December 11th, 2009
8 months ago

At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking

At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking.
At the White House, even Bo gets a stocking.

(CNN) – Santa won't forget the nation's first dog this Christmas, according to Michelle Obama.

In a special holiday interview, the first lady told Oprah Winfrey that Portuguese water dog Bo has a stocking, just like every other member of the Obama family. "Santa loves Bo too," she said.

President Obama - who has his own stocking, just like daughters Sasha and Malia - told Winfrey about his favorite Christmas gift as a child. "I do remember the one time I met my father he was visiting during Christmas and he gave me a basketball," said the president. "And - the degree to which I came to love basketball - it wasn't until much later in life that I realized, 'Actually, he gave me that basketball.' I think there was some cause and effect there in terms of the degree to which I just ended up taking up the sport as a kid who didn't know his dad."

The Obamas' full White House sitdown with Winfrey is set to air Wednesday.

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. Ryan, Denver

"Bo is a good dog. Its too bad he will only have four Christmases at the White House."

That might be a stretch considering Bo is more qualified to be president than any of the possible 2012 Republican canidates. But keep those warm xmas wishes of war, poverty, and corruption that we know all you GOPers seem to love.

December 11, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  2. louise

how come Bo wasn't in the family Christmas portrait?

December 11, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  3. Joan

Love reading about the gorgeous Obama family. Bo is a big suck wonder if he ever gets to sleep in the Presidential bed.

December 11, 2009 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  4. Barbara

I always give my dogs presents. I wrap them up in tissue paper to see if they can open them. I get to pick up a lot of tissue paper, but I have fun watching my "kids" open up their toy for the new year.

December 11, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  5. Keith in Austin

To the "Right Wingnuts are Dumb" poster:

Your immaturity is only exceeded by your ignorance! I am a 56 year old Veteran and successful businessman. Your hatefilled messages are naïve and cleary show that you are truly clueless. Hopefully when you grow up and realize what is occuring right in front of your nose, you'll wake up and see why fiscally responsible conservatism is desperately needed in our Country right now. There are way too many people like you expecting a free lunch. Your posts cleary convey what you're all about. Pitiful.

Merry Christmas!

December 11, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  6. TINA

Gee, I am unemployed and the Obamas seem to care more about feeding the dog than helping Americans.

December 11, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  7. Marie Laveaux

If Bo is anything like my cat, he'd rather play with the paper than the toys in the stocking. Nice to see a sweetness and light on here from the haters, especially the creep who calls himself "Anonymous. " You sound like a raving lunatic and should get some counseling or go talk to your minister, please.

December 11, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. terry,va

If I were Santa everyone in Obummie's family would get a gift in their stocking. Pearls for the first lady, dolls for the girls, doggie treats for Bo and a lump of coal for BHO. The coal wouldn't be a bad thing in this case. It would be a reminder that coal provides more than 50% of this nation's electricity. Obummie needs to stop his stupid cap and trade bill. Merry Christmas and when you light your tree remember where your power comes from.

December 11, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  9. Observant One

to Dave: I am not a Rebuplican and I voted for Obama and we can not even afford to hanging stockings this year as there is nothing to put in them. Victim of outsourcing

December 11, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  10. Greg, San Francisco, CA

To all the right wing knuckle draggers here like JP and cgillette369, is there anything you DON'T complain about?

December 11, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  11. GI Joe

Nice – now how about some food for US citizens' children and healthcare for their parents.

Regulate regulate regulate. Wall Street DOES NOT own this country.

Can anybody say full-fledged rebellion?

December 11, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. Donnatella

You republicans need to get a life, what the hell is wrong with you people, I think the dog is really cute.

December 11, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  13. wanda westhoff

Bo should have his own x-mas stocking. Merry Christmas to all of your family.

December 11, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  14. Steve

Gosh,

Lighten up, folks. You've got all next year to bash the Obamas and Bo.

December 11, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  15. Kathryn Stables

This is a joke. The Obama's celebrate Santa and not the true meaning of Jesus Christ..................duh what am I missing here only reason we celebrate Christmas . God our Father and his son was borrn on Christmas Day. The Wise Men came bearing gifts. We celebrate it as a family birtday. But ya know atheist and all others buy gifts. Our Gov'tment was founde on God to iradicate it for musliums and wicka ......................... I am so glad I believe in God and his son Jesus Christ.

December 11, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. Linda

Bo is soooooooo cute!!!

Bo--Enjoy your stay at the White House-–and the White House lawn as well .........Until your owners are evicted in 2012!!!!

December 11, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  17. Nancy

It is still nice to know that there are still people who have hate in their heart and now it's the dog that can't talk back. You people are pathetic that allow their feelings to be put at such low volume. People forget and get over your bad taste for the President. Even if Bo only get four years in the White House is nothing compared to you not even getting that far or even a chance to live there. Sorry for the bad love.

December 11, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  18. dan

It is so comforting to know that Bo will get a stocking, when millions of unemployed people in this country will get nothing.

December 11, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  19. Bren

Right Wingnuts are..............

"To the right wingnuts, the true meaning of Christmas is to go past a homeless shelter and laugh, "

Do you think it is better to show up at a fundraiser for the homeless in $700 shoes..........Just like Michelle did???

December 11, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. Stu- SW Florida

@ Anonymous:
    You're not just a little confused... you're a lot confused! I don't know where you get your information from but by virtue of your repeating it shows you're very stupid as well!
    Shut up, if you don't know what you're talking about. Then less people will know just how ignorant you truly are!

December 11, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  21. olivia

May God Bless the Obama Family always.

December 11, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  22. m smith

Nice human interest story. Much better than all the dumb stories about that bimbo palin, but i see the repos and wing nuts dont't care for this story either since it involves how ever indirectly the president. For these clowns I hope Bo lifts his leg on all of you. Merry Christmas all

December 11, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  23. TCM

Wow....I just love CNN's efforts to portray the Obamas as some sort of royalty; like something out of hollywood where the blind, ignorant masses are searching for a hero (haha...and look what got elected) anyway, what's next CNN? Going to measure the size of his turds?

December 11, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  24. M in Idaho

J.P. - Get off your high horse. Nobody has a crystal ball. I'm sick and tired of this "Oh, you'll be sorry, just you wait and see" mumbo jumbo. This is a nice story that gives a human face to our President. There's no need for you to spew your hate here.

December 11, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  25. TCM

hey dave – it's your president that claims it's not a Christian holiday, nor is this a Christian country...so it's ignorant liberals like you, who elected this fraud....and therefore you cannot blame the Republicans for your stupidity...you put a muslim in the White House, not me!

December 11, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |