December 12th, 2009
5 months ago

First lady challenges Iron Chefs

First Lady Michelle Obama challenged chefs on an upcoming episode of Iron Chef America.

Washington (CNN) – First Lady Michelle Obama challenged chefs from Iron Chef America to make 'garden fresh fare' in an upcoming special holiday installment of the Food Network show.

"Super Chef Battle," features Iron Chef Bobby Flay partnered with White House Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford competing against Iron Chef Mario Batali and Chef Emeril Lagasse.

In a preview of the special Comerford, who has been cooking for presidents since the Clinton administration, said the chefs were in "awe" of everything they saw at the White House.

The chefs were kept in the dark about most of the challenge, other than its special location inside 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

"We had no idea what was gonna be unveiled." Lagasse said. "I was kind of waiting for the chairman to mysteriously come out of the White House...and then all of the sudden the First Lady Mrs. Obama comes out and stunning– I mean absolutely striking."

Batali said, while it was exciting seeing the Rose Garden, peeking into the Oval Office and meeting the Obamas' dog Bo, the most exciting thing for him was the First Lady's attire.

"Most significantly what you'll notice is the fact that she's wearing what has previously been called 'Batali orange," he joked. " When I pointed it out to her I said, 'I have to tell you Mrs. Obama, up until today...this has always been referred to as Batali orange, but I think from today on we will call it 'Obama-Batali orange.'"
"I think she got a little kick," he added.

While part of the special, airing January 3 is from the White House, the actual battle is out of the show's Kitchen Stadium set.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Joe M

Is this really news?????? Give me a break from this bunch...

December 12, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  2. Norma Labno

112/12/09

I very much like everything that I know about that Michelle
    Obama has done as First Lady!

This may not be politically correct to say but, I think she
    looks absolutely stunning in the photograph promoting
    The Iron Chefs Challenge!

I'm sure there is much she is doing that I don't know about but
    planting a garden for fresh fruits and vegetables at The White
    House is "First Rate!"

I'm very proud and happy she is our First Lady!

"God Bless Michelle Obama and Her Family, Loved Ones, and All
    Who Surround Her With Good Will"

norma from nv

December 12, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  3. no longer a democrat

the best first lady we've ever had? you people need to get a grip.

they are not royalty!! they are public servants.

and this is NOT news

December 12, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  4. Preston kathy

Pwm the gop can never admit that mrs obama brings grace and makes people happy

December 12, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  5. Chris

It is so very ,very nice to see this kind of activity going on in the "People's House" The Obama family is just a breath of fresh air, and such a pleasure to follow.

December 12, 2009 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  6. Can't Take the Obama's Anymore

Are you kidding me....Foodnetwork this is going alittle to far....I for one will pass on this episode....enjoy Obamaites!, hope you can hold your dinner down after this PUFF piece.

December 12, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  7. Tony

MIchelle is such an inspirational figure. I truly admire her.

December 12, 2009 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  8. Preston kathy

Preston kathy mrs obama brings grace and joy tn the white house the gop party is mad because they were so phony and boreing

December 12, 2009 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  9. Emi

Thank you, Michelle, for reminding us that life can be fun, too!

December 12, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  10. Jerry

I think it's great that we have a Presidents wife that doesn't try to be above the people like the former ones did. I love my President and I'm proud to be an American. I served my country for 35 years. I wish I could have served under President Obama as well. God Bless them and God Bless the USA!

December 12, 2009 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  11. Anne

Boy some of you guys are really digging deep!

Let's see...someone thinks she's boring, yet takes the time to comment...someone doesn't like her outfit...someone thinks she can't cook and is upset that her family tries to set a good example by eating fresh vegetables...someone is mad because most of us like her...and someone with poor reading comprehension thinks she'll be allowed to win a contest she isn't even in.

I'm sure you haters can do better!

December 12, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  12. Joe M

She cant boil water...Where did she get that dress???? At a dollar store???

December 12, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |