December 15th, 2009
7 months ago

Lieberman on party switch: 'All options are open'

Washington (CNN) - Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman told CNN Tuesday that he has not ruled out running as a Republican in 2012.

Lieberman told CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash Tuesday that the move remained a legitimate, if unlikely, option. "I don't know what I'll run as," he said. "I like being an independent. So that's definitely a possibility. But I'd say all options are open….

"It's unlikely I'd run as a Republican, but I wouldn't foreclose any possibility. I think the more likely thing is that I'd run as an independent because that's what I am."

He also denied that a decision on whether to caucus with Republicans depended on which party was in the majority: "Well, no. It depends on where I am. That's all hypothetical. I'm just happy to be where I am. I'm grateful I got reelected in '06, and I'm going to try to do the best I can every day.

"I've reached the stage in my career where I'm not measuring every step I take based on how it's going to affect the next election. I think if you do that you end up compromising the quality of your service."

"In this very polarized time in our politics, if you take a stand, a bunch of people will think you've done something great and a bunch of people will think you've done something awful. You've got to decide, I've got to decide that I've done the best I could to do what's right and best for my country and my state. And that's what I feel I'm doing on health care reform."

Related: Lieberman moving towards a 'yes' vote on health care reform

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Lieberman • Popular Posts
  1. Mike in Dallas

There would never be a more appropriate time for using the old saying "Good riddance".

December 15, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  2. Henry

Joe is just a plain loser.

December 15, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  3. nicole meek

I as a Republican DON"T want him! Just as so many libs joined the Gop after Reagen won so as to have an R behind their name in order to get elected they were no different and just a bunch of trojan horses. Those types have done such eggegious harm to my party ever since. Joe If you can't stand on principles, history and allegience to our constitution...we don't want you...nikki meek

December 15, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  4. Tina

2008:”We are the ones we’ve been waiting for!!”

2009:”Can I just Golf?”

December 15, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  5. Mary

Seems to me Senator Lieberman only cares about himself. He will caucus with whoever has the majority?? What does that tell you! Joe is all about himself and could care less about the American people.

He does not have to worry about where his next mean is going to come from, how to pay for healthcare, or where is he going to stay at night!!

December 15, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  6. Gary, Hunt Valley, Md.

go ahead and run Joe. there's always room for one more bland, whiny guy with no ideas or charisma in the republican party, as it wanders through the desert looking for its identity. you'll fit right in. oh, and you have about a 1 in 500 chance of winning the nomination.

December 15, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  7. Ron

Joe Lieberman – How refreshing to have a politician more interested in his country. I am an independent for the reason of not having party affiliation, not having to make my decisions along party lines.

Mr Lieberman, you have my respect as a great patriot and gentleman.

Politicians on both sides of the aisle could benefit by example.

December 15, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  8. Bunrath

What state is it again keeps re-electing Joe Lieberman to the Senate? Is that the best person this state come up with to represent them in DC and the nation?

December 15, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  9. gl

End of story this man is a Republicans and prove it to us last year.

December 15, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  10. EZ

Joe Lieberman is a SNAKE. Democrats need to kick this fool to the curb and strip him of all his powers.

Let him slither over to the GOP side, they can HAVE his worthless butt.

Voters are going to vote him OUT anyways, so his days are numbered.

December 15, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  11. Palpatine must go

Call yourself whatever you want, Palpatine. Nobody cares. November 6, 2012 is Judgement Day.

Between now and then, the Democrats need to (1) realize that Palpatine will never stand with the Democrats, and therefore, (2) they need to grow a pair and boot this turncoat out of their caucus.

December 15, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  12. PAUL

Lieberman needs to get the heck out....he's lost it!

December 15, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  13. A different George W.

Otherwise known as AN OPPORTUNIST!

December 15, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  14. Obama-Mama

He should run as a lying yellow belly lizard...What a maroon

December 15, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  15. Adalbert

If any one is willing to vote for this scumbag, please let it be the republicans.

December 15, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  16. www.circleparkforum.com

By all means, Joe.

Run as a Republican.

In fact, please allow me to hold the door for you as you exit the Senate Democratic Caucus.

First, you screw over the Democratic Caucus and the American people by stepping all over real health care reform.

Now you say you're open to running as a Republican.

Senator Reid, what more does this child have to do before you'll take action to take away his committee chairmanship?

December 15, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  17. renobill

I wish he would join the Repukes. I'd feel a lot better about being a Liberal with him out of the Democratic party. But this snake will go where he figures his best chance of reelection is.

December 15, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. Art Black

I thought Liberman already was a Republican....

December 15, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  19. Jim

Finally Senator Liarmann, prostitician for the healthcare industry, will be showing his true colors. Good riddance and take some of the other Blue Dogs like Nelson and the female senator from Arkansas with you..

December 15, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  20. Mike Dallas

You had better run as a con, because CT can run the anti-Christ against you and he/she will still get my donations.

December 15, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  21. Allen

Lieberman needs to go. First he's Democrat. Now he's an Independent. Next, he'll be a Republican...if that will get him re-elected. He will decide after the next round of polls. He brings new meaning to the term "Flip Flopping!"

Joe needs to go and his wife and their Insurance Company connections need to be investigated while he's on his way to the door.

Don't go away mad Joe...Just Go AWAY!

December 15, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  22. Carlos Montes Sr.

He will be staying independent and He will keep His job as home land security chair, nobody will dare bring the most powerfull lobby in Washington on them, He was put on that job by the Israel lobby as to keep there eyes on what is happening on our shores. As Him not supporting health reform, how can he not support His wife on Her pro insurance since She is a lobbyist for them.

December 15, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  23. Tony in Maine

Dear Joe,

It doesn't take a PhD to know that you are representing the big insurance companies headquartered in Connecticut rather than the people of Connecticut. You can rationalize with claims of lofty ideals, but everyone knows – you're sleeping with the fat cats.

In Times Square they have a name for people like you.

Yellowdog

December 15, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  24. Lou

Why would any party be interested in Lieberman? He isn't to be trusted and flip flops according to reelction possibilities. I think he is through in politics. He is nothing more than a troublemaker and isn't interested in the good of this country or it's inhabitants. As is typical with most politicians, his interests lie only with himself.

December 15, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  25. Linda

Joe Lieberman is nothing but a splitter. He's the new Ralph Nader. Sure, he thinks he's doing the right thing by voting his "concience", but all he's really doing is hurting the country. Do he and his Republican comrades in arms think we can solve a massive problem like skyrocketing healthcare costs and insurance policies that constantly increase premiums while decreasing coverage WITHOUT spending money? If so, then he is kidding himself. But he's not fooling me!

December 15, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |