December 11th, 2009
7 months ago

At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking

At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking.
At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking.

(CNN) – Santa won't forget the nation's first dog this Christmas, according to Michelle Obama.

In a special holiday interview, the first lady told Oprah Winfrey that Portuguese water dog Bo has a stocking, just like every other member of the Obama family. "Santa loves Bo too," she said.

President Obama - who has his own stocking, just like daughters Sasha and Malia - told Winfrey about his favorite Christmas gift as a child. "I do remember the one time I met my father he was visiting during Christmas and he gave me a basketball," said the president. "And - the degree to which I came to love basketball - it wasn't until much later in life that I realized, 'Actually, he gave me that basketball.' I think there was some cause and effect there in terms of the degree to which I just ended up taking up the sport as a kid who didn't know his dad."

The Obamas' full White House sitdown with Winfrey is set to air Wednesday.

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. Hal Koffman

It is airing this Sunday 12/13 at 10 PM/ 9 PM central

December 11, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. Robin

BBBrooke,

Um, I don't care if you like Sarah Palin. I simply stated that the Liberals (and some angry republican women it seems) like to say disparaging about Sarah Palin's CHILDREN.

I didn't post a "dig". But as much as I don't like Obama's policies, his kids are as cute and can be and should be left alone.

December 11, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  3. Right wingnuts are as dumb as a woonsocket

December 11, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. annie against biased news

Never thought I would feel sorry for any dog that lived in the white house but you gotta pity this poor pooch.

December 11, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  5. Curtis

Hey can someone define "News" for me please??? I keep reading in the posts "is this news?" I think articles like this are great to read sometimes. We all know the world is in recession. Soldiers died in Irag, and unemployment is high. Do we really need to have it repeated all the time. Take a time out relax, spend some time with your family and try to make the world a better place.

December 11, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  6. Kevin in Ohio

Bo is a good dog. Its too bad he will only have four Christmases at the White House.

December 11, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Carmela, Longwood, Florida

Mr. President, may you, your wife, children, your dog and the rest of your family have a wonderful first Christmas as a President; and may God give you the wisdom to guide our country through the righth path. We love you and wish you and yours well during this holiday season and always.

December 11, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  8. Sniffit

"Hey! I thought the paid right wing nut bloggers were not paid for posting after 5 pm Eastern."

Actually, just like many of our jobs in the economy as a result of the Gopers, even their paid bloggers are sitting in sweatshops in China and India. Can't you tell from the broken barely coherent Engrish?

December 11, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"I don't really give 2 cents what the head douche says in the White House!"

That certainly explains why you're angry and ranting.

December 11, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  10. Lynne in CA

Robin–

Palin thrust her children into the spotlight including dragging her mortified pregnant teenager and sorry excuse for a boyfriend onto the national stage. Palin and all she represents is the height of hypocrisy. It is refreshing to have such a normal and natural family in our White House. Palin and the rest of the neocon wingnuts could take a lesson in parenting from the Obamas.

December 11, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"How lovely... Barry's dog gets a stocking but the nation gets spiraling unemployment"

You know, you're right, all those figures we've been seeing for the last couple months showing that the rate at which unemployment is growing has decreased and is slowly coming to a halt...and all those experts stating that we look to be making gains on that sometime in the next 6 months...that all is very accurately characterized as "spiralling." The only thing spiralling is the water as we flush your silly nonsense criticisms down the proverbial toilet.

December 11, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  12. lisa fleming

I wish I were a dog. They seem to get better care than people.

December 11, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  13. SocialismBad

Maybe the Obama's can send stockings to some of the millions of unemployed that are losing their homes and living in their cars or homeless shelters? Or maybe they could help serve Christmas dinner at a homeless shelter? They might as well experience first hand the affects of their failed policies.

December 11, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  14. ringer

My dog gets a stocking, too. And we celebrate 'holidays', not "Christmas"

December 11, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  15. Jane/Seattle

I am not impressed with Materialism anywhere! What about the Children of this World who are suffering so horribly, physically, emotionally, and spiritually? Who will fill their tummies and make them safe? As long as one among us is Suffering, we are all NOT Whole. It's a Spiritual thing, folks. Picture A World Paradise for this Holiday! My best to all. Jane aka Poet

December 11, 2009 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  16. Kate

I am so glad the the Obamas are in the White House. As a former Republican, I feel grateful we have someone who cares about this country. He inherited a terrible mess, with the economy that GW gave us, financial mess, and 2 wars. President Obama is trying hard to get us out. It will take time and we have to spend our way out of the recession, putting money back into the economy that GW and his buddies took out of it. God Bless the USA and President Obama. MERRY CHRISTMAS FIRST FAMILY.

December 11, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  17. Chandler

Anonymous has to call themselves that because they can't own up to the lies they are saying about the President. President Obama NEVER said you couldn't celebrate Christmas! My dear, it is time for you to stop listening to extremists and their interpretations of what the President says or does. Those people are quite creative, and very rarely accurate.

December 11, 2009 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. Anthony

Wow... I TRULY believe EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US needs to get LIVES, if we really took time out of our busy *cough* schedules to post a reply on a ticker about the President's dog getting a stocking.

I believe "Bless You, and Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays)" is the only response you shouldve really took your time out to write.

I am a proud American, but unfortunately, most other Americans make me utterly disgusted by their sense of entitlement and perpetually negative attitudes.

God Bless the rest of you.

December 11, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. Pat in Omaha

I'm a bit confused...help me understand why there are so many negative comments about the "lack of news" regarding this story? Yet the same people are exhilarated when a story about Ms.Palin is posted? She is not new worthy! The dog Bo is the "First Dog"...the dog Palin is not!

December 11, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. Anonymous

J.P: December 11th, 2009 5:18 pm ET

How lovely... Barry's dog gets a stocking but the nation gets spiraling unemployment, because Barry is too economically-illiterate to understand why businesses aren't hiring.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Oh, JP....How about businesses are not hiring because a lot of them are just plain greedy. They were supposed to have created jobs during the past eight years after the Bush tax cuts which continue to be in effect. Where are those jobs???

By the way, are you postponing Christmas or other Holiday celebrations? Did Bush ever? Why should President Obama act as if he is in jail? The problems he is dealing with are problems that began BEFORE he became President so get over yourself.

December 11, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  21. Ted

The Obama's are just a real family. Everything about them is great. I am happy he is our president.

December 11, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  22. Marchant

Wishing you a happy Christmas and enjoy the holidays with family and friends. I liked your concept about war and peace, which is very realistic approach..God bless you and your family always.

December 11, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  23. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

"First he (Obama) says the Christmas Tree is not a Christmas Tree but rather a Holiday Tree"

You moron, you do realize that the Christmas tree originated as a pagan symbol, to celebrate the winter solstice on the shortest day of the year which meant a Sun god(he/she had many different name through the ages) could use the shortest day to rest and renew. The use of the evergreen was to remind the worshipers of all the good things the rested Sun god could then grow.

Try Googling Puritans and Christmas before you start your Christmas tree rant and embarrass yourself on an international blog site.

December 11, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  24. Leo, New York

Merry Christmas, Bo. You're a nice dog! And probably the most handsome pet of the White House. Ever!!!

December 11, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  25. Chris in California

My goodness. Even a simple feel good story like this isn't off limits to the desperately hateful right who have NOTHING to do but be bitter and complain.

And by the way, any of you out there who have disparaging remarks about those of us who don't believe in "G"od or Jesus or any of the other invisible men take a hard look in the mirror and ask yourselves what a true Christian is. Hypocrites.

December 11, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |