December 9th, 2009
11 months ago

Lawmaker drops effort to honor Tiger Woods

A California lawmaker announced Wednesday that he is no longer backing legislation that would honor disgraced golfer Tiger Woods with a congressional gold medal.

Washington (CNN) – A California lawmaker announced Wednesday that he is no longer backing legislation that would honor disgraced golfer Tiger Woods with a Congressional Gold Medal.

In March of this year, Rep. Joe Baca, D-California, introduced a resolution calling for Woods to receive the high congressional honor.

The award was justified, Baca's bill said, because, among other things, "Woods has broken barriers with grace and dignity by showing that golf is a sport for all people, regardless of race, color, or creed... Woods has inspired countless people of all ages, impressing upon them that their hopes, dreams, and prayers may be achieved through hard work, persistence, education, and good sportsmanship."

Baca announced Wednesday that he has had a change of heart about honoring Woods.

"In light of the recent developments surrounding Tiger Woods and his family, I will not pursue legislation awarding him the Congressional Gold Medal this session," the congressman said in a statement.

Baca's announcement comes amid reports that television ads featuring the embattled golfer have not aired since November 29.

Filed under: Congress • Extra • Popular Posts
  1. Tiger

Like Tiger cares. Can everyone please move on. I don't understand why Tiger's personal life should be other peoples business. No one is perfect, and ofcourse cheating is not acceptable. But men will always be men......I hope that congress man has never and will never cheat. We'll see........

Just move on people and let Tiger and his family deal with there problems. By the way, has Tiger agreed to cheating or did i miss that part? Let he who says he has'nt cheated or ever concieved of cheating cast the first stone. I'm still waitng????? Plain hypocricy..........God help us all.

December 9, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  2. Craig

I would think that these govt. officials have better things to do in the first place.

December 9, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  3. bob-tampa

who cares about tiger...........go phil go

December 9, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  4. jeff

A stupid idea in the first place. Start honoring brains instead of brawn. Stop idolizing athletes and youth will get a better focus on academics.That will help us regain our world leadership.

December 9, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  5. Jerry in NC

This is just another example of how this country is full of self-righteous, judgemental, hypocrites! The ONLY person Tiger has to repent to, is his wife! He doesn't owe any lawmaker, business owner or anyone else, a darn thing! You judgemental saps make me want to vomit.

December 9, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  6. kenny

I love it! A politician wanting to deny an honor for someone lacking in moral strength! Oh, the irony of it all!!!!

December 9, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  7. kevin sello

governor cheats on his wife, and life goes own, a young black golfer does the same, and everyone is on his neck...talk about morden day lynching

December 9, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  8. Steven in Charleston

I'm a Democrat, but I'm ashamed of Rep. Baca. Who is he to judge the personal life of another?

All the things that Rep. Baca supposedly admired about Tiger Woods are still true. The only thing that has changed is the direction of the bandwagon that Mr. Baca seems so keen to be on.

December 9, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  9. MP

Tiger, honey. Go to Oprah and talk about it. Oh my my! how well your current waiting strategy is paying off. The longer you wait the longer people will be ableto say silly mean things. Thank of your wife and your children instead of just yourself

December 9, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  10. bob f

I think Tiger will get over (quickly) not receiving the award. Let's move on.

PS: Isn't the phrase "congressional honor" an oxymoron?

December 9, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  11. Nea

what does this have to do with his personal life he is not the first one that have went thru this and will definetely not be the last.

December 9, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  12. MIke

What does Tiger Woods screwing around on his wife have to do with his accomplishments? I always feel that these types of scandals are fueled by females who still seem shocked that men cheat. After decades of these types of stories coming out, people still act as if it is unique. It's none of your business.

This is the kind of news that bottom feeding busy-bodies thrive off of. If you can't make a meaningful life of your own, then just tear someone else down in the easiest, laziest way possible.

Woods cheated on his wife. He didn't rape or murder anyone. The way in which people are reacting to this story is truly pathetic, and it shows just how important the Internet is for lonely gossip queens.

December 9, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  13. John

Tiger, Now's the time...you have all the money you will ever need. You don't need Nike, American Express or any of the others. Give the people what they really deserve...Play golf, the best golf ever. When idiot reporter asks for an interview simply reply "No". Go back to the yacht (named "Privacy" for those who don't know) and don't go back in public until your next tounement. Break Jacks record the way it always could have and maybe should have been. You no longer need the sponsors, so you no longer need the media. All you need to do now is achieve your goal of becoming the greatest golfer ever. You really don't need the lechers...you really don't.

December 9, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  14. SG

I don't get the backlash toward Tiger Woods. In his personal life, he's pretty low right now, but I don't watch him play golf because I think he's a good husband or father; I watch him play golf because he has a truly amazing talent on the course. What does one thing have to do with another?

Btw, I'm a lawyer, a mother of four, and pretty socially conservative. But geez! This is a GOLFER.

December 9, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. Michael Dagenais

Typical of a US government official. Nothing more willing than a politician scrounging for coverage of any kind. At what point does this become embarassing for the american people....oh wait I guess you don't believe what the rest of the world already knows – the joke's on you!

December 9, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  16. bill

Leave Tiger alone!!!!!!!!!!!!! His personal life is his personal life. Nobody knows what's gone on in his marriage. Maybe his wife cheated on him with a football team. We don't know. Honor him anyway. We're all flawed.

December 9, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  17. bobo

hypocrisy at work again. Thank you congress for leading by example.

December 9, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  18. Cindy Merrill

I almost feel sorry for Tiger- he'll have to wear earplugs in order to play golf!

December 9, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  19. Babs

DA ... and how long did it take him to figure that out... It's sad to see someone with BILLIONS , with a seemly loving family, would becomes such an ass..

December 9, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  20. Jeff Taylor

Get real folks. Poor people cheat on their spouses all the time too. It's your fault if you made him into something he isn't in your own mind, then feel bad when you find out you were wrong.

December 9, 2009 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  21. james

Not sure this matters much one way or the other to Tiger. Or to most of us.

December 9, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  22. Eric

I wonder how many hypocrites say that we should leave Tiger alone and then scroll down one story and rip Mark Sanford a new one because of his cheating ways.

Just goes to show you that the average American is as stupid as the average sports fan.

December 9, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  23. Pamela, NH

Good, he didn't deserve it anyway. Frankly, I don't like the guy. He's black, but he's ashamed to call himself black. He dotes on his mom, but dishonors his father because the only time he's around black people is when he's looking for a photo opt to improve his image.

I'm so over this guy. Enough.

December 9, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  24. Terry from West Texas

What are we? A bunch of sanctimonious Victorians? A man screwed around on his wife with women who were eager to be with him? Shall we shun him now, like a leper. Many of my fellow citizens, it seems to me, are too eager to be indignant, to quick to condemn, and reluctant to empathize with those who err. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

A lot of you who are throwing rocks have little to be proud of in your own conduct. Most of us are not especially virtuous, and I consider myself to be first among equals in unsaintly behavior. Most of us just behave like others around us, wishing to be accepted by the group and pretending to be like others. Me too.

As for Tiger, it looks to me like he is suffering the anguish of a complete loss of dignity in a very public way. He strikes me as a very proud man, and he had much farther to fall than almost all of us. Shame on us for our lurid interest, masked as moral indignation.

I need a drink.

December 9, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  25. Barry in Cincy

I take a different view on this. How much of the taxpayers money does it take to present someone with a Congressional Gold Medal? I'd imagine some time is spent by a Congressman thinking up this idea, then the resolution has to be written and reviewed by their staff, then it has to be presented on the House or Senate floor while other Congressman listen in, and then the medal has to be made (I'm assuming it is made of gold). When all is said an done, what are we talking about $10K?? Higher?? Sure it's a drop in the bucket when we're talking about a trillion dollar medical plan, but that doesn't make it right. Seems like a waste of money to me.

December 9, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |