December 11th, 2009
8 months ago

At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking

At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking.
At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking.

(CNN) – Santa won't forget the nation's first dog this Christmas, according to Michelle Obama.

In a special holiday interview, the first lady told Oprah Winfrey that Portuguese water dog Bo has a stocking, just like every other member of the Obama family. "Santa loves Bo too," she said.

President Obama - who has his own stocking, just like daughters Sasha and Malia - told Winfrey about his favorite Christmas gift as a child. "I do remember the one time I met my father he was visiting during Christmas and he gave me a basketball," said the president. "And - the degree to which I came to love basketball - it wasn't until much later in life that I realized, 'Actually, he gave me that basketball.' I think there was some cause and effect there in terms of the degree to which I just ended up taking up the sport as a kid who didn't know his dad."

The Obamas' full White House sitdown with Winfrey is set to air Wednesday.

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. cmb

to anonymous–who proclaims his Christianity for all to hear–nice Christian name calling there buddy, good Christian attitude of forgiveness, love, peace and all that other stuff you claim to believe in. Right.

December 11, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  2. Squealy

Anonymous, no one said YOU could not celebrate Christmas. What the president said was that HE is calling HIS tree a holiday tree because HE, being in the position he is as the leader of the entire country, wants all persuasions to feel included in HIS holiday celebrations, and he feels that is better served if HE calls HIS tree a holiday tree. Now, is that ok with you?

December 11, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain

The Beagle I was raised with always got a rawhide bone from Santa for Christmas. I was wonderful to see her enthusiasm and satisfaction from such a simple gift.

I hope Santa gives Bo lots of treats, too!

December 11, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  4. ThinkAgain

So funny the way people politicize this story ... so here's my contribution. To everyone who thinks President Obama is "economically illiterate":

It was Republican economic policy, starting with Reagan's tinkle-down, voodoo economics, irresponsible tax cuts for the wealthy who invest overseas and lay off Americans, coupled with de-regulation of the financial industry, that brought our country to the brink of another Great Depression.

President Obama has pulled us away from that brink. And if the GOP, its governors, Congress, Senate and lackeys would do their jobs and put our country first instead of their own party, this economic recovery would be a lot further along.

GOP = Party Before Country

December 11, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. TeddyN

To those who keep saying That Pres. Obama called the Christmas tree the Holiday tree. Get your facts straight. I watched the ceremony and it was called Christmas tree and He also said Merry Christmas and Happy holidays, which I think is appropriate.

December 11, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  6. ThinkAgain

The difference between President Obama and Sarah Palin regarding their children, is the President doesn't use his children for political props. If she wouldn't keep trotting them out, no one would have the opportunity to say anything about them.

But that would require Palin going for more than 48 hours without her "celebrity" fix ... something she simply cannot do!

December 11, 2009 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  7. proud dem in nc

Such a nice family. !!!!!! I'm sure the far right crazies can find something hateful about the poor dog getting a stocking. Such pitiful people. Merry Christmas to the Obama family. Keep up the great work and the h*** with the right wing.

December 11, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  8. Dallas TX

Bo is such a cute puppy. Merry Christmas to the First Family including Bo! Bo is part of the family so why shouldn't he have a Christmas stocking also.

December 11, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  9. LacrosseMom

Some of the far-right comments are the usual mean ones. Even about a dog story!

The far-right considers or claims to be "Christian"! What hypocrites!

President Obama WILL BE REELECTED....... it will shock the GOP-haters, but it will happen.

The Bush Economic Disaster will not be soon forgotten, we, Americans REMEMBER HOW WE GOT HERE!

December 11, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  10. ThinkAgain

Dan, TX: We are NOT a Christian nation! Read the First Amendment; the framers of our Constitution – who were of many religious affiliations – specifically wrote that the government shall not establish a religion.

This protection guarantees that everyone is free to worship or not as they please. That is, afterall, why people came to the New World in the first place!

December 11, 2009 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  11. ThinkAgain

To everyone who thinks the First Family should have mentioned Christmas in their holiday cards ...

Here's a tidbit from Susan Whitson, Laura Bush's press secretary in December 2007:

"Certainly President and Mrs. Bush, because of their faith, celebrate Christmas," said "Their cards in recent years have included best wishes for a holiday season, rather than Christmas wishes, because they are sent to people of all faiths."

December 11, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  12. ThinkAgain

The White House holiday card reads:

"May your family have a joyous holiday season and a new year blessed with hope and happiness."

That's the kind of message my family sends out, too. Because we recognize the world is filled with people of many different faiths – and that there is more than one path to God.

What matters is whether you get there, not how you get there. (God doesn't suffer from the spiritual limitations of humans, you know ...)

December 11, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  13. demogal

What a great and "normal" American family. It has not escaped notice that the Obama girls stayed home and went to school while the Palin kids were being drug around as props for their self-centered Mom. I just love having such as class act occupying 1600 PA Avenue.

Merry Christmas, Obamas (including Bo), and my dogs have stockings also!

December 11, 2009 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  14. Santa Loves Bo, Too

Wait a minute, I'm not so sure if Santa loves Bo....just kidding. Santa loves Bo too.

Merry Christmas Bo–you rock.

December 11, 2009 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  15. Is Bo A Registered Democrat or Republican?

Hey, is Bo a Dem or a Republican? We're not sure of Santa's politics, so maybe he loves Bo, and maybe he doesn't.

We can't speculate, we have to make some calls and find out just who's side Santa is on.

Sorry Bo, we'll have to get back to you on this one.

December 11, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  16. anna

Some of the comments are so funny. Christmas tree, holiday tree, or w hatever those who are against the president feel today. Lets all of us remember our Lord wasn't born on christmas. The tradition of christmas tree was actually a pagan tradition. I wish the good people of america stop and enjoy the holiday. Our president is doing a good job upholding the tradition of the white house christmas. Its nice to see a president who truly loves his wife and children and their dog Bo. We all should try to remember what is suppose to be this time of year. Instead I see some of you can't help yourself but show your hate. All I can say is we will see 8 years of the Obama family in the white. Get use to it you haters.

December 11, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  17. Patsy, Texas

My dog gets a stocking because she deserves it. She shows no
    bias about how I look, my poltics, or how I dress. She just loves
    me and I love her. So, no more Barney cams (they were cute),
    just a Christmas stocking for Bo. Bless his heart! All you ]
    complainers, will you ever give it a rest????????????

December 11, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  18. M J

Bo is so cute with his adorable markings. I'm sure he's living a good life.

December 11, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  19. sandy

I don't understand the news in this story. My dogs and my parents dogs, their parents dogs, and my sisters dogs have always had a stocking. What's so newsworthy about this??? Gimmie a break and report some real news.

December 11, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |