December 12th, 2009
6 months ago

First lady challenges Iron Chefs

First Lady Michelle Obama challenged chefs on an upcoming episode of Iron Chef America.

Washington (CNN) – First Lady Michelle Obama challenged chefs from Iron Chef America to make 'garden fresh fare' in an upcoming special holiday installment of the Food Network show.

"Super Chef Battle," features Iron Chef Bobby Flay partnered with White House Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford competing against Iron Chef Mario Batali and Chef Emeril Lagasse.

In a preview of the special Comerford, who has been cooking for presidents since the Clinton administration, said the chefs were in "awe" of everything they saw at the White House.

The chefs were kept in the dark about most of the challenge, other than its special location inside 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

"We had no idea what was gonna be unveiled." Lagasse said. "I was kind of waiting for the chairman to mysteriously come out of the White House...and then all of the sudden the First Lady Mrs. Obama comes out and stunning– I mean absolutely striking."

Batali said, while it was exciting seeing the Rose Garden, peeking into the Oval Office and meeting the Obamas' dog Bo, the most exciting thing for him was the First Lady's attire.

"Most significantly what you'll notice is the fact that she's wearing what has previously been called 'Batali orange," he joked. " When I pointed it out to her I said, 'I have to tell you Mrs. Obama, up until today...this has always been referred to as Batali orange, but I think from today on we will call it 'Obama-Batali orange.'"
"I think she got a little kick," he added.

While part of the special, airing January 3 is from the White House, the actual battle is out of the show's Kitchen Stadium set.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Fame Ho

This woman is a bore.

December 12, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  2. Fitz in Texas

Didn't I read somewhere that Michelle Obama was a real fashion plate.....right on up there with Jackie O. The outfit she has on in this pic reminds me of something Mrs. Cleaver would wear.

December 12, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. No more fluff Obama news

Another fluff piece to take the attention away from the democrats passing an enormous spending bill, Obama attending the joke of an environmental conference, SEIU's influence on heathcare and the fact that Obama's cabinet is full of boneheads (Holder having the terrorist trials in NY....).

The Obamas are loved by the media (and themselves), but the rest of us are tired of their hot air.

December 12, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  4. dodandodan

MIchelle Obama must be bored stiff pretending to be the homebody she never been. Is there somehting newsworthy about her encouraging people to eat fresh food? We had this fresh food revolution in the 70's when canned vegetables started to take a back seat to fresh vegetables.

FIND SOMEHTING USEFUL TO DO ALREADY.

December 12, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. MopIt

I am such a fan of cooking! OMG! I can not WAIT to see the episode! She is such a charismatic person, she is undoubtedly the best first lady we have EVER have. I would venture to say, she is the FIRST First Lady! Thank God for her contributions to society!

December 12, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. StingyBee

Of course, they wil let her win.

December 12, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  7. WONDERFUL!!!

I cannot wait to see this show. I am in awe of the openness of the First Couple. I love the Food Network and I love my President! What a great idea for a great show. They have been a breath of fresh air. I know it will be a wonderful show!!!! I know Michelle is a stunning woman, and smart as well! Be blessed Obama family!

December 12, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  8. oh please

I love how Mrs. Obama is all the sudden a domestic goddess since she got into the white house. Just like Laura Bush.

December 12, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. Len Smith

We all have a lot to be thankful for with the President and First Lady Obama in the White House. It is so refreshing to see a leader and his wife that really think about the people of this great country.

December 12, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. once upon a horse

what does THIS have to do with Sarah Palin??? Come on CNN you're slipping here!

December 12, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. CNN afraid of a liberal post

Gee Emeril is there. Being such a fan of Rush I didn't think he would come to the White House. I love Food Network and Flay and Mario...I'll love watching this. And to the poster that says Michelle Obama is a bore. We didn't ask you to watch her. Maybe you would like robot Coulter who is made over with female parts.

December 12, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. Robert

She's pretty down to earth and very genuine. A great asset to the country..

December 12, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  13. Leigh

No wonder they have security problems in the White House – ie, the party crashers. The Obamas are clearly much more worried about maximizing media ops than they are about little things like keeping the White House secure. Do they REALLY have nothing better to do? They get more embarrassing every day.

December 12, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  14. Angie

Yesssssssssss, I love this show and is about time, they have people of color, and none of less than the FIRST LADY !!! I love all of the chefs,

well, slowly but surely we are making progress..

Cant wait to see this show......

By the way Mrs. Obama looks just beautiful, and for those people who keep being disrespectul, go find a cooking job!!

December 12, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  15. Joe Fattal

And from the First Lady, fry chitterlings a la maison blanche. Now that's a dish.

December 12, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  16. Humor

I like the idea of different dishes for the holidays, as long as they don't turn into a lot of expensive and strange items going into a dish. Though the Batali comment is silly, it is a cooking show, not Project Runway and its spin offs.

December 12, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  17. JD

_____Peace to all the Obama haters____

December 12, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  18. Val, NYC

Really cool. I love to watch Iron Chef America (loved the original show more) but I will certainly tune in.

December 12, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  19. itsmiadear

Don't these two have more important things to do than seek pop culture opportunities???

December 12, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  20. sara

No doubt in my mine that this Lady KNOWS how to stretch a dollar and eat healthy. Now some of those will "whine" about THAT, after they try and defeat healthcare reform. Sad nation.

December 12, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  21. sara

I will be comfy to watch the show. Wonderful! Oh, if you so tired of President Obama and the First Lady.....you'll be better off moving to "your" own island for WHILE.

December 12, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  22. Sharon TN.

I adore Michelle Obama, she reminded you that fresh veggies are good and good for you. Working in a garden brings exercise and the rewards of your own food, if you are not up to the challenge visit a produce market. I don't have a problem with canned veggies, but of course I prefer "fresh" in season.
    About her clothing it doesn't pay to make remarks remember Mrs. Raegan waltzed in a dress that had been scissor cut in rags for all to see. Her questions was, is this the way you want a first lady to dress?
    I think Michelle looks fabulous in bright pink, reds, orange, and lime green, her skin color matches these colors. I like it that she is not a snob, and hides like she's too good to be seen. It takes a talent to always be on display. President Obama is screened just taking his kids for ice-cream, this would hit a raw nerve with me. Don't you value privacy just once in a while? I bet Michelle is a good cook, after all she was not always in the white house. I hope she enjoys her time there, as I would not like that someone is always judging what I say, what I wear, what I think, it would clearly drive me up the wall. She rules with me, and I admire that she can take it all in stride. LOL.

December 12, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  23. rachel

I agree with whoever said she must be bored out of her mind. Somebody give her a cause please.

December 12, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  24. Tina

Another reason not to watch the Food Network. Michele Obama is such a bore who obviously doesn't have anything meaningful to do. What with her Mrs. Cleaver get up?

December 12, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. hawkeye

Wow, some really nasty, negative, ignorant posts from those who absolutely hate the President and his wife. How 'bout taking your own advice: FIND SOMEHTING USEFUL TO DO ALREADY.

December 12, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |