December 10th, 2009
8 months ago

Grayson to Cheney: Time to 'STFU'

Grayson to Cheney: Time to ‘STFU’
Grayson to Cheney: Time to ‘STFU’

Washington (CNN) – Outspoken Rep. Alan Grayson has a message for blunt-speaking former Vice President Dick Cheney: stop talking.

Responding to the former VP’s criticism of President Obama’s national security policy, including his decision to try accused 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in civilian court, the Florida Democrat lapsed into Web-speak.

“You know, on the internet there's an acronym that's used to apply to situations like this. It's called ‘STFU,’” Grayson said on MSNBC’s Hardball. “I don't think I can say that on the air, but I think you know what that means.” The letters are an acronym for “shut the f*** up.”

Cheney has been a vocal critic of the president’s policies, telling Fox News earlier this week that the extended decision-making process on Afghanistan “feeds into sort of the basic al Qaeda strategy” by fueling a sense of uncertainty on the future direction of U.S. involvement.

Filed under: Alan Grayson • Dick Cheney • Popular Posts
  1. stranger in an increasingly strange land

After the last failed Cheney Presidency (the one where he was holding the George the second puppet on his knee), why should anyone with any sembelance of a brain listen to Cheney.

It is fairly obvious to most people that Cheney did the thinking for the Bush White House. In the same way that Rush does for the rank and file of the rest of the Republicans ("You don't have to think. I'll do the thinking for you.")

Come to think of it maybe that is why I can't be a Republican. I think for myself and I don't always agree with what anyone in power tells me to think.

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  2. john

nobody cares what this idiot or his kid says. he is no longer in a position to destroy this country as he did for 8 years. ship him off to elba where he belongs and put w there too.

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  3. CommonSense09

Thank you, Rep. Grayson! Not only is his message right on, but it's about time a Democrat get a pair and tell the Crypt Keeper his party had 8 years and they left the country in shambles. No one cares about Darth Vader's two cents!

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  4. Gary

About time some one stood up to this idiot. Cheney was propably the worst vp ever, to go along with the worst president ever.Maybe it's time someone took him hunting without his rifle.

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. s22

finally someone nut up and said it! good for you Grayson

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  6. Patriot Guy

I cannot think of a better symbol of the "Democratic-Socialist Party of America" than this BUFFOON.

-Intolerance of the SLIGHTEST alternative views.
    -belligerence
    -vulgarity
    -stupidity
    -greed
    -power-lust
    -love of bureaucracy
    -love of taxes and wasteful government spending

This NUT-CASE has got ALL of the cardinal traits of a typical democrat. EVERY SINGLE ONE!! All the guy has to do now is get convicted of a felony and he would be the perfect democrat.

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  7. pt

There has never been such an outspoken, critical ex-vice president in my memory. Could it be because he actually ran the country Bush's first term, until he was cut off for making wrong decisions, and needs desparately to vindicate himself? I don't know what is wrong with him, but perhaps a counselor could help.

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. glib lib

We need more democrats like this in congress. One's with enough backbone to say what needs to be said. I applaud Representative Grayson for saying exactly what the majority of the country is thinking.

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  9. Jefe

What is going on with Cheney? Is President Obama not funneling enough money into Cheney's corporate war profiteer interests or what?

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  10. Jason

taking defense advice from Cheney is like talking to a Cubs fan about winning the world series. He neither served our country nor defended it, no matter how growley a fce he makes

December 10, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  11. Jon

Beautiful! Couldn't have said it better myself. After how badly his administration screwed up everything it did, you'd think he'd just want to crawl under a rock and hide in quiet, shameful disgrace.

December 10, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. jim

I couldn't agree more. Just STFU!!!
    It's quite unseemly for an ex vp to be sniping at the current administartion all the time. never in my memeory has this happened before. I guess it's another sign of how broken our political discussion has become. no one really talks to each other any more. They just want to see thier soundbite get on the air. I also think this raises the question of whwteher Cheney is hoping to run in 2012. As far as I'm concerned there is no way he'd even come close to winning but It sure seems like he wishes he'd run last year.

December 10, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. Gary

Not very congressman-like, but that's exactly what I would say to Cheney.

December 10, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  14. Bill

Dear Representative Grayson, Please sir, take this comment as it is intended. Name calling, rash comments, and demands for your loyal opposition to sit down and take what they "deserve", show the highest and finest attitude of the Democratic Party. You are a shining start of ignorance and just plain bullying tactics and all Democrats in this blessed land of liberty should stand up and follow your shinning example of how to deal with people who don't believe what you believe. After all we are all free to believe what we want to believe, right? As long as it is what you believe. It is with deepest sincerity that I ask you Representative Grayson to STFU!

December 10, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  15. David

Classy. This is the Democratic rhetorical response to an argument. They can't defend their position so we end up with SFTU. No wonder Obama poll numbers are sinking.

December 10, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  16. Patriot

I second that!

December 10, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  17. Terry - Indiana

My position may not be as aggressive, but I will try. Rather than ask Mr. Cheney to shut-up, I would like to ask him to raise his righthand, and swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth. My next question would be, "Why did you encourage torture, which sent a message to our troops that the White House was in favor of mistreating prisoners?"

December 10, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  18. Linda

Awe, like a child. He has a complex and needs attention. Hardly the psycho one wants as a Congressman.

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  19. subaqueous

Whatever. It's ironic that this liberal numbskull is wearing a monopoly money tie.

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  20. androloma

Needs to GTFO as well...

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  21. David Weirich

Wow, that was really mature!!

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  22. CBR

While I do not support Mr. Grayson I do agree that it is time for Dick Cheney to retire. His administration did not finish the job it started in Afghanistan. Others have to pick up the pieces and our troops are in harms way again.

Whether you are a Republican or Democrat you have to be aware that we left Afghanistan without finishing the mission or giving the manpower aid they needed, Had we done so there would have been a police force and security force in training. Education would have been a priority.

Unless Mr. Cheney wishes to explain this fiasco he created (He takes most of the credit for the war along with Donald Rumsfeld,) then he needs to allow this administration to move forward without his advice.

Let's stop the bickering and in-fighting and get the job done so we can bring our troops home!!!!!

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  23. GOP Orange Curtain CA

Grayson – actually I think it's more like time to start Cheney himself on trial for insulting the intelligence of Americans and starting a war based on lies for his own selfish financial benefit.

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  24. greg

he should shut up, the afghan policy bush and him had in place was working just fine(being sarcastic).

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  25. Randall

It's great to see such eloquent speakers in our nation's government.

December 10, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |