December 15th, 2009
8 months ago

Lieberman on party switch: 'All options are open'

Washington (CNN) - Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman told CNN Tuesday that he has not ruled out running as a Republican in 2012.

Lieberman told CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash Tuesday that the move remained a legitimate, if unlikely, option. "I don't know what I'll run as," he said. "I like being an independent. So that's definitely a possibility. But I'd say all options are open….

"It's unlikely I'd run as a Republican, but I wouldn't foreclose any possibility. I think the more likely thing is that I'd run as an independent because that's what I am."

He also denied that a decision on whether to caucus with Republicans depended on which party was in the majority: "Well, no. It depends on where I am. That's all hypothetical. I'm just happy to be where I am. I'm grateful I got reelected in '06, and I'm going to try to do the best I can every day.

"I've reached the stage in my career where I'm not measuring every step I take based on how it's going to affect the next election. I think if you do that you end up compromising the quality of your service."

"In this very polarized time in our politics, if you take a stand, a bunch of people will think you've done something great and a bunch of people will think you've done something awful. You've got to decide, I've got to decide that I've done the best I could to do what's right and best for my country and my state. And that's what I feel I'm doing on health care reform."

Related: Lieberman moving towards a 'yes' vote on health care reform

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Lieberman • Popular Posts
  1. Liz

He is already a Republican, he just knows that admitting it will keep him from being elected.

December 16, 2009 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  2. badcyclist

Senator Lieberman should consider starting a third party– the Dirty Weasel Party.

Whatever happens, I hope that he pays a steep, karmic price for single-handedly torpedoing prospects for meaningful health care reform this term.

Hopefully, Democrats can undo at least some of the damage he has caused during the reconciliation process, assuming that the Senate passes a health care bill.

December 16, 2009 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  3. victim of the false prophet OBAMA

SPECIAL NOTICE for clueless Lieberman-WE DO NOT WANT YOU or SPECTER or SNOWE or OBAMA

December 16, 2009 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  4. Rob from Texas

This guy is unreal, he's just going to go where he thinks he can get the most votes. He's the lowest of the low when it comes to Politicians for this very reason.

December 16, 2009 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  5. bobbymcgee

It's very unfortunate the Democrats EVER let this guy back into the caucus!!! He is LOVING all of the attention he is getting and is nothing but T R O U B L E!!! He and Sara Palin should team up!! They are like the Tin Man - IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN!!!!!

December 16, 2009 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  6. Givonna, New Orleans

Someone should kick Joe Lieberman off the Democratic Caucus when this is over. He is an embarrassment to himself, and should not be allowed to play chicken with the country. What ever happened to him? He was such a respectable guy at one point.

December 16, 2009 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  7. Preston kathy

pkm joe will do what is good for joe i hope he does join the gop a another gop losser

December 16, 2009 01:05 am at 1:05 am |