December 12th, 2009
7 months ago

First lady challenges Iron Chefs

First Lady Michelle Obama challenged chefs on an upcoming episode of Iron Chef America.

Washington (CNN) – First Lady Michelle Obama challenged chefs from Iron Chef America to make 'garden fresh fare' in an upcoming special holiday installment of the Food Network show.

"Super Chef Battle," features Iron Chef Bobby Flay partnered with White House Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford competing against Iron Chef Mario Batali and Chef Emeril Lagasse.

In a preview of the special Comerford, who has been cooking for presidents since the Clinton administration, said the chefs were in "awe" of everything they saw at the White House.

The chefs were kept in the dark about most of the challenge, other than its special location inside 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

"We had no idea what was gonna be unveiled." Lagasse said. "I was kind of waiting for the chairman to mysteriously come out of the White House...and then all of the sudden the First Lady Mrs. Obama comes out and stunning– I mean absolutely striking."

Batali said, while it was exciting seeing the Rose Garden, peeking into the Oval Office and meeting the Obamas' dog Bo, the most exciting thing for him was the First Lady's attire.

"Most significantly what you'll notice is the fact that she's wearing what has previously been called 'Batali orange," he joked. " When I pointed it out to her I said, 'I have to tell you Mrs. Obama, up until today...this has always been referred to as Batali orange, but I think from today on we will call it 'Obama-Batali orange.'"
"I think she got a little kick," he added.

While part of the special, airing January 3 is from the White House, the actual battle is out of the show's Kitchen Stadium set.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Chipster

StingyBee and oh Please,
    I believe you misunderstood the article. It is the White House Chef, not the First Lady, who will be competing for the Iron Chef title.

Did I miss something? Is there really anything so terrible about promoting fresh vegetables and good nutrition?

December 12, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  2. suzi

Refreshing and so down to earth Mrs Obama!. I have marked my calendar to see how the chefs respond to the challenge of the secret ingredient unveiled.

December 12, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  3. reminds me of something

you critics are just jelous that they thought of it first

it is gonna be a tough rest of the term and after he is elected again, and he will be, you all are gonna have another four years to feel slighted... too bad you can't help to right the U.S. instead of always say 'no', it makes it harder on those of us trying to bring the economy back from Bush's recession, but we will do it with our with out you, but with out you it will take longer and be more difficult

why not try to help instead of looking for bad things to write

December 12, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  4. Gerry NH

This is not news. This should be in the entertainment section. What is the WH trying to coover-up now?

December 12, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  5. HUGO

She should whip up some Aunt Jemimah pancakes....

December 12, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  6. Realist

Love the fact that the First Lady absolutely drives the wingnut crowd insane. Keep doing what you are, Michelle Obama. We LOVE you, what you do, AND the effect you have on the angry extremist conservatives.

December 12, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  7. Tanja

dodandodan...said..."FIND SOMEHTING USEFUL TO DO ALREADY."

She did...she is raising her children and giving back to her community.

Why don't you find something usefull instead of picking on people you don't even know!~

December 12, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  8. Jamey Columbus

Michelle, needs to be more like Hillary and less like Laura... if we wanted the Bushes... there was more.

December 12, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  9. GI Joe

You old white republicans jealous much? Beats the heck out of the white woman that took McCain away from his crippled wife with her daddy's money and promises of a political career.

Shame shame shame. Jealousy is an evil monster.

December 12, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  10. Don in Grand Rapids, Mi

I think I'm going to throwup! Where the H has this writer been for the past 11 months? Openness, far from that !

December 12th, 2009 4:39 pm ET

"I cannot wait to see this show. I am in awe of the openness of the First Couple. I love the Food Network and I love my President! What a great idea for a great show. They have been a breath of fresh air. I know it will be a wonderful show!!!! I know Michelle is a stunning woman, and smart as well! Be blessed Obama family"

December 12, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  11. DebMc

Michelle Obama = the cat's meow :)

December 12, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  12. HUGO

It will be the first time in her life that she can be Proud of her cooking...

December 12, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. Independant Vet

It is getting very , out right boring , First they bought there way into the white house. Show very little Patrotism , do not care aboutg our National Anthem , ( Stood at FT> HOOD holding his crotch , while other salute or covered there heart. Now we have a Muslim Stamp coming out to paste on your letters. Now they are going to tell Us when to die , an when an how to find some dead rat eat . . And we are broke over Obamanomics.
    I still say I am glad to be American , and I am Free.
    But I wish I were a DOG an Obama was a Tree.

December 12, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  14. Rose

Garden fresh fare....in December? Did it occur to the First Lady that "garden fresh" produce is being flown in from South America this time of year? Oh, the carbon footprint....
    That's not consistent with traditional foodways - which rely heavily on pantry products during the winter - or the budgets of most Americans. It reminds me of the multiple cars full of Secret Service and entourage that accompanied her to the new farmers market so she could be an example of paying $10 a pound for potatoes.

December 12, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  15. Donna

speak for yourself–I don't find them one bit boring. They are interesting, engaged, and original.

December 12, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Doesn't she know don't eat healthy food. Most want fried, fried, fried and something to eat while on the couch. This might be good intentioned but fat a.... Americans will eat junk food until it comes out of their ears.

December 12, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  17. Elaine Neu of Chicago

I am a fan of the food network and look forward to this challenge. Great team of Iron Chefs.

Michelle Obama is a beautiful person and has a difficult role as the first lady.

December 12, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  18. Ron Mexico

ooooooooooooo...i'm getting tingles up my leg....hahahahhahahaha...

December 12, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  19. Tone

If you have something negative to say about this article or the first lady, you really need to examine yourself. I absolutely hated Bush but, I judged Laura Bush as her own person. I did and still do admire her (Laura Bush) and that is coming from a leaf licking, tree hugging liberal. I think that people have let those who profit from hate (FOX, MSNBC, Limbaugh, Air America) divide us as a country. I love my country and want to see it succeed. I know people on the Right love this country and want to see it succeed. We should all start with that basis of knowledge and debate how to be successful not question what's in the hearts of our fellow brethren.

December 12, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  20. d-mac

Don't hate. Appreciate! Fame Ho is a ho! lol Michelle Obama represents class. It is a great day to be an African American. Republicans are trash!

December 12, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  21. Keith in Austin

Incredibly boring CNN!

December 12, 2009 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  22. Roger

The Obamas are surely feeling the pain of Main Street. It is hypocritical to spend taxpayers money on lavish parties and living style while those who pay the bills suffer. AMERICA WAKEUP!!!

December 12, 2009 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  23. 38% of blacks are unemployed......

and Michelle Obama is planning sumptuous dinners......what's wrong with this picture?????

December 12, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  24. cool girl 14

i think that michelle can cook better than a chef! now if her husband can takeover the world she can take over a chef.i think that her dress iz A-W-S-O-M-E!!! she sets wonderfu examples and so does obama! keep rocking on michelle and obama!!!

December 12, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  25. Woonsocket

Everyday, arms and teats.

December 12, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |