December 4th, 2009
9 months ago

Clinton: 'It's daunting' planning a wedding

(CNN) – Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she is thrilled about her daughter's engagement, but isn't sure how she will find the time to plan the wedding.

"I am officially an MOTB: a mother of the bride," Clinton said Friday in an interview with CNN's John Roberts. "And I am very excited about it"

Clinton's daughter, Chelsea, is engaged to marry Marc Mezvinsky, the son of former congressmen Marjorie Margolies-Mezvinsky of Pennsylvania and Ed Mezvinsky of Iowa.

"For me, [it's] particularly an extraordinary moment to see how happy my daughter is and to have a wonderful man that will become my son-in-law. But it's daunting to try and plan a wedding."

Related video: Clinton discusses NATO troops.

Clinton, who has been criss-crossing the globe since becoming Secretary of State, said she recently received an encouraging call from former Secretary of State Madeline Albright.

"Madeline Albright called me the other night and said, 'Well, when I was Secretary of State and had not a minute to myself, I had to plan a wedding, so if you need any advice, just call me,'" Clinton told Roberts in an interview in Brussels, where she is trying to rally European support for President Obama's new strategy in Afghanistan. "And I said, "I'll be calling."

Clinton said the size of the wedding has not been determined, but noted it would be private.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton • Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. CNN please stop the coverage of the Clinton wedding

CNN you have the chance now to stop yourself before ever small thing that happens is covered by you

Don't do it, we don't want it, it is not news, at least I had hopes that it was not CNN news, I thought you mght be a news organization that covered more serious matters

If you must cover it, why put it on the ticker

move Palin, the young Clinton and other like subjects to entertainment

December 4, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Hillary you and Bill did an outstanding job raising your daughter by all appearances. She is a poised, classy and beautiful young lady and we wish her the very best in her upcoming nuptials. It'll probably be a difficult thing to do, Chelsea being your only child, but it might help if you stuck to the old adage: keep it (elegantly) simple! Congratulations!

December 4, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  3. Rick McDaniel

It's Chelsea's wedding. Let her do the planning. You can just fund it.

December 4, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  4. Fred the Moderate

It's probably the hardest thing you've done sense you got in office

December 4, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  5. Sharon Northern Virginia

To the Clinton Family,

It is nice to see all of you so Happy. To God Be The Glory.

December 4, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  6. T'SAH from Virginia

I am so happy for you Hillary! She will be a beautiful bride and both you and Bill should be very proud!!! Good Luck!

Chelsea – U GO GIRL!!!

December 4, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. Danny in VA

She's right, it's tough. She should resign her post immediately and focus on the wedding.

December 4, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  8. Mike

Maybe Desiree Rogers can help with the planning of the wedding!

December 4, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  9. Rick CT

Have Bill do it. He's not doing anything. Chelsea is also probably smart enough to help. Otherwise, use your village.

Geez, it's not that complicated.

December 4, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  10. Marry

Congratulations, Madam Secretary and best wishes for the young couple and for a very happy future!

December 4, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  11. single mom

I'm sure Chelsea and Hillary will be doing everything. Yeah, right. They'll have a society wedding planner, probably already called the one who did Ivanka Trump's.
    Yes, I know there'll be details only they can decide on, but, really, does anyone actually expect the Secretary of State to stop everything and plan a wedding? We wouldn't even think about asking the question if it was a man, so why ask a woman?
    Sort of the way Palin was treated – No one asked Obama how he was going to be a good father to his young girls.

December 4, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  12. diridi

chelsea, we love you and say good luck with your life....we love your parents so dearly.....say our love to them....god bless!!!!!

December 4, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. kybill

I just hope our media systems will let the wedding be private, and not turn it into a three ring circus

December 4, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |