December 10th, 2009
9 months ago

Grayson to Cheney: Time to 'STFU'

Grayson to Cheney: Time to ‘STFU’
Grayson to Cheney: Time to ‘STFU’

Washington (CNN) – Outspoken Rep. Alan Grayson has a message for blunt-speaking former Vice President Dick Cheney: stop talking.

Responding to the former VP’s criticism of President Obama’s national security policy, including his decision to try accused 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in civilian court, the Florida Democrat lapsed into Web-speak.

“You know, on the internet there's an acronym that's used to apply to situations like this. It's called ‘STFU,’” Grayson said on MSNBC’s Hardball. “I don't think I can say that on the air, but I think you know what that means.” The letters are an acronym for “shut the f*** up.”

Cheney has been a vocal critic of the president’s policies, telling Fox News earlier this week that the extended decision-making process on Afghanistan “feeds into sort of the basic al Qaeda strategy” by fueling a sense of uncertainty on the future direction of U.S. involvement.

Filed under: Alan Grayson • Dick Cheney • Popular Posts
  1. Charlie

So, Mr. Grayson's idea of a locially formed rebuttal to Cheney's valid criticisms is what?! Vulgar insults? I'm sure it makes for great TV, but that's not really in his job description, is it? What an oaf.

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  2. Bill Taylor

It's about time somebody told Cheney to STFU. He feeds fear. He relys on peoples fear to push his agenda. People should be smart enough to see through Cheney-spaek by now.

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. KTinCA

Where has civility gone in this country and in government? This clown seems to have a pass to say anything he wants, no matter how ignorant or crass. Mr. Grayson, you mar the image of our legislators (not to mention our country's standing in civilization) even more with your boyish comments. Grow up and act like an adult!

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  4. Kirstie

I ♥ this guy.

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  5. Walker

I love this guy, finally a Dem with some ballz. Cheney is an idiot and frankly unAmerican in his constant criticism. He should be trying to offer helpful advice instead of sitting on the sidelines complaining. He continues to hurt the "Party of No".
    Especially coming from the VP of one of the most embarrassing presidencies of all time.

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. carol

darth cheney has no business calling the president of the united states a traitor (aid and abet the enemy) when he himself is guilty of war crimes, never mind his very ugly impact on our foreign relations for the last several and future decades. so – stfu!

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  7. Mike

Wow...nice. I would expect no less from this...individual. Keeping in the spirit of acroynisms, possibly we would say our econmy under the current administration is FUBAR'd and SNAFU'd. Of course, looking at all the multi-trillion dollar deficit looming in the future with even more projected by this administration with absolutely no end in sight, I'd probably have to go with BOHICA!

December 10, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  8. Anonymous

THANKYOU MR. GRAYSON!!! If I had a platform to say it, I would have. Thankyou sir!

December 10, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. Jeff

Dems always seem to try to imply an attitude of being the bigger man, claiming to be the more intellegent, sympathetic crowd. Why not act like it?

Don't get all riled up over it and it will go away. Besides, what's wrongn with being critical? Critics are the ones what point out problems and identify them for you to fix. All listening to supporters does is make you feel good – the apparent theme of the dems.

December 10, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  10. Mervin

I'm glad we finally have someone with the courage to fight back against Dick Cheney's incessant and insulting comments. If Cheney were really committed to his ideals he would have ran for President. He would have lost in a landslide too. Cheney's a war criminal in every sense of the term. Only in America can someone like him still appear on talk shows and continue to spew his idiotic rants against our current President. Mr. Obama's the Commander in Chief now, Mr. Cheney. You're undermining the troops every time you (a discredited and disgruntled ex-politician and draft-dodger) question his direction to end the illegal war that you started. I agree with Rep. Grayson.

December 10, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  11. Tom Bachman

This guy is Traficant with better hair. Such an embarrassment.

December 10, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  12. Greg Ballantyne

Cheney should have STFU years and years ago. Nothing but excrement passes his lips.

December 10, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  13. Dave

Who cares what this idiot thinks. Cheney has served his country very well. This guy's language tells us what class he belongs to. Why is it even News??

December 10, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. Al in Florida

Good for you Grayson! About time someone told Cheney to shut it!

15. Lisa B

Once again, Grayson has the balls to say what millions of us are thinking. Woo! Woo! Woo! Yea!

16. Jerrold

The democrats need more representation like Rep. Alan Grayson. It is time to fight fire with fire for the good of this country. I applaud Grayson for not holding any punches. I am sure he will take heat for his comments and that is just fine. The gloves are coming off now.

17. Nancy Solle

Thank you, Alan Grayson!

18. Adam in CO

Way to go Grayson! I've always questioned Cheney's true patriotism. He is taking his criticism too far, and makes outrageous claims that he no longer has the proof or availability to intel that he is able to back up.

STFU Cheney. You left your office and left this country in shambles when you handed it off.

19. Cathy in AZ

I second that – Dick Cheney needs to STFU – this idea that trying these criminals in NY is "adding and abeting" the enemy is ludicrous. He is accusing the Presindent of treason! And the talking heads @ FOX continue to spread this crap! He is simply trying to save his own reputation due to the disaster that was the Bush Administratiion!

20. Grant

Isn't that the truth!

21. Iowa voter

Shows how many smarts he has. And people ask me why I left the Democratic Party – I wonder.

22. Michael from New Jersey

Good for Grayson! Cheney does need to STFU, because it was his policies that got us into this mess in the first place.

23. tony hasse

Cheney should be indicted for treason.

24. palmer

Don't like Cheney one bit. But this wacko needs to go. I hope his constituents show him the door in the next election.

25. jim

I couldn't agree more. Just STFU Dick!!!
    It's quite unseemly for an ex vp to be sniping at the current administration all the time. never in my memory has this happened before. I guess it's another sign of how broken our political discussion has become. no one really talks to each other any more. They just want to see their soundbite get on the air. I also think this raises the question of whether Cheney is hoping to run in 2012. As far as I'm concerned there is no way he'd even come close to winning but It sure seems like he wishes he'd run last year.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12