December 8th, 2009
6 months ago

Palin: 'My heart goes out to Huckabee'

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin spoke about Mike Huckabee's clemency decision and a potential third party run in 2012.

Washington (CNN) – Sarah Palin said in a recent radio appearance that Mike Huckabee made a "horrible decision" nine years ago to commute the prison sentence of the man suspected of killing four police officers in Washington, but she added that her "heart goes out" to the former Arkansas governor.

In an interview last week with conservative radio host Lars Larson, Palin called the murders "tragic" and "unfathomable."

"It was a bad decision obviously, but my heart goes out to Huckabee," the former Alaska governor said. "I love him, and I feel bad for him to be in this position. But I feel even worse for the victim's families in this situation. I do feel bad for Huckabee, but it was a horrible decision he made."

Huckabee has said he regrets the decision to commute the sentence of the suspected shooter, Maurice Clemmons, but said he thinks he made the right assessment at the time. Palin said she had never pardoned or granted clemency to prisoners when she served in Juneau.

"I don't have a whole lot of mercy for the bad guys," she said. "I'm on the good guys' side."

Pressed on her political ambitions, the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee would not rule out a third party run at the White House in 2012.

"That depends on how things go in the next couple of years," she said. "It really does depend. There are enough Republicans who are realizing, 'Oh whoops, some of us liberal republicans have screwed up.' And I'm not including myself in that group, but some liberal Republicans have screwed up."

Palin said her decision rests on whether or not the GOP does a better job of appealing to its conservative base.

"If the Republican Party gets back to that base, I think our party is going to be stronger and there's not going to be a need for a third party, but I'll play that by ear in these coming months, coming years," she said.

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. NoShadesofGray

This is the ignorance that makes Palin so dangerous. Her world is divided into "bad guys" and "good guys." She lacks a nuanced view and doesn't appreciate that the world works in shades of gray. So, according to her, there are no innocent people and courts don't make mistakes.

December 8, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. American Expat

By 2012, even the GOP will have come to their senses on this woman. In my lifetime (and I am well into my senior years), I don't recall a person that aspired to that position that had less qualifications. Being Governor of a state that probably has more moose than people is hardly a qualification to be President. And my heart goes out too: to anyone so badly informed as to vote for her!

December 8, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  3. Kevin in Austin

She is such a tool. She has no mercy, no emphathy, no care but positioning herself. How very Christian of her.

Yes, please, start a third party. That's what we need Sarah. Go for it. Lets see how it works out for ya.

December 8, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  4. Sniffit

hahaha...wha a wonderfully unsubtle backhanded comment (like we'd expect her to be capable of subtlety)...Snide Sara strikes again with Palin Fu Sarcastic Sympathy grip!

December 8, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  5. Cheney and Armey are a couple of Dicks

The conservative republicans have been on the wrong side of tax cuts, Iraq, civil rights, social security, medicare, world diplomacy, support for American workers, public education, police, firemen, public highways, national parks, women's rights, and a host of other things. Which is why the base is so small.

December 8, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  6. Arkay, MI

Just who are there 'liberal republicans who screwed up'? Will the real 'liberal republicans' please stand up?

December 8, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  7. C from middle GA

What a compassionate woman she is. She "loves you" Mike – just watch as the barracuda sticks the knife in between your ribs. McCain learned that the "pit bull in lipstick" bites the hand that feeds her, dresses her, and gives her an opportunity.

Funny how all of her nicknames reference lethal creatures...

December 8, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  8. Jerry in NC

The news media is sickening, the way they try to shape and mold the lives of every american with their biased and subjective methods. Why CNN, is this woman's face and name in your news stories, every single day? She is a quitter and a loser, yet you and other news outlets, continue to shove her down the throats of americans. Her so-called following, is a minority....actually, very small minority of americans, yet you act as though she is a legitimate national leader. I wonder how much Barack Obama's face would have been in the news, had he LOST the election??????

December 8, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. beth

Gosh, oh golly...her heart goes out to Huckabee. Excuse me while I vomit. My heart goes out to all the folks that believe that this women is sincere about anything.

December 8, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  10. Dave

This woman facebooks a message as a private citizen and commands the attention of the most powerful man in the world. Everytime she has been underestimated it has been to the peril of her opponents.

December 8, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. Terry from West Texas

Sarah Palin is not a deep thinker. The people of Alaska are fortunate that she patriotically left the governor's office.

Here is the problem. You are the governor. You have to review 100 applications for clemency, pardon, parole, early release, compassionate release, etc. You consult your crystal ball to see what it says. It tells you that one of the 100 prisoners might commit a murder in ten years, but it doesn't tell you which one. What do you do, Governor? Leave the hundred in jail and build more jails? Release some of them? Release all of them?

Sarah Palin is willing to let innocent and reformed people stay in jail. I think she should be imprisoned.

December 8, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  12. I am the not-so-great and powerless wizard of Rush

See how sweetly Sarah plunges the stiletto into Huck.

December 8, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Why do people still care about Sarah Palin?

December 8, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  14. When Worlds Collide

Sarah, you're a quitter. Seems odd to be critical about a person doing a job when you didn't complete yours.

December 8, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  15. afterlife13

Why are we subjected to this woman again and again? She's the new conservative Paris Hilton (or is it Tila Tequila?). Now that she's "written" a book, is that elevating to her opinions? I'd rather hear what Stephen King or John Grisham has to say.

December 8, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  16. Chanel

As a Dem I can only hope that there is a third party and that Sarah Palin head it up! Take half the Republicans with you. Dems wont lose another Presidential election if that is the case!

December 8, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  17. cyndieking

Huckabee made his decision based on the information presented him. It seems to have been the wrong decision NOW but perhaps his crystal ball was broken and he couldn't see into the future and decide differently because this man might murder someone in the future. I'm sure it's not the first nor the last time someone's sentence was commuted that that person went on to commit additional crimes. It may be the first time the additional crime was this heinous, but probably not. As for Sarah Palin, I think she's a nobody from nowhere. She's like so many other pundits, always having an opinion but people only listen for the ridiculousness of it, to see what stupidity is going to come out of the mouth next. The fun part is that she doesn't see it and takes herself quite seriously.

December 8, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  18. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

I want all of you liberal "Romans" to be civil, no pushing and shoving, as we rush to the Colosseum to see which branch of the "christians" in the republiklan party are served up to the lions.

Will it be Saint Sarah of the Silly or the soft on crime Huckster?

Which ever it is going to be a show for the ages and a repeat of the Crusades is sure to follow to wipe out the rest of the "impure"!

I know some of you are drooling, very unseemly, that is the part of the lions!

December 8, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  19. Steve

She's a dimwit.

December 8, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  20. dan

no mercy for the bad guys?
    do you belive in the death penalty or for profit prison systems?

December 8, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  21. dina osullivan

Can she only speak in the kindergarten language of "the good guys" and the "bad guys". Give me a break. This was a cop killer, worst than a bad guy and this was a governor who commuted a sentence without enough intelligence to examine the person's record.

What a twit!!!!!!

December 8, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  22. Mike Mundy, Houston, TX

Poor Huckster indeed. Though brilliant move by Palin. Work it, Sister!

December 8, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  23. Eric of Reseda

Dukakis lost the presidency over a lesser outcome, which GOP'ers could not shut up about. So, if the Dems don't do everything they can to destroy Huckabees hopes of national office, I just may switch to the Right. Huckabee never should have let this guy go, given Clemmons recoreven at that time. It was nothing more than Huckabee's Christian leanings interfering with good judgement. But then, we see that a lot these days from the Christian Right.

December 8, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. Jose

Hi I'm Sarah Palin and I'm running for President. How can I turn this event into political points for myself and yet appear that I'm just a soccer mom! My daily worry and quest to do this..

December 8, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  25. gary

Please explain why cnn is keeping this moron in the news? Who cares what she says besides the knuckle dragging right wing crazies.

December 8, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |