December 15th, 2009
9 months ago

Lieberman on party switch: 'All options are open'

Washington (CNN) - Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman told CNN Tuesday that he has not ruled out running as a Republican in 2012.

Lieberman told CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash Tuesday that the move remained a legitimate, if unlikely, option. "I don't know what I'll run as," he said. "I like being an independent. So that's definitely a possibility. But I'd say all options are open….

"It's unlikely I'd run as a Republican, but I wouldn't foreclose any possibility. I think the more likely thing is that I'd run as an independent because that's what I am."

He also denied that a decision on whether to caucus with Republicans depended on which party was in the majority: "Well, no. It depends on where I am. That's all hypothetical. I'm just happy to be where I am. I'm grateful I got reelected in '06, and I'm going to try to do the best I can every day.

"I've reached the stage in my career where I'm not measuring every step I take based on how it's going to affect the next election. I think if you do that you end up compromising the quality of your service."

"In this very polarized time in our politics, if you take a stand, a bunch of people will think you've done something great and a bunch of people will think you've done something awful. You've got to decide, I've got to decide that I've done the best I could to do what's right and best for my country and my state. And that's what I feel I'm doing on health care reform."

Related: Lieberman moving towards a 'yes' vote on health care reform

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Lieberman • Popular Posts
  1. chris l

WOW, Look at all the radicals either retiring or now even thinking about switching parties. The Radical Party formely known as Democrats are petrified about the Freight Train heading towards them and going to run them down in 2010. Watching the Liberals follow their socialist leader off the political cliff is wonderful. Hey "BIG TENT PARTY", your tent has some sort of deadly bacteria growing inside it. Time to clean out the tent.

December 15, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  2. JDH

The bad thing is Leiberman was just re-elected. The best thing would be if the Democrats kicked him out of their caucus. Then, we'd get to see what his intentions REALLY are.

December 15, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  3. Jovana

give it up. go away and take sarah with you.

December 15, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. Aspen Professor

"I've got to decide that I've done the best I could to do what's right and best for my country and my state. And that's what I feel I'm doing on health care reform." -– Trust us Joe - You are NOT doing the best you can! Your idiocy re Health Care Reform is WAY OFF the mark and so is your support for Republican ideals (if they have any).

December 15, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. Mary

The best thing he can do is vote yes on health care reform if he cares at all about the fact that millions of Americans are dying without health coverage. Maybe he gets paid too well to care about anything but his own future.That makes him a Republican.

December 15, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  6. cane pazzo

I wish this self-serving gas bag would just go away.

December 15, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  7. Grace

For heaven's sakes...what an idiot.

December 15, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  8. haren

Switch the party LIE-berman so that we can take away your chairmanship.

December 15, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  9. Steve (the real one)

Don't be too hasty. Lets first see if Spector gets booted for clowing the people of PA. Job one, represent the people the voted for you! Spector did not! Lieberman was elected as an independent, not a Dem or Republican! Real simple, vote for your people! You don't have to change parties to do that!

December 15, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  10. Michele

Guess what, Joe. You ahve already compromised the "quality of your service." You are doing a huge disservice to your constituents and all Americans. You were for universal health care when you ran an an Independent. For it, remember? Now you are for a bill that will create huge debt, huge profits for the insurance industry, and will not lower our costs one iota. Shame on you, and shame on the Republicans who lie and whine to their way. I am ashamed of all of you, and guess what, this bill is on YOUR bloody hands now...if it is as bad as it looks, and you back it, the voters will remember.

December 15, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  11. Dwayne

Joe in a few years when you look back you will be as sick to your stomach as we are now. You have turned a great bill into a good bill.

December 15, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  12. AndyB

Connecticut should be ashamed of Lieberman. Playing to political game to get his name in print is disgraceful when the Health care of our nation is the subject matter.

December 15, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  13. Jim

He will run as the "Defeated Candidate" if people have any brains at all. Voters, throw this self serving loser out.

December 15, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  14. johnkc

I think he should be a republican. He sure isn't a democrat. I regret ever voting for this man for vice-president.

December 15, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  15. charlie in Maine

Maybe he would win too, But he would have to move to another state. But don't go for too Red a state after all Joe just cause you look like a Republican to me doesn't mean you will be accepted by them.

December 15, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  16. Larry

Joe
    Stop making excuses
    You've turned your back on America for your Insurance buddies
    As far as I'm concerned instead of changing parties, please just change countries
    I'd like to see you move to Russia or Cuba
    If I never saw your face or heard your voice again, it will be way too soon !

December 15, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  17. John

Please please Connecticut throw Leiberman out of the US Senate...........he deserves this.

December 15, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  18. Florida Dude

Joe Liberman is the definition of worm. Make up your mind Joe so you can be voted by priciples and not becase people "think" you will vote their way.

December 15, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  19. k

Good. He'll be devoured in the primary by the true believers.

Too bad that that once he's been voted out of office, he still won't have to buy his own health insurance on the "open market", since he'll be on medicare. So we'll still be paying his way.

December 15, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  20. barry

we dont care what he runs as as long as he is run right out of office...

December 15, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  21. barry

we dont care what he runs as as long as he is run right out of office...
    trader joe....is no friend to the average american worker

December 15, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  22. Steve C

Time for Joe to retire and go away. All he cares about is the "senator" in front of his name, democrat ,independent, repub, communist, whatever it takes. I used to respect this guy, now he just needs to retire and shut up!

December 15, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  23. nathan

Lieberman is awesome. He's a democratic vp who is willing to endorese a republican. We need more politicians like him.

December 15, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  24. robert martin

I can't believe the republicans and big money are driving the agenda again. I guess we just have to get used to President Lieberman. I've cast my last demo vote.

December 15, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  25. No more Lieberman

I can't believe this is the same person I voted for VP years ago. It's obvious he is being paid by the corporations he defends. Arthur Miller said it long time ago "it's time for senators to start getting paid by the corporations they represent".

Go away Lieberman, we don't need you in Congress anymore. Shame on you, playing power at this crucial time in our lives!!!!

December 15, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |