December 8th, 2009
3 months ago

Palin: 'My heart goes out to Huckabee'

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin spoke about Mike Huckabee's clemency decision and a potential third party run in 2012.

Washington (CNN) – Sarah Palin said in a recent radio appearance that Mike Huckabee made a "horrible decision" nine years ago to commute the prison sentence of the man suspected of killing four police officers in Washington, but she added that her "heart goes out" to the former Arkansas governor.

In an interview last week with conservative radio host Lars Larson, Palin called the murders "tragic" and "unfathomable."

"It was a bad decision obviously, but my heart goes out to Huckabee," the former Alaska governor said. "I love him, and I feel bad for him to be in this position. But I feel even worse for the victim's families in this situation. I do feel bad for Huckabee, but it was a horrible decision he made."

Huckabee has said he regrets the decision to commute the sentence of the suspected shooter, Maurice Clemmons, but said he thinks he made the right assessment at the time. Palin said she had never pardoned or granted clemency to prisoners when she served in Juneau.

"I don't have a whole lot of mercy for the bad guys," she said. "I'm on the good guys' side."

Pressed on her political ambitions, the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee would not rule out a third party run at the White House in 2012.

"That depends on how things go in the next couple of years," she said. "It really does depend. There are enough Republicans who are realizing, 'Oh whoops, some of us liberal republicans have screwed up.' And I'm not including myself in that group, but some liberal Republicans have screwed up."

Palin said her decision rests on whether or not the GOP does a better job of appealing to its conservative base.

"If the Republican Party gets back to that base, I think our party is going to be stronger and there's not going to be a need for a third party, but I'll play that by ear in these coming months, coming years," she said.

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Haze

wow...let the passive agressive backstabbing begin...she never pardoned anyone because she quit too soon to actually have an opportunity...quitter!!

December 8, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. MP-VA

New GOP Slogan: "Stop the Sanity!"

December 8, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. FEDFL

Wow. That's the first time I've ever heard someone refer to Neo-Cons as "Liberal Republicans".

December 8, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. nadine

Sarah Palin has no heart! Stop the "sorry for his pain", she's on a platform robbing from her followers for her own selfish gain.

December 8, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. TLD

but she added that her "heart goes out"

What heart?

December 8, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. Blue Dog

love ya sarah!

December 8, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  7. JR

"Palin said she had never pardoned or granted clemency to prisoners when she served in Juneau."

because she wasn't there long enough or didn't know she could.

December 8, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  8. Elizabeth in Texas

Liberal Republicans? Really? This woman is truly mean spirited and vindictive. I'm not just saying that because she is a woman, but she knows exactly what she is doing. She may be stupid and ignorant when it comes to facts but she knows how to manipulate.

December 8, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. John J, IN

More verbal diarrhea and a butchering of logic and the english language from the Idiot from Alaska. I can't tell if she is just really that stupid, or like that Republican challenger from West Wing – she just plays stupid on TV to appeal to stupid people.

Obviously education is the #1 problem in America, as Palin so clearly demonstrates.

December 8, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. Jeffer65

She's wrong, The Republican party needs to redefine its true base. The last eight years proved that. Besides what is wrong with having a third political party?

December 8, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  11. Glynn

That's deep.

December 8, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. Four and The Door

You gotta love Sarah's straight talk. Now where did she learn that?
    So many times after Obama talks, you have to wait for the interpretation to understand what he really said. For instance, what he really thought was health care reform, when he would make up his mind about sending troops to Afghanistan and whether or not they would stay to complete the job. I prefer straight talk, but it's much easier to do when you know yourself what it is you are saying first.

December 8, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  13. John, Brooklyn, NY

Sadly, Palin "feels sorry" for governors who make "poor decisions"....yet has never challenged herself to look in the mirror and make similar decisions in Alaska.

She either 1) doesn't believe in prisoner reform whatsoever or 2) can't really wrap her head around the individual circumstances of parole cases sufficiently to apply wisdom to each case as it is warrented. Either way...she's not fit to make the tough and nuanced decisions that are required to be president.

December 8, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  14. Change_Has_Begun

ohhh watch out hukabee here comes the BLACK WIDOW...she so nice it put it that her heart goes out for hukabee and then uses this same incident to smear him...GOP politics 2012 has begun...

December 8, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  15. david

Such an incurious woman. I really do hope she runs because I am sure she will get the Repub nomination and then be destroyed in the general

December 8, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  16. Robert Hecht

Palin's heart should be going out to the victims of Huckabees egregious miscalculations. It seems Huckabee used his religious beliefs to let various criminals out and repeat horrendous crimes. Just another reason to keep religion out of politics!!

December 8, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  17. Who put the twit in twitter? Sarah!

The more I see her in the news the more I despise her.

December 8, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  18. Bill

Moose are not the only animals in her gun sights. Sarah Palin thinks anyone, including Huckabee, is "fair game" if it means either her selling more books, giving more speeches, or strengthening her political career. No one is off limits and there is no "closed hunting season" as far as she is concerned.

December 8, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  19. M.McKeon

I really wish this woman would just stay in Alaska quietly.

December 8, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. http://twitter.com/whybs

You have a heart? Certainly, not a brain! :(

December 8, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  21. Alex

yeah, she's on the "good guys" side... ok. i really detest this woman.

December 8, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. Eric

This is indeed a horrible tragedy, and I hate to spin this against Palin (on second though, no I don't), but anyone who actually divides the world into "bad guys" and "good guys" needs a serious reality check.

December 8, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  23. MP-VA

I bet Huckabee's heart goes out to Palin, too, for all her idiocy. She truly is one to be pitied, because she truly believes the words coming out of her mouth.

December 8, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  24. max

does anyone find it ironic that palin is speaking at a 'teabaggers' rally ??? I just find it SO fitting .... cough cough

December 8, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |