Washington (CNN) - Alleged White House party crashers Tareq and Michaele Salahi attended an exclusive reception for the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation in September, but were asked to leave when it was discovered they did not have tickets for the event, a foundation spokesman said Tuesday.
President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama also attended that fundraising dinner, but foundation spokesman Lance Jones emphasized that "at no time did Mr. and Mrs. Salahi have access to President Obama and Mrs. Obama."
The Salahis attended Obama's first official state dinner last week for visiting Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, but White House officials said they were not invited. Officials say they got into the event due to a breach in security.
The couple has publicly said they did not "party-crash" the state dinner and were cooperating with a Secret Service investigation into the matter.
Jones said that at the CBC foundation's fundraiser two months ago, he saw the Salahis at the pre-dinner reception, and later in the evening was informed that the couple was seated at a table without tickets. The table was in the event's "Gold Section," where tables sell for $20,000 each.
"At that time, I went to grab a few security personnel, who were not Secret Service," Jones said. "We walked with (security) to the table and just tried to sort everything out. When we realized they did not have tickets, the security personnel escorted them out."
Jones said the couple "tried to give off the image that they belonged there, but I could tell they seemed a bit out of sorts."
Jones said he told the security officers - who were employed by the foundation - to escort the couple from the dinner, but he did not personally witness the Salahis leaving the room.
In an interview on NBC's "Today" show Tuesday, the Salahis denied Jones' assertion that they were uninvited guests at the fundraising dinner. The couple said they were invited by a law firm to attend the event.
"Yes, we were invited," Tareq Salahi told NBC's Matt Lauer. "This is the first time I've ever heard, you know, another false accusation against my wife and I saying that we weren't invited there. We were invited there by the Gardner Law Group. We were a guest of theirs, proud guest of theirs. And no, were we escorted out? Of course not. That's another gossip rumor."
Jones said the foundation has no record of the law firm purchasing tickets to the fundraiser.
When the pre-dinner reception at the fundraiser ended, the "Secret Service began ushering people inside the hall for the dinner," Jones said.
"From what I hear, they (the Salahis) were turned away from the dining hall itself because they did not have the actual tickets," Jones said. "From there it is coming out that they had apparently gone through the kitchen area to get into the Phoenix Awards Dinner."
The spokesman added that in the weeks leading up to the September fundraising dinner, the Bravo television network had requested a table for free, which the foundation declined to provide.
"Bravo had been contacting us, trying to secure a table for free, because I think they were going to try and film the 'Real Housewives' in the dinner," Jones said.
Bravo later told the foundation that it had "secured two tickets to the chairman's reception" that takes place before the dinner, Jones said.
Bravo previously acknowledged that Michaele Salahi is being considered as a cast member for the series "The Real Housewives of D.C."
- CNN's Bob Kovach and Deirdre Walsh contributed to this report.