random biased uneducated tidbits of trash please continue to remain in California, as we have no use for your kind in Michigan, you give all Detroiters a bad name.

Jazz from Detroit

November 29, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. bennie new york

If we weren't living in the year of Sarah Palin, death panels, and Glenn Beck, then Huckabee would be major pain for me. But considering that he's an intelligent, articulate man in a time when his party is a diluted caricature, he's someone I don't mind much. Do I agree with his veiws? Absolutely not, but it's very sad when an intelligent figure such as Huckabee is less popular than a braindead, two-bit caricature like Sarah Palin. That's probably the ultimate statement of what the Republican Party is- it's not about the communication of ideas, it's about blind, uninformed, agitprop rage and personality. Huckabee is past his time- he would have fit much better into the Reagan era than the Days of the Death Panel.

November 29, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Bill from CA

As a moderate, I supported Obama in 2008 and don't regret that decision. I am mixed about the job he has done so far, however he isn't even 1/4 of the way through his term so I am waiting to see how the next few years shape up before I make a decision to support anyone else. As our president, we need to realize that when we root for his failure, like many of the right-wingers regularly do, we are also rooting for our own failure.

As for 2012, I like Huckabee personally, but think we need to avoid having another president who is in bed with the church like Bush was. I'm sure in three years there will be a few new candidates to discuss, but in the meantime the media is just regurgitating the failed candidates from the 2008 primaries so they have something to write about. The only one I think is both capable and qualified to be president is Romney. If anyone else from the 2008 pool (including Sarah Palin) emerges as the nominee, you might as well just hand Obama a second term.

November 29, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  6. Kevin Kranz

Stupidity is forgivable......... ignorance is not. The republican mindset is pure ignorance therefore unforgivable.

November 29, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  7. JonPeter, Hartford, CT

I'm not a big fan of Huckabee, but if the choice for the GOP is between Huckabee and Palin, I hope Mike decides to run. I disagree with Gov. Huckabee's thinking (his) religious beliefs should be included in gov't policy. However, overall Mike has has a far better thought out and measured career than sarah could ever dream of having.

November 29, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  8. ben Lawrence

valwayne, get a grip. do you really think bumbling McCain and Palin could've done a better job under the circumstances. If you think yes, you NEED God, just not in the government.

November 29, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  9. Bev

It won't be Huckbee-–it will be Romney!!!

Romney is a financial/business genius!!

If we still have an economy/country remaining after 4 years of Obama and the Democrats-–Romney is the BEST candidate to save what is left of our economy/country!!!

One thing for sure--it won't be Obama!!

Based on numerous national polls--Obama does NOT have a chance.

The Democrats plan on running someone against Obama in 2012!!!

November 29, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. Tim in Chicago

I think that Huckabee would be an excellent candidatge for the GOP and that they should think seriuosly about encouraging him to run. He would be a far better candidate than Sarah Palin, to be sure, with his knowledge of the issues and his ability to articulate his positions. But he also has the moderate conservative positions that might bring voters to support him. And this from a guy who voted for Obama.

November 29, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. RDL

Huck has too much baggage. He is too far right, too tied in with religion, has a son who is an animal abuser, there's his own ethics violation when he pressured cops to not investigate his son, and his gubernatorial record on commuting sentences of murderers and setting free a rapist that went on to rape two more women. I seriously doubt he would have a chance.

November 29, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  12. Four and The Door

That was awful kind of Huckabee to say what a tough opponent Obama would be.

I like Huckabee more now because he does have a good sense of humor. Sarcastic, but catchy!

November 29, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  13. Bren

I think that Romney will be the nominee-–and he should pick Huckabee as his VP running mate.

I personally do not have strong support/feelings in favor of Huckabee--but he would be harmless in the VP position.

Plus, Huckabee as Romney's VP running mate-–would seal the deal for the Republicans and Romney in the Southern Baptist states!!!

November 29, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  14. Kevin Kranz

nurse: Yes I do know what makes a good prez and I.m fairly certain Marxist beliefs are not part of it .

-Please state some of these Marxist beliefs. I'm quite sure you don't have a clue what Karl Marx believed if you equate it with the agenda of our highly intelligent self made genius of a president. But then you republicans are the party of high school dropouts and welfare recipients, unlike the graduate school level of education that the democratic party heralds.
    -Also, isn't your crying "where are the jobs" a little socialist?

November 29, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  15. ThinkAgain

Don't forget that Huckabee was the one who, during the 2008 presidential campaign made a joke – a JOKE – about then-candidate Obama being assassinated.

Huckabee was getting ready to speak at an NRA conference; there was a loud bang noise offstage, and Huckabee joked that someone was gunning for Obama.

To make a sick joke like that says volumes about a person. For Huckabee to EVER try to claim the higher ground and present himself as somehow morally superior to ANYONE is a disgrace and the epitome of hypocrisy (and, unfortunately, all too common these days among so-called “Christians”).

Only a fool would be taken in by this huckster.

November 29, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  16. Kevin Kranz

Bev: The Democrats plan on running someone against Obama in 2012!!!

Thank you for confirming how easy you are to fool!!!! Have you bought your 2012 amulet yet? you can't get on the ark without one!

November 29, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  17. Gary Allen

3 years is a long ways away..................I'm an indendent voter but the one thing I know for sure is that Obama will not be in the running for 2012.

November 29, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. ThinkAgain

First of all, it's nutty to be even talking about the next presidential election.

Second of all, Huckabee doesn't understand the separation of Church and State explicitly stated in the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, not to mention the fact that he doesn't believe in evolution.

With the human and technological challenges facing our nation for many years to come, the last thing we need in the White House is a person like Huckabee.

November 29, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  19. American Expat

The only thing I can say is he would be slightly, repeat, slightly better than Sara Palin!

November 29, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  20. Bev

Kevin Kranz:

Bev: The Democrats plan on running someone against Obama in 2012!!!

===============================

Yep, the Democrats have seen the polls---Obama has lost the support of the majority of Independents, whites, senior citizens, military, etc.

Obama is just like Carter--one and done--and the Dems already know this!!!

I have read numerous articles--based on unnamed sources from Washington--–that the Dems plan on running somone against Obama in 2012!!

November 29, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  21. Kevin Kranz

jazz: You are racist fool with diarrhea of the mouth, I suspect you are amongst the 50% of Detroiters who didn't graduate high school.

So let me get this straight....... Randall is a racist because he calls out the racism in your joke of a party? I know this is a tough concept but:
    intolerance of intolerance is NOT intolerance. I don't really expect you to understand because like a child, you really don't see the fallacy of your argument. PLEASE LEAVE THE GOVERNING TO THE ONES COMPETENT TO DO IT!!!!!

November 29, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  22. glen in dallas

Yes Yes Yes...please run for president. What the heck is wrong with having a christian as president. Is it better that we have a muslim?

November 29, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. Death Panel Sarah

Hey Bev.....I guess we all missed those polls....Where were they , on Faux news???
    Ha Ha, please listen to REAL news next time, not to Faux and talk radio delusions!!!

November 29, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. James from NJ/Dubai

To be honest, Mike Huckabee was the most candid and straight up republican in 2008. That's something that I really respect. He didn't hide behind vague words or unclear ideas. If he had something, he would say it. You just don't get that kind of honesty very often. On the flip side, his religious dedication gives him great morals but turns people off because it makes him stubborn towards certain ideas that could probably use some changing.

Overall, I would love to see him run if he could pull himself away from some of his hyper-religious beliefs. Regardless, I truly respect him for how he ran his campaign. I'm interested to see where he goes next.

November 29, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  25. Lou

Wow Bev! Tell me the last time a party ran a nominee of the same party as that of the sitting president. If Obama chooses not to run in 2012 then the Democrat Party WILL find someone else. Never does someone of the same party run against the incumbent running for a second term. Duh! I'm surprised you're not all over Palin. I see a similarity in intellect there.

November 29, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |