December 5th, 2009
8 months ago

Palin defends Obama birth certificate inquiries

Sarah Palin says 'members of the electorate still want answers' about President Obama's citizenship.

Washington (CNN) – Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin defended the public's right to question the legitimacy of President Obama's birth certificate, but noted that she is not demanding for it to be released.

Appearing on conservative radio host Rusty Humphries program, Palin said that she supports people inquiring about it.

"I think the public rightfully is still making it an issue," Palin said in the interview with Humphries. "I don't have a problem with that. I don't know if I would have to bother to make it an issue, because I think that members of the electorate still want answers."

Humphries, whose radio show airs on about 300 stations across the country, went on to press Palin about whether it is "fair" game to ask such questions.

"I think it's a fair question, just like I think past association and past voting records - all of that is fair game," Palin responded.

She also criticized her own presidential campaign for not asking enough questions about Obama.

"The McCain-Palin campaign didn't do a good enough job in that area," the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate said. "We didn't call out Obama and some of his associates on their records and what their beliefs were and perhaps what some of their future plans were and I don't think that was fair to voters to not have done our job as candidates.

The interview aired at 10:30 p.m. ET, and just a few hours later Palin made it clear in a posting on her Facebook page that she, personally, is not asking to see it.

"Voters have every right to ask candidates for information if they so choose," Palin said. "I've pointed out that it was seemingly fair game during the 2008 election for many on the left to badger my doctor and lawyer for proof that Trig is in fact my child. Conspiracy-minded reporters and voters had a right to ask... which they have repeatedly. But at no point – not during the campaign, and not during recent interviews – have I asked the president to produce his birth certificate or suggested that he was not born in the United States."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Randy

Well I see CNN doesn't have anything else to report on more of the lame Palin crap. The exectives must be in love with her.

December 5, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. Reality

No one with any sense takes this woman seriously.

December 5, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  3. busyMOM

his white American mother makes him AMERICAN.....he could have been born on Jupiter....expats have kids overseas everyday and the kids are American......American soldiers have kids everyday overseas, the kids are declared American.

i am fed up with nonthinkers like her that think their opinion matters, please CNN find the rock she crawled under after abandoning her Governor duties and place her back......i am a working soccer mom in suburbia and i am not interested Palin. Can you add solutions to the current economic crisis, and please don't say "commen sense".

December 5, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. VON BISMARK -Vienna

One more thing Guv,what about the AIP you addressed recomending it for the good work it is doing? and of which your husband has been up to recently a member?

December 5, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. Carl Justus

They should investigate if she got a diploma or finish school even high school. She could pay someone to monitor her college classes and do her writing–She and Bush must have had the same monitor.

December 5, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. Mena

Too bad Palin has already done her part to taint America's gene pool by breeding! I live in AZ and am in the minority here (1st generation American of Hispanic descent, Democrat, with a college education) and I cannot tell you how infuriating it is seeing all of the blind, racist sheep that act like McCain was robbed and Palin is a female Jesus!! I've seen tons of signs saying "Palin/Jindal 2012" and I say bring it on. A woman who makes Barbie look like Einstein and a man that is "proud" of his Middle Eastern heritage but refuses to be addressed by his real name, instead going by the nickname of "Bobby" which he picked up from watching "The Brady Bunch"? That would be sure to tear down the Republican party once and for all and I would be amongst those leading the parade! The Republican party may have had noble roots and ideals when it started but it lost those a very long time ago. Wake up, people, before you let the racist, "God-fearing," Republican party of today ruin the greatest country on Earth! I may identify as a Democrat for voting reasons but when asked I answer w/ Patriot. That's what I am first and foremost and what this country needs more of.

December 5, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. Erika PW

What's funny to me is that there was/is SO much demand from the supposed "public" for Obama to produce his birth certificate....yet, this public was/is not demanding to see Palin's or McCain's birth certificate. This "public" supposedly has legitimate questions about whether or not Obama is an American citizen (hmmmm, I wonder why...could it have anything to do with heavy pigmentation?) although he was born in Hawaii....yet, this same "public" asks nothing about Palin, who was born in Alaska....

Considering that the right-winged nuts are supposed to be these true Christian Americans, pushing from independence from the government and more "freedon" to live their lives, this has GOT to be the biggest display of hypocrisy I've seen in my young life...

December 5, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. RSB

It's OK to ask those questions as long as they're not asked of Sarah. She would think this was a 'gotcha' question and blame the media. She needs to remember that what's good for one is good for all. I'm sure that's a concept she'll never understand. With all her political knowledge she should know he couldn't have made it this far without producing a birth certificate. Maybe she didn't have to and that's why it's confusing to her.

December 5, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  9. Ben

Liz. I'm a liberal who is not into having big government in my lives, trying to mold the values of private individuals, but Palin seems like the kind of politician who wants to make an issue of values and what values are right for the American people. I think government should be there to help people and help foster conditions that will allow people to live the best lives they can live in the way they see fit, not create restrictions to hinder people's right to make a choice. Government should thus have oversight of big business, expecially financial institution and large corporations but not over the personal values of individuals.

December 5, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. John in Tampa

One has to admit she's got balls, coming as she does from another planet.

December 5, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. jane

I do not care what Sarah Palin "defends." But I sometimes scan your articles about her just for entertainment, which I imagine a lot of people do. That does not mean we are interested in them as news, however. Are you an entertainment source or a news source?

December 5, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |