December 8th, 2009
3 months ago

Palin: 'My heart goes out to Huckabee'

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin spoke about Mike Huckabee's clemency decision and a potential third party run in 2012.

Washington (CNN) – Sarah Palin said in a recent radio appearance that Mike Huckabee made a "horrible decision" nine years ago to commute the prison sentence of the man suspected of killing four police officers in Washington, but she added that her "heart goes out" to the former Arkansas governor.

In an interview last week with conservative radio host Lars Larson, Palin called the murders "tragic" and "unfathomable."

"It was a bad decision obviously, but my heart goes out to Huckabee," the former Alaska governor said. "I love him, and I feel bad for him to be in this position. But I feel even worse for the victim's families in this situation. I do feel bad for Huckabee, but it was a horrible decision he made."

Huckabee has said he regrets the decision to commute the sentence of the suspected shooter, Maurice Clemmons, but said he thinks he made the right assessment at the time. Palin said she had never pardoned or granted clemency to prisoners when she served in Juneau.

"I don't have a whole lot of mercy for the bad guys," she said. "I'm on the good guys' side."

Pressed on her political ambitions, the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee would not rule out a third party run at the White House in 2012.

"That depends on how things go in the next couple of years," she said. "It really does depend. There are enough Republicans who are realizing, 'Oh whoops, some of us liberal republicans have screwed up.' And I'm not including myself in that group, but some liberal Republicans have screwed up."

Palin said her decision rests on whether or not the GOP does a better job of appealing to its conservative base.

"If the Republican Party gets back to that base, I think our party is going to be stronger and there's not going to be a need for a third party, but I'll play that by ear in these coming months, coming years," she said.

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Jeff in Virginia

These are crocodile tears to the 80% of Americans who can see through her shtick. This is seriously getting old.

December 8, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  2. denver

And that ridiculous platitude is literally everything you need to know about Sarah Palin. Not a hint of insight. No grasp of nuance. Not a thought apart from blind ambition. Like her entire political career Sarah Palin will throw anyone under the bus and say whatever it takes to position herself to get what she wants. Yeah, I bet she feels really bad for Huck. You betcha.

December 8, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. Brad

She feels so bad for Mike..wink wink wink...but so very glad use this to her advantage. You betcha!!!

December 8, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. MDubya - Dallas, tX

Of course she didn't grant clemency during her time in Juneau. She probably didn't have time, considering she QUIT her job.

December 8, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. kd

this ice queen has no heart to go out to anybody.

December 8, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  6. Jay from Lexington

Most people would throw me in the 'conservative republican' aisle, but I'd describe myself as a progressive libertarian. As a libertarian I find my views to be center as opposed to 'right' or 'left' and neither party speaks well for me.

I've always attempted to give Palin the benefit of the doubt. Name calling from the other side of the aisle never shakes my option as politics often turns into a name calling match, as it has been from the very beginning (read the things Washington and Adams said about each other). This recent attack by Palin on Huckabee is a true indicator of Palin's attitude. I find it reprehensible.

You don't tear down someone on your team... and that's just what she did. I'll still put money on Huckabee over Palin in 2012. Now that bet feels like a sure thing.

December 8, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  7. LISA

Even with this....Huckabee will still crush her in the primaries, lol

December 8, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  8. pt

I will be thrilled when the Americans supporting this woman find other interests. She is not worth their time and energy.

December 8, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. David in San Diego

Palin sure is a publicity hound. She thinks Huckleberry (her future opponent for the support of the wingnut wing of the GOPhers) made a bad decision, but he did it because his acute evangi-delusionalism convinced him that the prisoner had beren "saved by Jesus" and would not commit any other crimes. Palin and Huckster are peas in a pod–both delusional about the impact their nutty beliefs have on people's lives.

December 8, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. KJL

Huckabee's political aspirations are in the toilet because he has a do-gooder attitude without the judgment to use it properly, and now this fool is bleeding over him? You almost have to feel sorry for the guy.

December 8, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  11. jeremy.....Dallas...Texas

What language does this woman speak? Did she ever attend public speaking classes?

December 8, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  12. Bill

Yeah, its all Huckabee's fault. Conveniently. Never mind that Palin stands against any form of gun control whatsoever. Never mind that we have the largest number of prisoners in the world. Its Huck's fault. Go Sarah!!

December 8, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  13. fielding mellish

Gosh, do you think she could have twisted the knife into Huckabee any further? She is unquestionably political scum.

December 8, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  14. harvey

Great news for the President! Siphon off all the zeros, gun-lovers, religious fanatics, and hate-mongerers from the Republican candidate, ensure a second term for Obama. I'll sign your third-party nomination papers right now, Sarah!

December 8, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  15. no name calling

Seriously CNN,

Your obsession with the former governor of Alaska is getting scary.

I think I shall get my political news elsewhere. You are stalking this nobody. Please start reporting on politicians that have somthing to say that matters to the people of this country. What Sarah Palin has to say is neither interesting nor is it relevant to today's society.

Whoever is in charge of this site should seek therapy or go to work for one of the tabloids. Oh, maybe that is what CNN aspires to be as opposed to a dignified news organization. In that case you have succeeded.

December 8, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  16. Colin

I'd love to see Palin run as a third party candidate! All the fun of watching her acting like an imbicile on the national stage without any chance of her (or the Republican Candidate) actually winning. It's win-win (at least for intelligent Americans).

December 8, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  17. Joel in Ohio

Does she feel bad about Mike Dukakis? That should of been a good follow up question.

December 8, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  18. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Good Ole Sarah throwing another one under the bus! What else is new?

December 8, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  19. John in Indy

I would LOVE to see Sarah run for national office!

December 8, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  20. Marry

CNN, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease put Palin into the entertainment section! These “Palin Stories” are just too much!! And they are not "NEWS"!!!!

December 8, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. cofcharlotte

I'm a Democrat and have to admit it was not a bad decision. Given the information he had, he made the correct decision. He should not get flak for this anymore than Dukakis should have been blamed. Any liberal that defended Dukakis needs to now defend Huckabee. Any conservative that went after Dukakis needs to now go after Huckabee. Reality, neither were wrong.

December 8, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. Franco Tirado

I really WANT Palin for president so 2 yrs into her term she can call it NO MAS!! She is a good quitter.

But do any of you folks get this??

GEORGE WASHINGTON, ABE LINCOLN, TEDDY ROOSEVELT, IKE, JOHN F. KENNEDY, RONALD REAGAN... SARAH PALIN??

Sounds like a terrible joke, right?? For sure the whole world would be laughing at us. OK lemme me go to my backyard so I can see some Russians from here.

December 8, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  23. NotFooledTX

Lord help us if the standards for being a presidential candidate are lowered to the point where palin is actually considered an attractive presidential candidate. Haven't we seen enough "folks just like me" nearly destroy this country. Bush should mark the end of that kind of nonsense.

December 8, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. brendose

I sure hope she runs in 2012 as a third party candidate. She would be the Nadar of the conservative party! LOL!

Yes, make sure you can divide up as many conservatives as possible. You will make it so much easier for Obama.

December 8, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  25. Dave

Yeah, right. I would anything that if it were a Democrat who made that commutation, she would be piling on from the highest soapbox.

December 8, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |