December 15th, 2009
11 months ago

Lieberman on party switch: 'All options are open'

Washington (CNN) - Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman told CNN Tuesday that he has not ruled out running as a Republican in 2012.

Lieberman told CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash Tuesday that the move remained a legitimate, if unlikely, option. "I don't know what I'll run as," he said. "I like being an independent. So that's definitely a possibility. But I'd say all options are open….

"It's unlikely I'd run as a Republican, but I wouldn't foreclose any possibility. I think the more likely thing is that I'd run as an independent because that's what I am."

He also denied that a decision on whether to caucus with Republicans depended on which party was in the majority: "Well, no. It depends on where I am. That's all hypothetical. I'm just happy to be where I am. I'm grateful I got reelected in '06, and I'm going to try to do the best I can every day.

"I've reached the stage in my career where I'm not measuring every step I take based on how it's going to affect the next election. I think if you do that you end up compromising the quality of your service."

"In this very polarized time in our politics, if you take a stand, a bunch of people will think you've done something great and a bunch of people will think you've done something awful. You've got to decide, I've got to decide that I've done the best I could to do what's right and best for my country and my state. And that's what I feel I'm doing on health care reform."

Related: Lieberman moving towards a 'yes' vote on health care reform

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Lieberman • Popular Posts
  1. Ivan

If you filibuster, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

December 15, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

Kiss your political career good-bye Mr. Lieberman.

Taking a stand or grandstanding? The Connecticut voters will ultimately decide what is to be your political fate. My guess is you aren't feeling too confident one way or another right now, and have read far too much into the recent factious polls being put out by big business.

That seems to be a major problem with flip-floppers such as yourself - those pesky polls consistently giving out inaccurate data.

December 15, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  3. Barbara from Canada

Send him packing to the Republicans right after the health reform vote. In January another Democrat Senator should be elected to fill the Kennedy seat. Let Lieberman drink tea with the Republicans after that.

December 15, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  4. Greg

Sen. Liberman joins the Republican party? Good idea. And good riddance.

December 15, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  5. Gary

We need a Democrat. Joe is a traitor blowing in the wind depending on ?

December 15, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  6. Newsflash: He already switched!

Anyone following Lieberman's voting record over the past year can easily see he's anything BUT a Democrat. He's a hawk when it comes to the military and appears to be in lock-step with the GOP senators when it comes to Health Care as well. He's been holding the entire thing up because of expanded Medicare coverage, already a vocal proponent of any kind of public option. To me he's being just as obstructionist as the other Republicans. Independent indeed.

December 15, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  7. Joyce Becker

I can't wait for that to happen and the good citizens of CT boot him out of the Senate, seems he's been there too long and his brain has turned to mush along with the rest of the other Republicans.

December 15, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  8. I

Lieberman would become anything as long as he can keep his job.

December 15, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. m jeff

He's already a Republican.

December 15, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  10. Mo

No matter if you are a liberal or a conservative, for the public option or not, if you are a resident of the state of Connecticut you need to give serious thought as to whether Joe Lieberman is looking out for the best interests of the citizens of Connecticut or for the best interests of Joe Lieberman.

December 15, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  11. tom

Quality of your service to whom, Joe? I'm sure the insurance companies haven't asked for a cent back from the million plus they have paid you to totally gut health insurance reform. A total hack with no ethics, morals or compassion, only how can he get more. Going to help us all pay our escalating insurance premiums (no public option competition to slow that down) with that million, Joe? Didn't think so.

December 15, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  12. Susan L.

I'll be donating as much as I possibly can to defeat this turncoat bastard, Lieberman. He should have lost in 2006. He will definitely lose the next time he runs. He's a slimeball.

December 15, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  13. j

Joe Lieberman doesn't know what he stands for anymore. He used to be for the very things he's now opposed to.

Can he pass the Republican ideology test?
    or
    Will Connecticut finally wake up and vote him out of office?

December 15, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  14. Tim

Without a yes vote for some kind of health reform, Leiberman's days in the senate are over. I can't imagine that his constituents in CT are going to put up with much more of his obstruction. People who don't have health care need it, so if you're going to just stand in the way, you might as well go home.

December 15, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  15. stan

Wouldn't this just be fence sitting?

So, he doesn't know what he stands for until the wind of polls points his direction? The fact that this fellow gets elected at all for anything perfectly reflects our current state of politics and defines the reasons for inaction from our, ahem, leaders.

December 15, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  16. Jake

the Republicans can have you! good luck with their open mindedness towards other religions from their own!

December 15, 2009 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  17. Vic of New York

People of Connecticut – you can't recall this snake, but you can find his house. You can ban and wait at his driveway. You can let everyone who goes in of out of that driveway know that he has become a reviled pariah in the state. You can tell any visitors to Joe's house that they are associating with a snake and a traitor!

People of Connecticut – YOU have the power to make Joe Lieberman VERY afraid.

What are your waiting for!!

December 15, 2009 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  18. Ancient Texan

Finally, a statesman who has the United States of America at heart. Not some party only agenda. We've had too few of these is the last forty years.

December 15, 2009 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  19. Chipster

So that's what all his recent nonsense is about! I can't imagine any political party would want him anymore. He strongly supported and advocated for extending Medicare to people under the age of 65 but, when given the opportunity to make it happen, he completely reversed himself! How can anyone count on him to follow through on his commitments. Maybe the Republicans will want him but I seriously doubt it.

December 15, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  20. Northeast

Lieberman will switch to which ever party will win him another term in office. Remember 10 years ago? He was 1 Florida Supreme Court vote away from being the Democratic VP.

December 15, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  21. Russ

I got some news for you Joe, you're not a Democrat, you're not a Republican, you're not even an Independant. You are a nobody. A worthless excuse for a Senator. You couldn't tell your butt from a dirty hole in the ground!!

December 15, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  22. John an Independent from NY

Yes the Dems are hopeless but wait the Republicans have already demonstrated how to run up a debt and steal our civil rights. Be a man, stay independent.

December 15, 2009 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  23. I wouldn't wish Lieberman even on the republicans

'quality of service?'

Mr. Lieberman you are near the worst of the Senators currently serving

there are a few worse than you, but in terms of doing good service for the American people, you don't

December 15, 2009 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  24. Lemonton

About time. Don't let the door hit you. You fit perfectly in the corporate puppet world of republicans

December 15, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  25. Bill

Joe Lieberman is not a Republican or a Democrat. He is a Liebermat, which means that he loves the position of tilting the scales and everyone catering to him with the congressional count being like it is.

When the new congress is seated, he will be a no-body again. His ego is only outdown by the ego of Sarah Palin.

December 15, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |