December 8th, 2009
11 months ago

Palin: 'My heart goes out to Huckabee'

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin spoke about Mike Huckabee's clemency decision and a potential third party run in 2012.

Washington (CNN) – Sarah Palin said in a recent radio appearance that Mike Huckabee made a "horrible decision" nine years ago to commute the prison sentence of the man suspected of killing four police officers in Washington, but she added that her "heart goes out" to the former Arkansas governor.

In an interview last week with conservative radio host Lars Larson, Palin called the murders "tragic" and "unfathomable."

"It was a bad decision obviously, but my heart goes out to Huckabee," the former Alaska governor said. "I love him, and I feel bad for him to be in this position. But I feel even worse for the victim's families in this situation. I do feel bad for Huckabee, but it was a horrible decision he made."

Huckabee has said he regrets the decision to commute the sentence of the suspected shooter, Maurice Clemmons, but said he thinks he made the right assessment at the time. Palin said she had never pardoned or granted clemency to prisoners when she served in Juneau.

"I don't have a whole lot of mercy for the bad guys," she said. "I'm on the good guys' side."

Pressed on her political ambitions, the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee would not rule out a third party run at the White House in 2012.

"That depends on how things go in the next couple of years," she said. "It really does depend. There are enough Republicans who are realizing, 'Oh whoops, some of us liberal republicans have screwed up.' And I'm not including myself in that group, but some liberal Republicans have screwed up."

Palin said her decision rests on whether or not the GOP does a better job of appealing to its conservative base.

"If the Republican Party gets back to that base, I think our party is going to be stronger and there's not going to be a need for a third party, but I'll play that by ear in these coming months, coming years," she said.

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. terpmaniac

Can you imagine the reaction from Palin (and her followers) if instead of Huckabee being at the center of this controversy it was Obama? Can anybody fathom the vitriol that would be heaped upon Obama's head by those on the right and the right-wing nuts in general if our president did such a thing? Palin is a phoney from stem to stern. How motives disingenuous. Her political acumen lacking.

December 8, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Linda from Minnesota

I am a liberal, I voted for President Obama. I don't hate Sarah Palin, in fact, if she lived next door, I might even like her. She is just horribly unqualified to lead much of anything.

December 8, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. Miguel in NY

What a hypocrite! If it had been a Democratic governor who had commuted the sentence, he/she would have been labeled "soft on crime!"

December 8, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. old white lady

Sarah Palin is a simple minded idiot.

December 8, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  5. Gary

What she meant to say was " One down just a couple more to go"
    snicker, snicker

December 8, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. AC

Hold on, can I see Russia from here??? She's such an idiot...

December 8, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Cheney and Armey are a couple of Dicks

Sarah did not have much use for Hawaiians when she was in college there. Must have been too many tan skinned people. If there were any good guys in Hawaii, she would have been on their side and stayed in school there?

December 8, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. Ray Jackson, Ms

---------------
    That would be more impressive if she had managed to sever at least one full term.

December 8, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. Lynne

Maybe her heart should go out to the people who die due to a lack of health care. Maybe CNN should refuse to cover the meaanderings of this woman until she agrees to an interview!! There is definitely a double standard with the way CNN reports/treats Sarah Palin and all other "political" persons.

December 8, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. dub

Sarah Palin... our first contestent in this round of 'Political Pile On!'
    Who will be the next 2012 hopeful to take a shot?

December 8, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  11. Jason

Yeah, she'd have to do a third party run – neither of the two existing parties are dumb eough to take a chance on her.

The real problem is that a wingnuts party, which is what it would be, is nothing but an attention seeking distraction to REAL discourse on the events thqt matter to this country

But hey what is more important – sound bites or issues?

December 8, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Sorry to break it to ya Sarah, but the world isn't black and white like you seem to believe. Although I can't say that I don't expect this from someone as right winged as yourself.
    In hindsight it may have been a bad decision, but I did read at least portions of the letter Clemmens sent to Huckabee asking to be released, and he did sound sincere in them. To say that it was 'obviously a bad decision' doesn't take into account what he had to go on at the time.
    As they say, hindsight is 20/20

December 8, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. pailn/beck '12

Sarah Palin is a bad guy.

December 8, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  14. The Real Repblican Motto: "In Fear We Trust"

Yeah, it sounds like she is all torn up for the poor guy, empathizing with his having to live with the political ramifications of a decision that she will do everything in her power to magnify.

December 8, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. AP in Illinois

Any word on what she thought of Dukakis pardoning Willy Horton?

I don't feel bad for Huckabee. The hypocrites that are the GOP all feel sympathy for him and come to his side because he now has to face the music. Conservatives don't care when it's Dukakis and Willy Horton. That is described as liberals being soft on crime.

December 8, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. geecee

Awwww, Sarah. Showing your "soft" side, huh. If this were a Democratic Governor, you would have his head on a platter (and somehow, in some way, manage to blame President Obama for allowing this to happen). Such a hypocrite, aren't you?

December 8, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. Terri

Way to go, Palin ! Kick 'em while it's hot. Don't worry, you can bring it up again in the primaries. AND act sorry again. Woo Hoo !

December 8, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. Kraig Rasool

I dont understand why people are blaming Huckabee for the horrible crime another person has committed....At the time of releasing this
    individual all the signs pointed that he would be a model citizen...Sarah Palin is all over the place with her comment...on the one
    hand she says "He made a horrible decision"...."but my heart goes out to him." Everyone knows,or should know by now decisions and
    Palin are miles apart...She is in no position (literally) to make comments about making a decision....When a horrible crime is committed people in high-profile positions so to speak like to put their
    two cents in. How about saying he (Hukabee) at the time made the decision that fit end of story...now we have to move on make some adjustments within the judicial system so that maybe the next time there will a finer line between releasing a criminal.

December 8, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. Bob of Lompoc

Oh, moose manure. You were just vaulted into the top spot among Republican 2012 Presidential Candidates, and you want us to believe, first, that you have a heart, and second, that it "feels" for "Huck".

You think we out here are as light in the IQ as you? Puuuleeeze!

December 8, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  20. DJ

Okay... Bady Guys... This woman is so twisted... I get the man is regreting his choices, but at least he completed his term as Gov. I got more respect for that than his choice to commute a sentence. We are human, but we do not step down when the road gets tougher Palin.

I wonder if she will be able to complete a Presidential Term if she were ever elected (god help the world if she does).

December 8, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. Ken in Mt

Liberal Republicans? what alternative universe does she live in?. Any republican these days is a raving reactionary on any objective scale. The one time party of Lincoln and Roosevelt is now the party of lunitic fringe reactionaries and those who are further right. They haven't had a new idea in the last 60 years that I know of.

December 8, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. Palin Wary

Is what she is really saying, she hasn't pardoned anyone is because she can't make a decision or are the Alaska courts infallable? Huckabee made a bad decision based on naivatee and lack of a good critical thinking process.

December 8, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  23. Amazing

Yeah, this will end his political future, even though the 2 judges who let that loser go should accept most of the responsibilty, since Clemmons actions under their jurisdiction were known. Good case for locking losers up and throwing away the key, especially sexual predators.

December 8, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  24. Keith

Palin claims to be a Christian, and yet she proudly claims "I don't have a whole lot of mercy for the bad guys"? What a grotesque, self-serving announcement. She should be ashamed of herself. Mike Huckabee has more morality is his fingernail than this power-hungry, calculating shrew has in her whole body. She needs to stop trying to weaken potential 2012 Republican opponents and start caring more about her family.

December 8, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  25. Mike S., New Orleans

Way to go Sarah! Let the right wing neocon campaign slugfest begin! "My heart goes out to his bad decision." Sarah, you're becoming a much slicker and more effective hypocrite than Bush or Cheney. I'm actually impressed, and my heart goes out to you, but I hope you disappear, but my heart goes out to you, but I hope you fall off a cliff, but my heart.....

December 8, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |