December 5th, 2009
8 months ago

Palin defends Obama birth certificate inquiries

Sarah Palin says 'members of the electorate still want answers' about President Obama's citizenship.

Washington (CNN) – Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin defended the public's right to question the legitimacy of President Obama's birth certificate, but noted that she is not demanding for it to be released.

Appearing on conservative radio host Rusty Humphries program, Palin said that she supports people inquiring about it.

"I think the public rightfully is still making it an issue," Palin said in the interview with Humphries. "I don't have a problem with that. I don't know if I would have to bother to make it an issue, because I think that members of the electorate still want answers."

Humphries, whose radio show airs on about 300 stations across the country, went on to press Palin about whether it is "fair" game to ask such questions.

"I think it's a fair question, just like I think past association and past voting records - all of that is fair game," Palin responded.

She also criticized her own presidential campaign for not asking enough questions about Obama.

"The McCain-Palin campaign didn't do a good enough job in that area," the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate said. "We didn't call out Obama and some of his associates on their records and what their beliefs were and perhaps what some of their future plans were and I don't think that was fair to voters to not have done our job as candidates.

The interview aired at 10:30 p.m. ET, and just a few hours later Palin made it clear in a posting on her Facebook page that she, personally, is not asking to see it.

"Voters have every right to ask candidates for information if they so choose," Palin said. "I've pointed out that it was seemingly fair game during the 2008 election for many on the left to badger my doctor and lawyer for proof that Trig is in fact my child. Conspiracy-minded reporters and voters had a right to ask... which they have repeatedly. But at no point – not during the campaign, and not during recent interviews – have I asked the president to produce his birth certificate or suggested that he was not born in the United States."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Rob in NC

Sure it's ok to ask these tough questions. Wink Wink.....just don't ask me any.

December 5, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  2. DCTWMT

what a piece of dirt she is.....

December 5, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. Tarin

I can't believe people are still interested in what Sarah Palin has to say.

December 5, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  4. Todd A

What this woman and most republicans fail to realize is that you don't "call out" other's past associations and voting records to win an election. You paint yourself as the better person and point out what YOU can do, NOT what the other has or hasn't done.

But that is the republican MO, swiftboat style attacks.

December 5, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. Tim

This is just more proof that Sarah Palin is the worst kind of political hack. Rather than commenting on the huge issues we have facing us today and proposing real solutions she would rather talk about this nonsense. Given her checkered past associations I find it even more amaing that she would continue to pursue this non issue.

December 5, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  6. jstsaying

Wow, Palin cries everyday about offensive press...now, if you can complete this thought rationally you will be part of her demise.

December 5, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  7. Dee Dee Lynn

Where's the headline about the improved jobs numbers?

I hope this ridiculous woman is the Republican nominee in 2012 (which seems more likely now that Huckabee has a Willie Horton problem), and I hope the basis of her campaign is questioning Obama's citizenship and his associates.

It will be a repeat of the role she played in 2008, and with the same results...

December 5, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  8. llinmpls

CNPALIN covers this issue well. Next time while she is insisting that she isn't saying what in fact she is saying could you at least post a swimsuit photo of her?

December 5, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. closetoyou

Sarah, perhaps if the McCain campaign people would have asked enough questions about you, you never would have been selected to be his running. Time for you to step back now out of the spotlight and start being a mother to all of your children. Media: PLEASE stop writing about this woman, she is a non-issue. Very few people care about what she says, thinks or does.

December 5, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  10. avlfrk

But on the other hand Ms. Palin doesn't think it's "fair game" for an interviewer to ask her what she reads?!?!? This woman is a walking contradiction...an absolute phony!!!

December 5, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  11. Dan

Love how asking Obama questions is fair. Asking her doctor questions is 'badgering'. Can't have it both ways, Sarah, sorry.

December 5, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  12. rosher32

"I think it's a fair question, just like I think past association and past voting records – all of that is fair game," Palin responded.

Just dont ask any questions of her – then it becomes sexist and evil.

December 5, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  13. Robert Gunther

She is such a slick politician. she Knows what riles up her right wing nut job base!

December 5, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. FM

The more I hear from Sarah, the more I get the really picture of how is her thinking capacity.
    How did this woman managed to reach at the level of being a governor? It is quite astonishing!

December 5, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. Puddin

Will the media never let it rest on Palin!! She's old, stale news. The same goes for Tiger Woods. Let it rest. As the Clintons should have been, his and his wife's problems are just that....his and his wife's problems. The public is sick and tired of all this hogwash.

December 5, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. Jeff Brown in Jersey

PLEASE keep Sarah in the spotlight! The more we see her and listen to her high pitched, obnoxious babble, the greater the chances of President Obama winning a second term!!!!!

December 5, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  17. gypsydaveywithablowtorch

She should defend them, their her biggest supporters, you know, the ones who truly love their country and don't want to see some half breed taking away their dream of a true theocracy

December 5, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. giddy democrat

Yes, moron, but the difference here is that the answer has been provided about nineteen thousand times and the dolts who follow you don't get it.

December 5, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  19. J.C. - Independent 4 Public Option

Senator McCain will never lower himself to criticize Palin. But I bet you he is regretting the biggest mistake he had ever made in his last election by choosing Palin. When you make decisions, make it for substance, not for political correctness.

December 5, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  20. Reagan was wrong

Yeah, get the angry mobs all riled up then exculpate yourself.

Vile hypocrite.

December 5, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  21. Greg

Typical right wing nut job, encourage other nut jobs to do your dirty work. Sarah Palin needs to go away.

December 5, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. ef political leaders

she's a sore loser!!!

December 5, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. sensible Cape Coral Fl

Good God, those Republicans really are desperate for an issue.

December 5, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  24. SocialismBad

Yes, voters and reporters have the right to ask politicians questions and expect honest answers. If the press had done their job and asked Obama questions and demanded detailed answers, he probably wouldn't have been elected president. Instead they participated in the marketing of this empty suit and now the country will pay for it for 4 years.

December 5, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  25. Frank Moseley

How many times does it have to be pointed out that Obama has released his OFFICIAL birth certificate issued by the state of Hawaii?

You cannot get a passport or a driver's license with a hospital issued birth certificate, because the document must have a government seal.

I don't have my hospital isued birth certificate and it is IRRELEVANT because I have my OFFICIAL birth certificate issed by the city I was born in.

If Sarah Palin cannot grasp this "simple" concept, how the hell could she ever be bit for ANY elected office?

December 5, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |