December 10th, 2009
3 months ago

Gingrich praises Obama's speech

Gingrich praises Obama's speech.
Gingrich praises Obama's speech.

(CNN) – Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich praised President Obama's acceptance speech Thursday before the Nobel Committee in Oslo.

"I thought the speech was actually very good," Gingrich told NPR's The Takeaway. "He clearly understood that he had been given the prize prematurely, but he used it as an occasion to remind people, first of all, as he said: that there is evil in the world."

The comments mark the second time in a month that Gingrich has given President Obama's performance a positive nod. Following the president's speech at West Point, Gingrich said the decision to increase troop levels in Afghanistan "took considerable courage."

Filed under: Newt Gingrich • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Ted, Washington DC

The former speaker has always been a fair and wise man, the derogation of the democrats at large notwithstanding

December 10, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. Keith

Idiot liberals grandstanding!! Deal with it. Finally, Obama does something praise-worthy!

December 10, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. jules sand-perkins

The more Obama speaks with truth, logic, and practicality, the more Republicans he will find who agree with him.

December 10, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. JS007

What, a GOP-er finally using his brain and showing a little honesty? Good for Gingrich. While I disagree with him on most issues I admire his ability to stand up to the tea-baggers and give Obama some credit when credit is due. Even G.W. Bush did a couple things right (e.g. immigration reform attempt and the initial action in Afghanistan).

December 10, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  5. runswithbeer

Why on Earth would anyone care what Newt says or thinks?
    He's one of the ID10T's that got us in the mess we're in today.

December 10, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. Cindy

Newt only likes the President's speech because he said "evil" as in "evil doers." As in, he agrees with GWBush on something.

Obama already said there is evil in this world, back in the Saddleback debate. This was nothing new, nothing contrary to what we already knew about how Obama felt.

Thanks anyway, Newt.

December 10, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. Andy from CA

Megga Diddos, now we gotta get Mr. Snerdly to offer some praise. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this.

December 10, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. Randy

I'm amazed at any comment made that expresses surprise that Obama is pursuing more troops and continued action in Afghanistan.
    Did you people not listen to him during the campaign...where he clearly indicated that the thought involvement in Afghanistan was necessary and justified?

December 10, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. Evans Oseki

Gingrich got hit by lightning for real........what? Never too late to return to church I guess. Keep it up G.

December 10, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. Val in MA

Some of you liberals just make me chuckle – have no backbone at all. You are like sheep that will agree with everything and anything your master Obama would say or do. I thought your belief was that there was no evil in the world. Remember the liberal outcry when Bush referred to Iran as "axis of evil"? Now it's ok because it was Obama that uttered it. Unbelievable.

December 10, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. Tom

So nice of Newt to give his approval. The world will rest easy tonight.

December 10, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. LacrosseMom

The naysayers will criticize and demonize President Obama. Even if GOD Himself came down and said Obama is one of the good guys, the far-right-haters would continue to hate. Its what they do!

President Obama IS a peacemaker! He has reached out repeatedly to the GOP, only to have the door slammed on his face.

President Obama, INHERITED the wars. The fact that he discerned carefully the need for more Troops is proof that it pains him to have to continue to fight. I am for withdrawal from Afghanistan, its a lost cause.

Republicans have historically been on the wrong side of history; they have been shouting "the communists are coming!" for 50 years. They have labeled every social program, including Medicare ....... socialism!

So what is Newt & Palin approve of President Obama's speech?

December 10, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Former Republican

I watched the speech. I am very proud of who we have as President representing our country. The President and First Lady represent our country in a positive manner. As I was watching both of them I realized how Blessed we are as Americans.

December 10, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Purple Alaska

Whoa!

I think we've reached a partisan epiphany, folks! Could this be a changing tide in the GOP....one that perhaps ushers in a bit of "civility" for a change?

Now that some "change" that I could embrace.

Show 'em how, Newt!
    ;)

December 10, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  15. EZ

THANK God, finally Newt shows some class and common decency.

I'm VERY proud of my President wining the Nobel Peace Prize. More Americans should also be PROUD of their President. It's an honor.

President Obama didn't ask to be awarded the prize, so I'm not sure WHY everyone is attacking him for being AWARDED the prize.

It was awarded by a panel of world leaders who deemed President Obama the awardee. They've been doing this for 100s of years, so the panel KNOWS what they are doing. They didn't just pull President Obama's name out of a hat. This is a very long and detail process that isn't taken lightly by a panel of world leaders.

The panel obviously KNOWS more than we as American citizens do when it came to making their decision on awarding President Obama the peace prize.

I don't care about all the HATERS, I for one, am very PROUD of my President, it's an honor to have this prize bestowed on our own President of the United States, Barrack Obama.

Congratulations Mr. President!

December 10, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  16. dennisk

I have taken issue in the past with Mr. Gingrich's policies and moral failures, but I commend him for, at the very least, giving the appearance of fairness in assessing the President's performance. Even those of us who voted for Obama know he is not perfect (who is?) and disagree with some of his decisions. But if Mr. Gingrich is willing to make the effort to return to civil discourse over our political differences, I stand behind him 100 percent.

December 10, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  17. Joe

Obama is known to make good speeches. So far that's all he made for the first year in office.

December 10, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  18. Darbel

Wowwwwwwww i'm shock to hear that from Newt,there is a god.

December 10, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  19. Mike in NJ

Um, This headline makes me think I need to read Mr. Obama's speech very carefully. If Newt likes it, I feel a little queasy...

December 10, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  20. Not THAT Anonymous

I thought the speech was pretty good but I still see weakness in him. He still seems to be trying to regain "respect" from the world by apologizing for everything. If Bush had given this exact speech, the left would be screaming about additional troops in Afghanistan....but now, they seem silent.

Oh, Cliff Averhoff, quit hatin' on Fox just because they are kicking everybody's butt in the ratings. Fox is "right" and CNN is "left"...it all equals out. Just be happy. :)

December 10, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  21. Always a Conservative

Never a dumbocrat always a conservative, so that's where some of the extra millions went. I was wondering where Barrack stashed it?

For the "Who cares what he thinks", this prize was definitly given prematurely. And at that giving it to a so called president who deosn't deserve to be and then before he has done anything. Who's sucking what here?

December 10, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  22. John

I'm still amazed people can support Obama at this point. But then again, most people only watch the 11 O' clock news and CNN and have no idea what's really going on.

December 10, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. johnrj08

I never like Newt. Not since his attempt to railroad Bill Clinton. But he is probably one of the smarter, more pragmatic conservatives out there. The way Gingrich handles the right-wing of his party over the next two years is going to real interesting. I would love to see him debate Sarah Palin. It would be the kind of verbal slaughter that she deserves. Still, Gingrich is too much of ideologue to be president.

December 10, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  24. Stacie

I hope all Americans listen to President Obama's speech. Right wingers...just listen to it and suspend your blind hatred for a second. This was an amazing speech, a gift and a call to action!

December 10, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  25. Libby

Congratulations Mr. President and congratulations to America. This prize was not only for the President but for the whole country. It is wonderful to know that the Greatness of America is still being recognized. It is also wonderful to know that other people in other countries once again respect us and do not, as the last 8 years, abhor us. Thank you, President Obama!

December 10, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |