December 15th, 2009
3 months ago

Lieberman on party switch: 'All options are open'

Washington (CNN) - Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman told CNN Tuesday that he has not ruled out running as a Republican in 2012.

Lieberman told CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash Tuesday that the move remained a legitimate, if unlikely, option. "I don't know what I'll run as," he said. "I like being an independent. So that's definitely a possibility. But I'd say all options are open….

"It's unlikely I'd run as a Republican, but I wouldn't foreclose any possibility. I think the more likely thing is that I'd run as an independent because that's what I am."

He also denied that a decision on whether to caucus with Republicans depended on which party was in the majority: "Well, no. It depends on where I am. That's all hypothetical. I'm just happy to be where I am. I'm grateful I got reelected in '06, and I'm going to try to do the best I can every day.

"I've reached the stage in my career where I'm not measuring every step I take based on how it's going to affect the next election. I think if you do that you end up compromising the quality of your service."

"In this very polarized time in our politics, if you take a stand, a bunch of people will think you've done something great and a bunch of people will think you've done something awful. You've got to decide, I've got to decide that I've done the best I could to do what's right and best for my country and my state. And that's what I feel I'm doing on health care reform."

Related: Lieberman moving towards a 'yes' vote on health care reform

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Lieberman • Popular Posts
  1. TM

So why not switch now? He already votes in line with the Republicans, and he has already told the Democrats that he will not, under any circumstances, allow the health care reform bill come to a vote in the Senate. The only reason he he wants to caucus with the Democrats is to keep his committee chairmanships. Sorry, Senator but you owe your caucus support on procedural votes. You may vote however you wish on the bill, but you cannot block the vote and retain the benefits of caucus membership. This is what is meant by "you cannot have your cake and eat it too".

And a note to the Democrats – WHEN Senator Lieberman votes against cloture on the health care bill he should be IMMEDIATELY stripped of his committee assignments and ejected from the caucus. Better to have him as an identified opponent in the Republican caucus, then as a saboteur and opportunistic turncoat within the Democratic caucus.

December 15, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  2. CJ

Well, Joe, the Republical Party is just exactly where you should be. You have turned your back on the many Americans in this country who cannot afford health insurance by opposing a public option and reducing insurance costs so that all can afford it. You became an independent standing tall against the majority of Americans, and now you show your true colors. As history has shown, I believe you and Benedict Arnold have a lot in common!

December 15, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  3. Karen, Maryland

Why doesn't he just get it over with and be honest about it. He's not fooling anyone.

December 15, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. Helene

Go ahead Judas ! Sell your friends as long as it benefits a crook like you. As far as I am concerned go to the Republican Party and good riddance !! You are an embarrassment to this country.

December 15, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  5. Helene

Go ahead Judas ! Sell your friends as long as it benefits a crook like you.

December 15, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  6. JDQ

It would only confirm what he's already made obvious.

December 15, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. CJA/Independent voter

How do you trust someone who switches sides on a whim, Benedict Lieberman?

December 15, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  8. James Pfeiffer

Come on! Let's face it. Whether your a Republican or a Democrat you know this guy is way creepy.

December 15, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. Alan

run for the newly formed Traitor party. Time to put this horse out to pasture

December 15, 2009 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  10. Jose

I don't know who is worse – self serving Palin or Sore Loserman Lieberman. You know, when you're ego becomes greater than the role you're trying to play, something is very wrong.

December 15, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  11. Mr. Moderate

Who's he kidding, the people who have taken over the party would never allow him in....he not pure enough ideologically.

December 15, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  12. gary davis harbor oregon

this jerk needs to be fired
    and elect someone that isn't looking for fame infront of a camera
    and is willing to do a job for the people :)
    jerk

December 15, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  13. AJ

More threats from Lieberman. When will Democrats finlly get tired of taking his crap and give hime the boot?

December 15, 2009 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  14. unemployed by Obama

stay an independent, you will get more respect. People are looking at Independents now and are getting tired of the republican and Democrate party only lines. Its time for a new style.

December 15, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  15. Navy Vet

Anybody who switches party's like he does, doesn't stand for anything. Stand for something or you fall for anything and he is definately doesn't stand for anything, or anyone other than himself.

December 15, 2009 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  16. Tony

Hope the people in CT realize what kind of peron they have elected in 2006 !! I hope they throw the disloyal bum out of office next time he is up for re-election.

December 15, 2009 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  17. Michelle from Texas

Enough Joe Lieberman is holding the Democratic Party and essentially this government hostage, The Democrats need to strip him of his chairmanship, he has his own agenda he can't seem to let go of the fact he didn't win VP . The man is not solving problems or putting forth viable legislation he's clinging to the spotlight, So much for serving the people everything this man has done since Jan 1, 2009
    is SELF SERVING

December 15, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  18. steveo

this one's real short and sweet......
    if lieberman votes against health care reform, he's done, finished, over, forever and permanently with the democrats pledging to spend their last dollar if thats what it takes, to get him. and then doing it.
    he'll have played role of judas for the last time in his miserable life.
    it means his seats on each and every committee evaporates on the spot, and he's not just booted from the party but absolutely destroyed, no if's, and's, buts or maybe's.
    health care reform is so critical to economic future of the country that if he screws this one up, he's burnt toast.
    part of obamas problem is he dosent make examples out of people. he just kinda namby-pamby goes down the road and turns the other cheek just trying to get along with everybody and ends up being seen as weak. thats why the rethuglicans disrespect him like they do, dont care what he said at the nobel ceremony playing war daddy.
    not this time and not this issue. its that important to country's future and obama must realize, the future his kids will inhabit.

December 15, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  19. phoenix86

If he votes yes for this health care takeover, then he can stay in the party of bigotry and hate that now has the majority in Congress and holds the White House.

December 15, 2009 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  20. Jon

Joe Lieberman is a gnob gobblin. He claims to be "taking a stand," when really he's just going against the grain of his chosen party to stand *out.* Maybe he just didn't get enough love and attention as a child. Somebody please tell him that he's obsolete.

December 15, 2009 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  21. greenfish

The most ego-maniacal politician around today, and attaining that status is no easy feat. Whining, sore loser.

December 15, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  22. Steven

Would the Democrats finally end this guys power trip and censure him back to the stoneage. OR at least deflate his head.

December 15, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  23. bess

if 'ole Joe votes YES for health care reform and then expects to run as a Republican in 2012, he's a fool... or trying to fool somebody.

vote all the bums out. RE-ELECT NO ONE.

December 15, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  24. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Judas Lieberman is up for sale if the Republicans are willing to pay him what the insurance companies have paid him. He's a political pimp and will pimp anyone for money.

December 15, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  25. moosehead

Totally disgusting politician,. an opportunist, with no ethics, no loyalty and no principles.

December 15, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |