December 8th, 2009
7 months ago

Mitch Landrieu mounts third bid to be New Orleans mayor

(CNN) – Louisiana's Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu announced Tuesday that he will run again for the mayor of New Orleans.

"I love New Orleans with all my heart and all my soul," the Democrat said in an online video announcing his bid. "It's where I grew up and where I'm raising my family. And I think anyone who loves this city like I do, understands that when New Orleans calls, you have to answer. She just won't let you go."

Landrieu said that if elected, he plans to create jobs, improve the city's schools, and make the streets of New Orleans safer.

"I'm going to need your help," Landrieu said. "We've got a future to create and a city to rebuild."

Landrieu, who is the brother of Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-Louisiana, has run for mayor of New Orleans twice before. In 2006, Landrieu lost a bid to unseat incumbent Mayor Ray Nagin. His first unsuccessful bid was in 1994.

Landrieu's father was New Orleans mayor for eight years in the 1970's.

Landrieu joins a field contesting the Democratic primary that includes state Sen. Ed Murray and former Civil District Judge Nadine Ramsey.

Filed under: New Orleans
  1. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Don't do it Louisiana, you've already been failed more than once by this Landrieu family. Take ownership of your State and stop letting it be controlled by one family.

December 8, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  2. Donkey Party

Just say no to dynasty politicians.

December 8, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  3. GI Joe

If he's an obstructionist to health care for all (like his sister), tell him to kiss off (so to speak).

December 8, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  4. Jacque Bauer

Part of the Landrieu corruption syndicate. Dems just never learn and repeat the same mistakes over and over. And over...

December 8, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. terry,va

You will not win. As Ray N. said this is chocolate city. Just like Atlanta. Woodard won by 13%, but when the run off happened, she lost because all the black voters came into play.

December 8, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  6. Sal

Part of me is excited that Landrieu is running to be mayor, but I'm also a little disapointed. I was looking forward to seeing Landrieu run and hopefully defeat Governor Jindal. However, New Orleans will benefit greatly with Landrieu as mayor if he wins.

December 8, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. NOLA

He would be a heck of a lot better than what we have in there now.

December 8, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. Karl in Charleston,SC

Having lived through Hurricaine Hugo and seen the debacle of Katrina's aftermath,anyone's better than Ray Nagin!

December 8, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  9. sara

New Oleanans better know that they are Not Democrats....take note from his sister, who 's state has one of the lowest amount of people uninsured......most work for small restuarants that does not give bennys, let along healthcare insurance. She should be ashamed of herself.

December 8, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  10. Ridgeway

Good luck getting elected. Ask Atlanta mayoral candidate Norwood. Your genetics don't make you viable in New Orleans. You could be the second coming and not get elected in Detroit, Atlanta, Birmingham, DC, or New Orleans. Sorry pal.

December 8, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  11. Southerner

A Democrat create jobs? That's rich!

December 8, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  12. Marie Laveaux

Mitch is a pretty good guy, I think he would be a decent mayor. His dad, "Moon" Landrieu was one of the best mayors we ever had. I just hope he won't flip out like his sister did. Actually, Drew Brees could become mayor today without any election.

December 8, 2009 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |