December 14th, 2009
11 months ago

Hadassah Lieberman under attack over industry ties

Hadassah Lieberman is under attack over industry ties.
Hadassah Lieberman is under attack over industry ties.

Washington (CNN) - Sen. Joe Lieberman – whose opposition to a public insurance option has drawn outrage from liberal groups for months – is used to finding himself in progressive crosshairs.

Now it's his wife's turn.

Activists are setting their sights on Hadassah Lieberman, launching a celebrity-studded petition drive to convince the nation's largest breast cancer non-profit to end the Connecticut senator's wife role as a spokeswoman.

The move to pressure the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation came the same day Lieberman's husband angered Democrats by announcing that he would not support an expansion of Medicare to cover individuals under the age of 55. Organizers did not point to that decision, instead citing Hadassah Lieberman's own ties to the health care industry.

Lieberman has worked as a consultant for companies including Pfizer and ALCO.

"We are asking Ellen DeGeneres, Christie Brinkley and other high-profile celebrities who are associated with Komen to demand that no more money raised for cancer treatment be given to Hadassah Lieberman or any other ex-Pharma/Insurance strategists," said Jane Hamsher, founder of the Firedoglake blog.

(Updated after the jump with statement from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation)

CNN has received the following statement from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation:

Hadassah Lieberman is an important and valued Global Ambassador for Susan G. Komen for the Cure. As a Global Ambassador, Ms. Lieberman is focused on helping us reach out and educate women outside our borders about breast cancer, sharing our knowledge and experience in a culturally sensitive way that is making a real impact on the lives of women across the globe. We have every intention of continuing our relationship with Ms. Lieberman in our mutual pursuit of a world without breast cancer.

Updated: 5:58 p.m.

Filed under: Popular Posts
  1. JOE from MO

Liberals in action! They have the power (MONEY) and will attack everyone that disagrees with them.

December 14, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. Roberta Brooks

I never liked Lieberman, and I'm Jewish. There is a reason why he lost the Democratic primary for Senator. The people in Connecticut knew the true Lieberman when they refused to vote for him during the last primary for US Senator. He cares only for himself and not for the people he represents. I think it's time that the Democrats mount an all out effort to get rid of this guy in 2012. Where do I send my donation?

December 14, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  3. Disappointed Anon.

Her husband has no shame and no conscience, so why should she? You complainers are asking too much. So they're getting it while the getting is good, because come next election Lieberman will be assigned to the garbage dump of history

December 14, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  4. Bob

You cannot seriously consider yourself an advocate for the health of your nation's people unless you support a well funded system of public health care.

Seriously, as a Canadian, its sad to see the USA acting like some 3rd rate developing nation.

December 14, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  5. Razorback

Yeah, because you wouldn't want anybody who ever worked for an insurance company or any other for-profit organization to represent or otherwise work for breast cancer research. Morons. Why don't you let the Komen organization and organizations like it do their job-research-instead of dragging them down in political infighting?

December 14, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. Jim in Phoenix

This reminds me of when Senator Graham of Texas snuck through legislation deregulating swap funds, which allowed Enron to further hose its shareholders. Then, right afterward Graham's wife went to work for Enron making close to a million a year. I wonder how often relatives of these sleezy politicians reap the benefits of their deals with the devil?

December 14, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  7. Larry-Hazleton, Pa

If I understand this story – Mrs Lieberman is paid to work for this organization and her Husband is in bed with the Insurance Companies in Ct that control medical care to the people of Ct – Should this be the facts then of the Liebermans need to be out of there jobs, the sooner the better. Mr Liberman is a disgrace to the voters of Ct who in polling have said that this is what they want him to – vote for health care reform with a public option. If I read the numbers correctly it is 60+% in favor of the public option. But, it seems that Lieberman only listens to his insurance company bosses and not the people that elected him – they should have known what a snake he was when they elcted him as a independant.

December 14, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  8. barbara

Wow...no surprise that the most self-serving man in the senate should be married to a self-serving woman.
    They are dispicable people...
    As a nurse and concerned citizen I will do my best to channel any
    donations away from Komen... I hope others will follow... I would also hope that voters recognize Lieberman for the flatulant , ass that he is and never cast a vote for him in any party he identifies with.
    I am so sad that he should be the deal breaker to help Americans
    have decent health care... shame on the Liebermans!

December 14, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. Debra

I say the members of congress take no insurance until all americans have it.

December 14, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  10. Bill or Vin from Philly

Typical it's all about MONEY for the Lieberman's the working uninsured could lose everything because of lack of health insurance Joe & Hadassah would not care

December 14, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  11. Monrob

I hate, really hate these two.

December 14, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  12. Dan

I hope Leiberman and his wife do get discouraged and keep fighting this blasted, onerous, high tax-incentive, ridiculous and worthless health plan proposed in the senate and in the house. The only thing these bills will do is banrupt the country, raise taxes, and promote government interference in our health care–we will be nothing but socialists with no beneficial changes. Enough!

December 14, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  13. Doug-Alaska

The Political Correctness crowd is at it again with their "my way or the highway..." tactics. You guys really give me a pain in the rear. The next time I meet up with one of you, I'm going to splash some Preparation H on you and see if you shrink.

December 14, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  14. biggamble

Isn't it kind of a big risk to turn the Komen foundation into a political partisan? Conservatives get breast cancer too.

December 14, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  15. chill

Kind of silly to expect people working for a breast cancer organization to not have some ties to the healthcare industry. As for Joe, I'm beginning to wonder what the point of caucusing with the Democrats really is. How is he different than having a Republican in that slot? Has he supported ANYTHING?

December 14, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  16. Jane/Seattle

This is nothing short of absolute absurdity! Go Jane Hamsher! We needd to rid our government of all of these self-serving people who corrupt this system!

December 14, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  17. Matt

Liberals, I'm lost as to what her husbands' political opinions have to do with Hadassah's being a spokeswoman for Komen. In regards to Medicare, at 55 you should still be working. Statistically, you have 25+ years to live, for crying out loud! Do you think you can just not work for 30 years? Get insurance through your employer. Oh, your employer happens to be one that doesn't offer health insurance? Maybe you should ask Big Gov't to stop taxing them into oblivion.

December 14, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  18. Kai Bolger

Is she EMPLOYED – i.e., is a PAID "spokesperson" – for the Komen Foundation while her husband works against the interests of women who need mammography and treatment for cancer? The Komen foundation has some nerve giving money raised from donors – who think they are fighting for women's health – to a paid flak for Big Pharma. They should get her off the payroll immediately. If she wants to help, let her volunteer like so many other women who are actually committed to the cause rather than committed to lining their own pockets. Disgusting!!

December 14, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. Dodie ~ California

Having your wife’s profession based in the private sector may present a conflict of interest. I would like the see Congress employees receiving the same choices in healthcare as most Americans. No more doctors’ medical visits at work etc. After all, how many Americans have their MD visit them at work because they have indigestion? I have worked my entire life and I am very tired of the ‘select privileged’ few making decisions for the rest of us when it does not pertain to them. This format needs to be addressed and changed!

December 14, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. popegregory

She should be forced out. She is living with a man who is below reproach.

She and Joe should stop going to stragety meetings on how to stop health care. Take the time and go to the funerals of the people's funerals they are killing with anti health care stand.

December 14, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. Jim

Look, you want to go at Lieberman, I am all for it. But don't take a run at his wife. She's doing work to represent the Susan G. Komen foundation. As someone who has had 2 women in my life affected by breast cancer, I say, let her keep working for the foundation. As for Joe, he's got to go...

December 14, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  22. Rich Anderson

The Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation needs to be apolitical over this. Personally for me, the day they end Mrs. Lieberman's role as a spokeswoman for them is the day I stop participating in their marches and fundraising efforts – I'll find other ways to support the fight against breast cancer.

December 14, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  23. George

Is she on the take just like her husband is? He is a disgrace to America. So is she if she agrees with the creep!!!!

December 14, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |