KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) - The latest U.S. strategy for the 8-year-old war in Afghanistan will be a "fiasco" that will lead only to more dead Americans, the Taliban insurgency said Thursday.
President Barack Obama laid out plans to dispatch another 30,000 U.S. troops to Afghanistan this week, along with an expected contribution of at least 5,000 more from NATO countries. But the Taliban, the Islamic militia now battling U.S. and allied troops there, said the plans Obama laid out aren't new and won't resolve the conflict.
"Throughout the history of Afghanistan, the Afghans have not been subjugated through deceit, ploys, material power, troop reinforcement and military might of the foreigners," Taliban leaders said in a statement released Thursday. "Therefore, the reinforcement of the American troops and other tactics will not have impact on the status quo. But the reinforcement will provide better opportunity for the mujahedeen to launch offensives."
The U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 pushed out the Taliban, which had allowed the al Qaeda terrorist network responsible for the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington to operate from its territory. The goal of the buildup Obama announced Tuesday night is to turn back the Taliban resurgence, bolster the government of Afghan President Hamid Karzai and allow American forces to begin withdrawing in July 2011.
But the Taliban said Obama's plan "will fail like it did previously. It will face fiasco."