December 10th, 2009
11 months ago

Palin on Obama speech: 'I liked what he said'

'I liked what he said,' former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said of the president's Nobel acceptance speech.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin had some rare praise Thursday for President Obama after the president delivered his Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech in Oslo. But the former Republican vice presidential nominee added that she would like to see the president act more like his predecessor, George W. Bush.

"I liked what he said," Palin told USAToday in an interview after the speech.

Palin said the president's remarks had a familiar ring. "I thumbed through my book quickly this morning to say 'Wow! That really sounded familiar.' because I talked in book too about the fallen nature of man and why war is necessary at times."

Related: War sometimes justified, Obama says

But Palin suggested Obama could learn a few things from former President Bush.

"We have to stop those terrorists over there," she told the paper. "We've learned our lesson from 9/11. George Bush did a great job of reminding Americans every single day that he was in office what that lesson is. And, by the way, I'd like to see President Obama follow more closely in the footsteps of George Bush and [Bush's] passion keeping the homeland safe, his passion for respecting – honoring our troops."

Palin is the second prominent Republican to praise Obama's speech accepting the Nobel Prize, after former House Speaker Newt Gingrich called it "very good."

Polls indicate that most Americans believe the award was given to the president prematurely. In his remarks, Obama acknowledged the controversy as he accepted the esteemed international prize after less than a year in the White House.

"I receive this honor with deep gratitude and great humility," Obama said in the speech. "Compared to some of the giants of history who have received this prize ... my accomplishments are slight."

Read: Obama's Nobel acceptance speech

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. WIlly Brown

Another stump speech blaming Bush as usaul.

December 10, 2009 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  2. Bert K.

Dateline: "Palin opens her mouth twice in same day" With so many people out of work it is just wrong that you guys get paid for writing this. It is not news.

December 10, 2009 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  3. Russell

Now Sarah, when did your point-of-view become sage advice to anyone? You could barely pull a veep endeavor successfully, after which you did what most people who cannot do......write a book! I know many people much more qualified to do what you did taking advantage of the bully pulpit afforded you by your unsuccessful run for the veep opening. Your book should have been titled 'Read em and veep!!

December 10, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  4. ATL Guy

Man, I just finished watching Jersey Shore on MTV and then saw this story about Palin. Can't decide which was more stupid – watching that show or reading this story. She's trying to either insinuate that Obama stole material from her book or that she's in tune with what he's thinking. She's a stupid joke and doesn't even know it.

December 10, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  5. Donald

Whos cares what she or any other dimwitted conservative thought about President Obama's speech. Why does CNN keep posting this crap!! These folks bring nothing to the table but chaos, controversy and bs. No one is listening to her or any other bottom feeder conservative out there. Leave Palin and other cartoon characters to the cartoon network...Faux News.

December 10, 2009 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  6. Mark

Why should anyone care what Sarah Palin has to say? With all the media coverage we're treating her like she's Lincoln delivering the Gettysburg address. This woman is completely out of her depth on just about every topic.

December 10, 2009 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  7. tiger rules

...Newt did the same thing, only he was first to compliment obama. Am i the only one that see's the pattern here? She completely lacks originality, she has no thoughts of her own, her life is spelled out on a teleprompter. Anyone who follows this woman is a sheep, pure and simple.

December 10, 2009 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  8. Kevin

You know, Palin may be right, I heard the speech and he used words like 'the' and 'in' a number of times, and those are in her book, too.

December 10, 2009 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  9. The President is right

The President is right, the difference is that Obama didnt start the illegal war in Iraq, or the torture in Abhu Graib or set up the contracts for KBR to become filthy rich when the outsourced the illegal war. Obama has no blood on his hands

Yes, the President talking truth to the world about America,

He had no hand in the evil horrors created by his predecsors.

Bush and Cheney are suspected to be war criminals, They will go to trial in this lifetime.

They are covered in the blood of innocents .

Lets keep it straight. Any questions

December 10, 2009 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. johnrj08

Compliments from this person Obama doesn't need. She has no judgment or credentials which give her praise any weight at all.

December 10, 2009 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  11. willowood

Yes, Sarah, and I guess you ghost wrote his speech. What nerve as you "thumbed' through the book you did not write or read! You are such an embarrassment to the U.S. But that right wing really loves ya'...so could be that you too may be prez some day. Worse things could not happen to our country. All kidding aside, nothing could make me want to leave this country I love so much than S.P. being president.

December 10, 2009 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  12. rosher32

Be Like Mike has a ring to it ... But be like W ?? .Dont think so....

Thank God we dodge this bullet (VP Candidacy) I respect McCain for his war services (long ago) but he has proven to be just another politician who will change courses (and choices) to further his agenda. He can defend his VP pick til he is six feet under but who actually believes Sarah is VP or president material.....

December 10, 2009 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  13. Murali Behara

Now i'm really tempted to get that book from library and see what's in it. I will ignore all the rumors out there that, it's her ghost writer, who actually wrote that book with many factual flaws.

December 10, 2009 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  14. mitch92021

Bush, Palin, Cheney, Two cowards and an idiot. What do you think. These idiots will not rest until they destroy the country with their stupidity and arrogance

December 10, 2009 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  15. TB

Bush and Palin....dumb and dumber

December 10, 2009 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  16. Independent

Obama gave an exemplary speech, and Mrs Palin-the former governor who quit her job to go on a book tour-claims that the president's thoughts were well aligned with hers.

Mrs Palin could have simply acknowledged that this was an exceptional pro-American speech, fitly delivered by a US president, without resorting to these juvenile, attention starved antics, in an embarrassing attempt to shore up her own intellectual acumen.

These junior high "I-had-the-right-answer-too" claims do nothing to convince the American people that she should be taken seriously.

December 10, 2009 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  17. kimberly

HAHAHA...did she just say Obama stole her words? OMG! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..this woman gets more insane by the minute! Yeah, palin you moron, the Harvard Grad needed to use YOUR words, someone that barely graduated a junior college in FIVE years! HAHAHAHAHAHA..shes so looney...I love her!

December 10, 2009 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  18. Visitor

War should never ever be necessary. That's the whole problem with the human race. They are primitive, non-evolved, beings.

December 10, 2009 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  19. debbie

I promise you Barack Obama hasn't read her "book". Also, why did she have to thumb through it to see what she'd said. Doesn't she remember? What a freaking dingbat. I wish she were a man so she wouldn't reflect so badly on all the intelligent women in America.

December 10, 2009 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  20. Shelly

Great speech. Thank God for a wise and intelligent President during these urgent times. His speech underscored the realistic idealism that he pursues. You made us proud, President Obama!

December 10, 2009 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  21. S Callahan ..make your life better read Psalm 51

First, President Obama is a Christian..that is a fact. He looks to scripture for guidance, or at least that is what he tells the citizens who write to him. I believe he does and holds no shame in that. I had to laugh to see you try to take the credit from 'your' book..my dear Ms. Palin...the Good Lord himself spoke two thousand years ago about the fallen man...and the way to rise up as well. Sorry but this credit can only go to Jesus.

I think President Obama did an excellent speech, and what struck me is that it suited his personality best. He doesn't need to imitate the Former President, he is his own person, and must be true to that.

December 10, 2009 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  22. Sue

Oh, poor Sarah. To quote John McEnroe, "You can NOT BE SERIOUS!" Each time she opens her mouth she embarrasses herself more than the last. More embarrassing, as an American, is that people see her as a leader. I wouldn't let her lead me to water in the desert.

December 10, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  23. rcasteel

No, I don't think Obama paraphrased Palin. I think someone else paraphrased Palin and put it on his teleprompter, he just reads what he's told...like a good Democrat does.

December 10, 2009 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  24. B. Bear

Did she just accuse Pres. Obama of plagarizing her ghost writer? Unbelievable! I also give her no credit for being positive about the Pres. Basicallyl, her comment was, "I am applauding you with my middle finger extended."

December 10, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  25. RN for Obama

Yeah, I am sure President Obama read Palin's book...Ha Ha! I am quite sure he has better things to read.

December 10, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |