December 8th, 2009
8 months ago

BREAKING: Abortion amendment defeated in the Senate

Washington (CNN) - The Senate on Tuesday rejected an amendment to tighten restrictions on federal funding for abortion in the sweeping health care bill it is debating.

Full story

Filed under: Abortion • Health care • Senate
  1. duke of omaha

The going rate for Senator Nelson's vote would be around 1.5 billion, Omaha has to replace several sewer lines in older parts of town.

December 8, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  2. terry,va

I guess Obummie will veto the bill. If he doesn't he his the biggest LIAR I have ever seen. I the idiots on these post before have been saying I'm for abortion or I'm against it. That is not the point. Obummie said he wouldn't sign a bill with tax payer funds for abortion. We will see if Obummie will remain the biggest LIAR IN CHIEF that we have ever had.

December 8, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  3. cindy

I would rather the Government foot the bill for abortions then have the tax taxpayers foot the bill for their care for the rest of their lives.

December 8, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  4. republicam communism is worse

What is with elected officials who try to undermine the law of the land? This amendment had to be defeated.

December 8, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  5. republican communism is worse

Well there goes the pro life/ pro war republicans. Oh wait, they never cared much for Americans who did not belong to their country club.

December 8, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  6. Reggie

Whether or not a women has a right to have an abortion is not the issue here. The issue is that our tax dollars should NOT have to pay for it. Think about it!

December 8, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  7. S.Ann

I don't agree with abortion, but don't think a woman should be restricted to do what she wants with her body. It's her choice on whether she wants the abortion or not, not the government's say. It's no surprise to me that this was rejected, and it shouldn't be a huge concern.
    Also, I agree on the birth control comment. Use it, protect yourself, or just don't do it if you don't want to get pregnant.

Can we get back to the important things on this health care bill? Say I don't know....a public option?

December 8, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  8. Bernardo

how come the mayority of people against abortion are men????
    these religious fanatics will never get pregnant!!!!!!!
    and yes I'm a man supporting a woman's right to have an abortion if she chooses to

December 8, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  9. Dawn Ada,Ohio

Way to go Dems!!

December 8, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  10. Pamela

Thank heavens! What is crucial is to define "abortion." I know many fundamentalists dedicated to ending ANY form of birth control other than the rythmn method, defining all other methods as "abortion methods." Check old stories of doctors who refuse to prescribe the pill or other methods, as well as pharmacists who decline to fill those prescriptions citing a violation of their consciences and their faith beliefs! This opens a pandora's box of a woman's and couples' rights to make decisions regarding family planning, too!! If you doubt it, consider that there are many who advocate the murder of a doctor in his own church and who sport bumper stickers promoting the assasination of our president and appointment of another!

December 8, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. chris

I love pro-lifer/pro-war people that want to keep healthcare from Millions of Americans to support a cause they're not even willing to support in post birth with education, healthcare etc. What good is being "pro-life" if you object to supporting those "innocent babies" growing up??

December 8, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  12. Promises Promises

2,400,000 abortions in the US each year.

Sad. Don't kille the unborn kill this bill and more needless spending. I will not vote for a Democrat who wants me to fund the murder of the unborn.

December 8, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  13. donttreadonme

The Government should not be funding the killing of babies. Take responsibilty and pay for your own deeds. How funny dems support this knowing that minorities will be the main victims. Besides Obama's Allies the gang at Planned Parenthood need their cut of the free cash! It is all about the cash!

December 8, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  14. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

Good, maybe now we can get on with passing this version.

Then the final merging of the two into one.

December 8, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  15. Stephanie Broussard

Why do you gov't officials elected by the people continue to force down our throats abortion. Does our rights mean anything to you people? Many American's are against funding abortion and I am one of them, why don't you listen to the the people. Do you not have a conscience? God help us all! It's evil to kill and abortion is murder, what is it about that, you don't get!!!!!

December 8, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  16. Ken in NC

At least Democrats will not be able to blame Republicans for not passing Health Care Reform. I am a Democrat that has concluded that my party is a joke. They stick together and fight like dogs to get into a position of power and then they all run off in their own little different directions fighting eachother.

I will give Republicans credit for one thing. Once they agree on the path to follow, they will all go off the same cliff to make the point that they are united.

Time for me to become an Independent.

December 8, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  17. Mhnmm

Yeeaaaaaaahhh..... last time I checked the Senate if NOT the Supreme Court.

December 8, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  18. George Bush - Worst President Ever

Good. The Supreme court says abortion is legal. The whacky right wants to disregard this little fact.

December 8, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  19. rachel

Well I just as pro choice as the next person. I just don't see why I have to pay for someone else's choice.

December 8, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  20. Colonel Buckshot

A sperm cell fuses with a human egg cell and the resulting zygote has a completely unique DNA structure. NOT merely a simple part of the women's body to be scraped off the uterus at the woman's convenience. It is already a unique organism with a unique DNA pattern that continues until the organism's death. Yet like a human stroke survivor not able to survive without human assistance, so the unique individual formed in the mother's womb cannot for a time survive outside the womb.

Yet our laws prevent "pulling the plug" on an individual stroke-victim unable to survive without such human care. And so should the same laws protect the unborn individuals from having the "plug pulled" on them in the guise of abortion.

Abortion is killing the unborn folks, often merely for the convenience of the mother.

December 8, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  21. Lynne

Anyone who is voting aginst universal access to basic health care is NOT prolife!

December 8, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  22. Armando Gonzalez

Women pay taxes. They have the semae rights to decide about abortion.

December 8, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  23. ib

If either one of my senators voted against this there will be 2 votes cast against them the next time they are run again for office. If a woman wants to choose fine; just don't make me pay for it. This is disgusting.

December 8, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  24. phoenix86

Congratulations to Reid and Obama. Infanticide is one step closer to becoming the law of the land.

December 8, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  25. ex republican

i never really understood the whole abortion thing anyway ...."dont kill the cell, wait till they are on death row and then kill them " go figure!!!

Its women right to choose ...LETS MOVE ON AND PASS this bill please.....

December 8, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |