December 11th, 2009
10 months ago

At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking

At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking.
At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking.

(CNN) – Santa won't forget the nation's first dog this Christmas, according to Michelle Obama.

In a special holiday interview, the first lady told Oprah Winfrey that Portuguese water dog Bo has a stocking, just like every other member of the Obama family. "Santa loves Bo too," she said.

President Obama - who has his own stocking, just like daughters Sasha and Malia - told Winfrey about his favorite Christmas gift as a child. "I do remember the one time I met my father he was visiting during Christmas and he gave me a basketball," said the president. "And - the degree to which I came to love basketball - it wasn't until much later in life that I realized, 'Actually, he gave me that basketball.' I think there was some cause and effect there in terms of the degree to which I just ended up taking up the sport as a kid who didn't know his dad."

The Obamas' full White House sitdown with Winfrey is set to air Wednesday.

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. dave

What a nice story. Where are my Republican friends with their angry, hurtful, un-Christian comments.

December 11, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. Dee Dee Lynn

I am an ardent supporter of President Obama; I think alot of the criticism of him is undeserved (he inherited a horrendous mess and has worked hard to turn it around; moreover, graded against George W. Bush at this point in his presidency with the only accomplishment being allowing a major terrorist attack, President Obama must deserve an A).

So, I am happy if CNN wants to report something positive about the President, BUT I do have to find myself asking why the dog's stocking is newsworthy.

Could CNN find NOTHING more important going on in Congress or elsewhere in the country or the world than this?

December 11, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. Carnell From The Motor City!

Bo Gets A Christmas Stocking, HypocriCNN Gets The Dog House, And Fox News Channel Gets A New Home In The Out House.

December 11, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. S Callahan ..make your life better read Psalm 51

On the humor side President Obama..you would have had the wrath of the world if you didn't have Bo stocking...lollololol

We have always given our furry friends their own stocking and treats for the holiday..I'm mean..they ARE family!

December 11, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. T'SAH from Virginia

The HATERS will emerge and say something NEGATIVE about the First Family!!!

Bo is such a pretty dog! He's BLACK and WHITE and I bet you – he gets along with himself!!!!

December 11, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  6. bobbymagee

Now for every father OR mother out there, who has a child, who you have no communication and/or relationship with, these remarks from President Obama should help you to better understand. Children, NEVER forget their parents (if they had the opportunity to know them), and carry memories for the rest of their life of your interaction with them. So, at this Christmas time, a time for "kids", PLEASE communicate with your children, buy them a present, and LET THEM KNOW YOU LOVE THEM!!!!! The Presidential Family is a wonderful example of LOVE FROM THE HEART!!!

December 11, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. Robin

I have nothing negative to say about this. The girls are children and innocent of their father's choices, good (few) and bad (many). The Obama girls deserve a wonderful Christmas.

If only the "fair minded" dems were so kind when it came to Sarah Palin's children. But, alas, that is a dream.

December 11, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  8. J.P.

How lovely... Barry's dog gets a stocking but the nation gets spiraling unemployment, because Barry is too economically-illiterate to understand why businesses aren't hiring.

If there is one thing Barry is dedicated to, it's the pursuit of equality... where we're all equally miserable, destitute and dependent upon the government... that way, we'll all be good democrat voters.

Next Christmas, this nearly-defeated nation will give Barry the gift of Lame Duck Status for his remaining two years, via a new Republican House and Senate. Bank on it.

And incumbent RINO Republicans, you'd better start packing your bags too, because it won't be you we'll be voting for in the Republican primaries. Term limits... a bad idea whose time has arrived.

December 11, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. Robin

@T'SAH from Virginia December 11th, 2009 5:13 pm ET

Not sure what that comment means? I have a black and white dog. In fact, I'm willing to wager many Americans do. Your point?

December 11, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. J.P.

Bobby Magee, what a very, very nice and lovely post.
    Merry Christmas to you.

December 11, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  11. FAYE, NV

Oh, I just love our first family.

December 11, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. Mesa

Peggy the Moocher wants to know if she gets a stocking too.

She is still waiting for Barack to pay for gas for her car and to pay her mortgage.

December 11, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. Dan, TX

First Family do not know what is Christmas and therefore they did not include Merry Christmas in their cards. President told the world that USA is not a Christian nation so what else can you expect. We do not need to know what first family wants to say. After he left Jeremiah Wright, he has not been going to Church.

December 11, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  14. cgillette369

a diversion. what does Rev Wright, her friend and advisor have to say about "santa".

he hates everything.

December 11, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  15. Right wingnuts are as dumb as a woonsocket

JP, you are a sicko right wingnut . Did you ride to school in a big bus or a little bus? By the way, unemployment is no longer spiraling, like the 750,000 job loss that Bush gave Obama in January. You really have to give up the loonies at extreme media Fox and get some truth.

December 11, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. bbbrooke

Robin... as a registered REPUBLICAN FEMALE I can assure you it isn't just democrats who do not like Sarah Palin.

However, this article was not about her so why make it into a debate. It's uncalled for digs like yours that start the downward spiral of posts.

I prefer to see an occasional feel good story... I am no better off then I was last year at this time, but that does not preclude me from wanting to read something nice instead of constant bickering, cheating, killing, etc.

December 11, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  17. Right wingnuts are as dumb as a woonsocket

To the right wingnuts, the true meaning of Christmas is to go past a homeless shelter and laugh, or go to an emergency room and make fun of those with no insurance. It makes them feel so Christian.

December 11, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  18. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Our pet also get's her own Xmas stocking stuffed with goodies and she loves it and in return she gives lots of love. Merry Xmas Bo.

December 11, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. Anonymous

@J.P... Well, aren't you just a regular Christmas angel?? Don't plan on getting a lot of sleep Christmas Eve; I have a feeling you're going to be visited by three ghosts (and they won't be Limbaugh, Beck and Hannity)....

December 11, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  20. AJ

Barf!!!!

December 11, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. Erin

I love that people can politicize even a story on their Christmas celebrations. I'm surprised you don't complain that he's taken time out of his schedule to eat dinner or use the bathroom. I'm sure you take your job seriously, but there's more to you than just your day job. The president is no exception. He has a family, he celebrates holidays, he does human things. Lay off.

December 11, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  22. Emi

Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year to the Obamas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We love you!

December 11, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  23. Gale

Don't know Dave, you brought it up!!

December 11, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Wow! So, the Obama's celebrate Christmas also? I'm confused just a little but then that's the way Obama wants it to be. First he (Obama) says the Christmas Tree is not a Christmas Tree but rather a Holiday Tree because it is not fair and Politically correct to call it what it really is which is a Christmas Tree. He claims it offends the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc. That's even considering that we have to celebrate their holiday also. That is fine if they want to celebrate their holiday. I have friends that are Jewish and celebrate their holiday. That doesn't offend me at all. What does offend me and frankly just pisses me off is when this douche bag in the White House tells me I can't celebrate Christmas because it will offend someone. You know what? Merry Christmas to all! It is in celebration of Christ's Birthday and I like millions of other Americans will celebrate it. My kids decorate their classroom in the public school system and all. I don't really give 2 cents what the head douche says in the White House! It's Christmas, not Happy Holidays! So MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

December 11, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. MVDCT

Bo gets a stocking and the rest of us get Alpo, great.

December 11, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |