December 10th, 2009
7 months ago

Gingrich praises Obama's speech

Gingrich praises Obama's speech.
Gingrich praises Obama's speech.

(CNN) – Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich praised President Obama's acceptance speech Thursday before the Nobel Committee in Oslo.

"I thought the speech was actually very good," Gingrich told NPR's The Takeaway. "He clearly understood that he had been given the prize prematurely, but he used it as an occasion to remind people, first of all, as he said: that there is evil in the world."

The comments mark the second time in a month that Gingrich has given President Obama's performance a positive nod. Following the president's speech at West Point, Gingrich said the decision to increase troop levels in Afghanistan "took considerable courage."

Filed under: Newt Gingrich • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Jokes aside

Gingrich is waking up to the reality if you can't beat them join them!. He is a savy politician!!

December 10, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  2. Who cares what he thinks?

I am so sick of people thinking that President Obama needs approval from anyone like this man. He did not admit that his prize was given prematurely. That was taken out of context. His speech was a masterpiece as usual. No one cares what these republicans think!!!!! This should be a day of pride for our nation. I have never been so proud of my president as I am of President Obama. May God bless him and his family. It is a great day for America. The first sitting President to accept the Prize in person, what an honor.

December 10, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. Chester Lugnut

Gotta respect Newt for giving credit when credit is due, regardless of party.

Newt is a good man, as is Obama...

December 10, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  4. Jim

It's about time our Republican colleagues stop their relentless negative posturing, and give credit to our President for his intelligent, courageous and inspiring leadership during these difficult times!

With this speech, and in many other ways, I see more and more signs B.H. Obama will be one of our greatest presidents, in the mold of J.F. Kennedy and perhaps F.D. Roosevelt.

December 10, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  5. sonny chapman

Yes there is evil in the world. How easy to recognize it in the other guy. Or to quote Jesus, "Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye ?"Matthew 7,3. Does Newt think that the rest of the world has forgotten the Iraq "adventure"?

December 10, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. Dar

Even a bind hog finds an acorn (no pun intended) every once in a while.
    Maybe Odumbo is finally starting to realize that is isn't perfect..............................................NAW He loves himself to much to say he was wrong about anything.

December 10, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  7. Chi

Newt, seriously whats going!? This is not you! Ohhh I got it! Newt is needing favor. Just come out straight and ask your favor and stop playing me with sweet words.

December 10, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  8. Nancy Piekarczyk

For once, I actually agree with President Obama.

December 10, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  9. steve AK

It's a simple recipe.

Step one: Give pro-war speech.

Step two: Receive republican praise.

There has never been a war a republican didn't like.

(Having said that, I liked the speech too and I ain't no GOP'er)

December 10, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  10. PREDICTA

Newt is the smartest man in the room, by far. He's got business sense and knows how to grow the economy. (Anybody remember the contract with America?) I'd love to see him run in 2012 and give us a chance to straighten out this mess.

December 10, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. Lee

Good for you, Newt. Finally a politician that doesn't have to fight about EVERYTHING. While I generally don't agree with Newt, he has shown why he was able to have such great success in his career.

December 10, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Mark

Obama criticizes Bush's policies during the speech and sends another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan. What a liberal hypocrite.

December 10, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. veggiedude

About three years ago, when people questioned Obama's credentials as a presidential candidate, Newt said he was just as qualified as was Lincoln. So its not the first time he has said nice things of Obama.

December 10, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  14. Kevin in Ohio

The speech WAS good. There... I said it. And I am a conservative. I bet this really really makes the left wing loons here uncomfortable. The president actually displayed common sense!

December 10, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. Dr. Knows

Newt must be on the wrong meds to praise a Democrat.

December 10, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. babs

When did Newt get a brain? I missed it. Good for him. It's nice to see a GOPer stand up and go against the grain every now and then. Nice to see someone NOT in lockstep with the rest of the fear machine.

December 10, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. WhySoHypocritical?

"Jim", are you on drugs or just mildly retarded?? One of the greatest Presidents ever? Obama?? I guess the last 10 months haven't occurred in your little world but here in mine, he ranks as one of the worst based on his work so far (or lack of). You can be proud to know that Obama proudly has played more rounds of golf than Bush did in his 8 years in office, way to go Mr. President! Way to go!!

December 10, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. I am the not-so-great and powerless wizard of Rush

Ouch, I just fell off my chair.

December 10, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Ben in Oil City

Hopefully, Newt is showing the other members of his party a lesson on what it means to be the loyal opposition. I'm a Democrate, but that does not mean I hate everything Republican.
    If Ronald Reagan had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, I would have been proud as a American of him, but I can still disagree with his policies.

December 10, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  20. Kevin in Ohio

One more thing.... this article and the comments that are shown PROVE that the left wing liberals are the ones full of hate and unwilling to depart from their talking points.

December 10, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  21. Mike Syracuse, NY

80% of Americans either think Obama hasn't earned this yet, or will NEVER earn it. If you ever gotten recognition when you know you shouldn't have, you're not proud, you're embarrassed. Of course with his ego, Obama deep down thinks he deserves this and more. Newt has been more gracious than most Democrats ever were with Bush.

December 10, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  22. Black Viper

Not all republicans are idiots. Some of them are now realizing following or pleasing the uneducated tea party morons and Fox news ridiculous commentators is unproductive.

December 10, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  23. Sam of CA

Newt is a hard one to pin down on where he is coming from. He's seldom been too hardline but still has a right-wing agenda. I've never seen him consistently lock-step with the GOP line. His way kinda seems like if the GOP agrees with him then great. If they dont then too bad. Maybe based on how the party is behaving hes trying to present himself as an independent Republican. Who knows maybe it will actually work.

December 10, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  24. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Oh my God!!! I'm going to have a heart attack! Did the Newt just praise our Commander-in-Chief? On behalf of our President: thank you.

December 10, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. Brad - Ohio

Obviously, Newt didn't get the GOP talking points spewed by Hannity, Fox and Friends, Limbaugh, O'Reilly and the other hatemongers. There is hope.

December 10, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |