December 10th, 2009
10 months ago

Gingrich praises Obama's speech

Gingrich praises Obama's speech.
Gingrich praises Obama's speech.

(CNN) – Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich praised President Obama's acceptance speech Thursday before the Nobel Committee in Oslo.

"I thought the speech was actually very good," Gingrich told NPR's The Takeaway. "He clearly understood that he had been given the prize prematurely, but he used it as an occasion to remind people, first of all, as he said: that there is evil in the world."

The comments mark the second time in a month that Gingrich has given President Obama's performance a positive nod. Following the president's speech at West Point, Gingrich said the decision to increase troop levels in Afghanistan "took considerable courage."

Filed under: Newt Gingrich • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. B

This Idiot is trying hard to get back in the mainstream and knows that slamming Obama will hurt his chances..

This guy along with McCain should be on a golf course and out of politics!

December 10, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  2. Dan, TX

Obama just said the same things he's been saying for the past three years. What's the big deal.

December 10, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  3. C Spurgeon

I thought it was a great speech and motivational. If we give him a chance he will be a great President.

December 10, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. Shawn Arnott

I thought the speech was also very good, and I am also a Republican.

Much of the anger in our party with the president has little to do with the color of the President's skin. I have always disliked the President's past practice of criticising our past policies while he was on foreign soil. This speech was one of the best I have ever heard him give, and he has given a lot of great speeches. I am thankful he used the occasion to remind the world he was a head of state, duty bound to protect his country by whatever means necessary.

December 10, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  5. Tired

Be still my heart. Glad to see Newt can put assist partisanship on occasion. But...for the nth time.....most often the Peace Prize has been given to those who STRIVE for peace. Unfortunately, in this world we succeed very rarely.

December 10, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. marcia

Lovely speech.
    Talk is cheap!

December 10, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  7. Michelle Obama

For the second time in my life I'm proud of the president.

December 10, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  8. kelly

Wow. This is the exact reason why I voted for Obama.

I'm a Republican. I begrudgingly researched him after McCain chose Palin as his running mate. After seeing how pragmatic he is, I felt I had no choice. He continues to prove that I made the right decision.

Increasing troops in Afghanistan is not a popular choice with many Democrats. He's not worried about being reelected; he's worried about doing what's right for this country.

Hopefully the tide is turning and our elected officials will actually work toward a common goal rather than campaigning for the next election.

December 10, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  9. vic nashville , Tn

Is it real ? I can’t believe it ?

Anyway Dick Cheney, Karl Rove ,Palin, and Glenn beck will attacked him

December 10, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  10. dick delson

GNewt complimenting Obama. I may faint*

December 10, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. MaryJo

I'm surprised he understood the speech well enough to comment on it.

December 10, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. Seriously, Left

Look at all the people attacking Newt when he was saying "good" things about the president. If you're going to be attacked no matter what you say, isn't that partisanship? No wonder this country will never solve deeper problems like racism. It was a good speech....one of his best yet.

December 10, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  13. Gary

See President Obama, all you had to do was escalate a war, now all the Republican war mongers love you.

December 10, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. Tom

I'm almost getting a warm fuzzy feeling. I'm democrat, but in some ways conservative (not neocon) and other ways liberal. The comments here give me hope that there are reasonable Americans and politicians who don't criticize and spin *everything* of the opposing party. The hate, accusations, spin, and stinkbombing only cloud the issues that desparately need rational and perhaps compromise solutions. Republicans have some good ideas, but the messages gets lost in the twisted spin of the neocon commentators. Good for Newt. I predict the R party could make a huge comeback if they chucked the neocons and the hatemongering.

December 10, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. Aspen Professor

Watch it Newt!!!!!!!!!! The Republican extremists will be drumming your out of THEIR Republican Party.

December 10, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  16. Beverly in NC

Once again who cares what this disgraced, negative, irrelevant Republican has to say about anything? He and Dick Cheney need to get a grip that their time is long past and no one cares what these criminals think and that we only laugh at their attempts to try to pretend to still be important.

December 10, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  17. Steve

He deserves it!
    Because his ambition shown to make progress under short periods of time with little to no resources due top previous US leaders smothering our economy. He at least tried and is still going and hasn’t taken a vacation to his mystery ranch which shows his attitude to a full recovery!!
    KEEP GOING AND GOING AND GOING! And please run in 2012!!

December 10, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  18. donttreadonme

That is because for once Obama was not condemning the US infront of the world!

December 10, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  19. They call me "tater salad"

Hey Newt................3 words for ya...........Contract with America......Nuff said.........Now get lost!

December 10, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  20. m smith

like the president need the praises of this idiot. But it was a great speack.

December 10, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. G. Clare

Gingrich isn't an idiot - Democratic members of Congress will attest to that. If you don't like his politics, fine, but he's not an idiot . As to President Obama - good speech today. I didn't vote for him, still wouldn't as I don't like his politics at all but I do acknowledge when I believe he's done something in the best interests of Americans. While I appreciate if other countries respect our President - I'm more concerned as to whether the President's first priority is the safety of our country and of Americans. While I'm not confident that that is a key concern for him, I am definitely giving President Obama the opportunity to demonstrate whether it is. I do however give him credit for wanting to be president - with all the backbiting, hatred and nasty things said about presidents (and I'm going back more than two decades) - who would want this thankless job.

December 10, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  22. Thuglicans

"… the speech was actually very good… there is evil in the world!"

Wow, Newt says something right twice in one interview! Though he might not readily admit that Thuglicans (Republicans that are thugs == the current GOP) are part of the evil in the world! :(

December 10, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  23. Jeremy in Albuquerque

I was lucky enough to be unable to sleep at the wee hours this morning when CNN first aired Obama's speech. I agree that it was another intelligent, eloquent speech by our President, but that is not surprising since I voted for him and still back him 100%. What surprises me is the right wing support, and not from Newt and Sarah, but from the Republicans and Conservatives who post on CNN. Thank you.

December 10, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  24. betty

I want to say congradulation Newt. on your comments of President Obama. It is a great speech. Making hard decision, sending more troops to Afghanistan knowing you will be come unpopular to all sides of the aisle. President Obama understands that is was premature ot win the peace prize, but i do know president Obama is the head of state who will protect this country and his citizens. If this includes continuing a war then it must be done. I know that other countries know President Obama is willing to listen willing to work with other countries but he is not a push over

December 10, 2009 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  25. Just Me

Obama should keep inviting him to the White House. It looks like he is getting good results.

December 10, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |