December 12th, 2009
3 months ago

Palin pokes fun at William Shatner

Palin made a surprise appearance on The Tonight Show Friday.
Palin made a surprise appearance on The Tonight Show Friday.

(CNN)– Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin made an appearance Friday night on The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, where she poked some fun at William Shatner.

Earlier this year, the actor made fun of Palin by reading some of her tweets during an appearance on The Tonight Show. Friday, Shatner continued by reading excerpts from her book "Going Rogue."

"I always remind people from outside of our state right that there is plenty of room for Alaska's animals. Right next to the mashed potatoes," Shatner read.

Then, Palin surprised the audience with her appearance and decided it was time for some payback.

"I think it's appropriate that I read a few choice excerpts from Mr. Shatner's autobiography," Palin declared. "I attended my first Star Trek convention in November 1975. The money they offered me to attend this convention was… do I dare? Yes, I do. Out of this world."

According to an aide traveling with Palin, she mingled with other guests including Tony Bennett and Zack Braff after her appearance, and wore the red jacket from her book cover for the last time.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. some guy in New Hampshire

Sarah clips her toenails! Sarah has green beans for supper! Glad CNN is keeping us all up to date with today's top stories.

December 12, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. saftgek

Again, Ms. Palin exposes the person she really is. "Well, he did it first!" is a comment and response I expect from a elementary-age child on a playground.

As is consistent, Ms. Palin practices a "Ready, Fire, Aim" approach to using her mouth. This sad, pitiful person abounds in nonsensical, uniformed diatribes. Sadly, there are so many people in the U.S. who choose to use their emotions when a brain is really needed. This is why Ms. Palin maintains her seeming popularity.

How sad for our country. Ms. Palin really needs a benefactor of some sort who will find an invisible role for her. Her annoyance quotent is off the chart.

December 12, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. John in Tampa

Tricky ground for Sarah Palin. It's a bit close to her being an alien herself.

December 12, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  4. Angela

This is the best comeback Sarah Palin has? Well, we now know the quitter from Alaska is as dense as she seems.

December 12, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. KK

All Palin does is shows up unexpected so no one can ask her questions and then hides behind Facebook and Twitter.

December 12, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. LouBear

It was hilarious. The audience sounded like they were delighted to see her. Good sports all around. (I imagine we will soon be seeing the usual attacks on the Governor on this site as generally happens on any article about Palin. Oh, well, but it does get tiresome.)

December 12, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Sam I Am

Hmmmmm..... So, let me get this straight. Sarah "Show Me The Money" is making fun of someone else accepting money to make an appearance? Every time I think Sarah can't get any dumber, she proves me wrong. I'm sure she'll get all the votes from the nation's trailer parks the next time she runs for office.

December 12, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  8. Elizabeth

God help us if this woman is really serious about running for president in 2012. I have nightmares about it.

December 12, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  9. Ruty

Pathetic woman. Go home and take care of your baby and the rest of your family. You are a disgrace to mothers everywhere.

December 12, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  10. Tony in Maine

Enough with the Palin puffery already.

The woman is ftrailer trash and the media treats her like she's actually relevant

December 12, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. Gary

How much does the queen of sleeze give cnn to keep her in the news every day.Its getting harder and harder to see any difference between fox and cnn.

December 12, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  12. charlie in Maine

Okay Sarah,

When it was just you making a fool of yourself that was one thing but making fun of Capt. James T. Kirk.....well you have crossed the line here.

You watch it missy....

December 12, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  13. bob in LA

So She proved that his book was written in sentence form where her's is writtne in.. "Sarah speak".
    Sounds like he proved his point.

December 12, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  14. dotty

When will it end? Perhaps if she goes home to take care of her family? In my crowd of elders, we're all sick of seeing her - and certainly won't buy her book! (I didn't know she could write or express herself that well.)

December 12, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. Marco in AZ

How appropriate, since she is such a Space Cadet....

December 12, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  16. Marie MD

It continues to amaze me that this woman continues to grab the attention of people. BTW – the joke, not funny! Sorry bimbette. Guess you have to go back to "politics" or whatever it is they call what you are doing. Making fun of killing animals from helicopters is NOT funny at all. You freakin witch! Or are you still a witch. I keep forgetting whether it was exorcised out of you before or after the secession talk.
    conan is NOT funny and his ratings are the lowest of the low. This is, obviously, not going to help him.
    Many people gave up on leno after he had limberger on his show.

December 12, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  17. Liz

She's good a poking fun at others....but when they do it back, she's like every other Republican on earth, they get "offended" and demand an apology. It's just the GOP way today!

December 12, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  18. Jim

I made a surprise visit to the mall today for some Christmas shopping but CNN didn't report on it. I'm crushed!!

December 12, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  19. Pat

How much more despicable can this woman be than to make a statement like that in her book (which I didn't buy). She's a real sicko!

December 12, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  20. jts

Please run for POTUS Sarah. I pray that you do because that will surely cement an Obama victory in 2012. The reason's that so many Republicans/conservatives support you are all of the reasons that the true majority of Americans reject you. Please continue to make your bid for the nomination and secure your power and position within the Republican party. The fact that you only speak to or want to represent "some" people of the USA (the true Americans) shows that you do not want to improve the lives of all people of the USA. Those of us who you have no interest to appeal to and have made no substitantive outreach to, know your actions speak even louder than your words. And we can only hope that the Republican party continues to be hijacked by your efforts to fill your coffers with the party as your vehicle. Goodluck Sarah, hopefully the GOP nominee for POTUS '12.

December 12, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  21. Russ in Benton

I don't care for Sarah Palin's lack of knowledge, but she did great on Conan. Comedy has always been her strongest fort.

December 12, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. Del

No one cares! You are in this for the money! That's why you quit your job as governor of Alaska: you were not getting paid enough money for that job! Good luck to you mame. Hope to not hear from you again for a long time, maybe bout 20 years or so!

December 12, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  23. Greg Ebert

There's plenty of room in the history books for you, Sarah, right next to Dan Quayle.

December 12, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  24. Lou

Who really cares?

December 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  25. quieteye

Commercial media (news) cow bells
    britney spears...
    paris hilton....
    sarah (don’t pay attention to climate change) palin...

December 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |