December 5th, 2009
11 months ago

Palin defends Obama birth certificate inquiries

Sarah Palin says 'members of the electorate still want answers' about President Obama's citizenship.

Washington (CNN) – Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin defended the public's right to question the legitimacy of President Obama's birth certificate, but noted that she is not demanding for it to be released.

Appearing on conservative radio host Rusty Humphries program, Palin said that she supports people inquiring about it.

"I think the public rightfully is still making it an issue," Palin said in the interview with Humphries. "I don't have a problem with that. I don't know if I would have to bother to make it an issue, because I think that members of the electorate still want answers."

Humphries, whose radio show airs on about 300 stations across the country, went on to press Palin about whether it is "fair" game to ask such questions.

"I think it's a fair question, just like I think past association and past voting records - all of that is fair game," Palin responded.

She also criticized her own presidential campaign for not asking enough questions about Obama.

"The McCain-Palin campaign didn't do a good enough job in that area," the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate said. "We didn't call out Obama and some of his associates on their records and what their beliefs were and perhaps what some of their future plans were and I don't think that was fair to voters to not have done our job as candidates.

The interview aired at 10:30 p.m. ET, and just a few hours later Palin made it clear in a posting on her Facebook page that she, personally, is not asking to see it.

"Voters have every right to ask candidates for information if they so choose," Palin said. "I've pointed out that it was seemingly fair game during the 2008 election for many on the left to badger my doctor and lawyer for proof that Trig is in fact my child. Conspiracy-minded reporters and voters had a right to ask... which they have repeatedly. But at no point – not during the campaign, and not during recent interviews – have I asked the president to produce his birth certificate or suggested that he was not born in the United States."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Carl

This poor excuse for a public servant has a lot of nerve questioning Obama's citizenship... Palin did not even finish her single term as governor of Alaska. The pursuit of MONEY is much more important! Whether he says it outloud or not...you got to believe that John McCain is regretting the day he laid eyes on this wacko. He helped to create a Frankensteinish monster in heels that will doom the GOP to failure in the 2012 race if nominated. There is a clear hate relationship between Palin and the mainstream media so they will be gunning for her...out to sink her ambitions to one day be president. It is particularly galling that Obama inherits a huge mess both domestic and international from the Idiot Bush. He is trying his best...and Palin and the rabid right haters continue to bite at his ankles. Over what? The silly BIRTHER argument? Palin is a national joke! She will NEVER be president! The only good thing is that Tina Fey's career is due for another upsurge!

December 5, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. Greg

As a Republican, I say we don't want her.

December 5, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  3. Tim

I've been under the impression that the issue of Obama's birthplace and birth certificate *has* been addressed, ad nauseum. And I figure Palin is quite aware of that.
    However, her response is understandable, giving that her supporters disproportionately think the birthplace issue is a real issue. She doesn't want to sound like she's talking down on her supporters.

December 5, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  4. Nancy

I'm a Republican, and I am getting more and more embarrassed to associate myself with this woman...I wish she was smart enough....to leave the political world....

December 5, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. Terry from West Texas

Sarah Palin is lying, which she often does. She has no suspicion that Obama was not born in Hawaii. She does know, however, that outrageous claims get her face in the news and stirs up the hayseeds, like her preposterous lie about "death panels."

I see no reason to tolerate Conservative falsehoods any more. For a long time, I treated my Conservative friends civilly when they repeated the most preposterous nonsense to me, having heard it from Limbaugh, Savage, Palin, Gingrich, any Republican in the Senate or the House, etc. I pretended that their point was a legitimate point of view and I quietly listed for them the proofs and verifiable sources that proved the opposite to be true.

Talking to a Conservative friend is sort of like talking to your grandfather who has Alzheimer's. You pretend that what he is saying makes sense. You reply, "No, Grandpa, Reagan isn't President any more. It's Obama now. Here, let me show you his picture in today's paper."

I'm tired of humoring the intellectual victims of our dishonest Conservative leadership.

December 5, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  6. Death Panel Sarah

To Socialismbad...
    Just why IS socialism bad?
    I bet you don't know.... you are just repeating a talk radio talking point!!!
    Actually, some social programs, like social security, medicare, the postal service, fire, and police depts. are quite fine, don't you agree?

December 5, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  7. Paul from Phoenix

And BTW, to all you hypocrites, the dems were questioning if McCain should be allowed to run because he was born on a military base, so get over yourselves.

December 5, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  8. Will S

McCain, on the other hand, was born in Panama and is NOT native born. The irony...

December 5, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  9. Joe

someone ask me how Obama got into Pakiston in the 1980's when Americans were not allowed to go there. Please, someone answer?? He showed his certificate of live birth, not Birth Certificate. At least recognize it's possible?

December 5, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  10. wayne

Why do you people at Fox keep legitimizing Palin??? Why?? Becuase senile McCain picked her as a running mate?? Or because she is a conservative? She brings nothing...nada..to the table, except a pretty face and a cheeerleader persona to the right wingnuts. Think about it!! Shes non versed in world affairs and ran a state govt with no population and a bunch of moose...oh excuse me...the state has OIL!!! What a pathetic state this country and its bi-polar media!!

December 5, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. No Huey in this hunt

Sarah, take a page from your own record and "quit it".

December 5, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  12. MJoe

If Palin wants to see President Obama's birth certificate, then she needs to produce the certificate for her son, Trigg!!

December 5, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  13. gord ontario

witch of the five republican party,s does she belong to i,m betting the purity party

December 5, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  14. Allen L Wenger

This really shows how little intelligence she has. She fits right in with the crying, scared tea baggers.

December 5, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. Steve C - Atlanta

She's not even pretty anymore.....

December 5, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  16. Stu- SW Florida

This "woman" is nothing more than an ankle biting Chihuahua for the GOP. She out there, by them, to pester with lies, accusations, fears and the usual trash the Republicans have to fight with. They'll soon realize that and toss her with the rest of the has beens.
    Does she, and anyone else posting in her favor, really believe that the GOP wouldn't have seriously run with this before, at or after the election? Does she really believe we are that dumb. Well there are a few. (The ones that bought "her" book, for instance)
    Perhaps she doesn't know that Hawaii is a state. It is the 50th. but since she can't count beyond her birth age she may not know that. She just keeps contributing to the DOA (Dumbing Of America)

December 5, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  17. Woonsocket

I am an ex Democrat because I don't like the way CNN has been raping Palin.

December 5, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  18. Breath of Heaven Lighten Our Darkness, pour your Holy over us

Wow, I thought CNN had closed comments to this.

It is not wrong for the Citizens to ask for the original, certifed, birth certificate of our President. I can't understand why it isn't or wasn't produced. We have a constitution that states our leader must be born American. There is no ifs or butts about it. I am not disputing if he was born American, but I am advocating we certainly stand by the original design of our Constitution which was given for our own good.

While I'm at it..I learned first hand this week how intrusive governement is into the lives of family after the death of my 31 year old niece regarding her children..I suggest every person in America start and look Governement policies (and who adn what is behind it) in the eye and use your energy to regain your destiny...it is too invasive into the personal.. Family should always be first not government!

December 5, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  19. Jamie

Palin is so weird.
    And, so horribly unaware of what a tool she is being used as by the crazy base of her party.
    They just keep encouraging her to go out there and stir the nutty pot.
    They are happy to let her wrap herself up in the banner of the hard-right... make herself the face of the religious and under-informed.
    Then, as the party has to pretend it's really more centrist than that in the elections next fall, they will drop her at the curb. They'll probably even say that she doesn't speak for the whole party... blah, blah blah.
    But, in the meantime, they're happy to have her keeping the crazies revved up and marching in their tea-party rallies.

December 5, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  20. rich in az

Mrs Palin, where is Trigs birth certificate, showing his biological parents?

December 5, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  21. Redleg

Is it fair to ask why she was shocked at having a knocked up daughter when she was making breakfast for the boyfriend? Is it fair to ask her about the family associations with an antiamercan terrorist? Or about a church teaching that the Holocaust was God's justice on Jews?

December 5, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  22. Charley

I guess Sarah Palin doesn't realize that where Barack Obama was born is completely irrelevant. His mother was and is a US citizen, which no one can question. That makes Barack Obama a US citizen no matter where on earth he was born.

December 5, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. Paul S.

The fact that Sarah Palin continues to receive coverage from a relatively liberal media institution like CNN is not only reasonable, it's entirely expected, in my personal opinion. Except for those who have blind faith in the former Governor because she's "a mom" or a "blue collar parent" or "a Republican," we are all well aware that she's milking her Vice Presidential candidacy for every ounce of attention she can get.

However, CNN's reason for providing this woman continued coverage is rather obvious, if you look a little deeper. Obviously, as a liberal media institution, CNN would prefer to see Obama retain his Presidency in the 2012 elections. With Mike Huckabee now out of the running, as mentioned by another commenter, Sarah Palin now has a big, empty gap on the Republican ticket she can fill with herself.

By continuing to energize CNN's mostly liberal and independent viewership against the asinine comments this woman continues to make, they're proactively making her look as bad as possible, and pissing people off by allowing that anger to build. And it will continue all the way until 2012, and beyond.

If the 2012 elections approach, however, and Sarah Palin does not announce her candidacy, I am willing to bet she will disappear from the national spotlight forever. So, for those of you who want her gone, don't worry, it will only be three years, at best, before she's out of our lives forever. I, personally, am looking forward to it as well.

December 5, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  24. POD, Atlantic City NJ

The Paris Hilton of Politics......just go away already.....or try to engage your brain before speaking.

December 5, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  25. Bill from GA

While Palin-McCain didn't ask all of the tough questions, Obama's group held back on such issues as McCain's bottom of the barrel graduation from a school he was unqualified for, his repeated crashing of expensive military planes (Patton would have told him: "You don't win wars by getting shot down by the enemy, you win wars by shooting the enemy down!"), or his early campaigns financed by his wife's inherited beer money (moral values, anyone??).

December 5, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |