December 15th, 2009
10 months ago

Lieberman on party switch: 'All options are open'

Washington (CNN) - Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman told CNN Tuesday that he has not ruled out running as a Republican in 2012.

Lieberman told CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash Tuesday that the move remained a legitimate, if unlikely, option. "I don't know what I'll run as," he said. "I like being an independent. So that's definitely a possibility. But I'd say all options are open….

"It's unlikely I'd run as a Republican, but I wouldn't foreclose any possibility. I think the more likely thing is that I'd run as an independent because that's what I am."

He also denied that a decision on whether to caucus with Republicans depended on which party was in the majority: "Well, no. It depends on where I am. That's all hypothetical. I'm just happy to be where I am. I'm grateful I got reelected in '06, and I'm going to try to do the best I can every day.

"I've reached the stage in my career where I'm not measuring every step I take based on how it's going to affect the next election. I think if you do that you end up compromising the quality of your service."

"In this very polarized time in our politics, if you take a stand, a bunch of people will think you've done something great and a bunch of people will think you've done something awful. You've got to decide, I've got to decide that I've done the best I could to do what's right and best for my country and my state. And that's what I feel I'm doing on health care reform."

Related: Lieberman moving towards a 'yes' vote on health care reform

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Lieberman • Popular Posts
  1. Switch parties today.......

then we can eliminate that 60 vote deal......go for it Joe.....the Force is with you......

Obama is ONE and DONE.

December 15, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. Carole

ATTENTION HOG.....no UGLY ATTENTION HOG!!!!!

He and his ugly wife need to go home and just live the high life on the insurance money they make. I am OUT of Susan Komen

December 15, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  3. JR

God, why don't the democrats shed themselves of this repulsive conservative whiner?

December 15, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  4. minnie

Can't anyone stop this self-important jerk from hijacking the work of a duly elected president and congress?

December 15, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Looks like Joe is really enjoying the power trip he's on right now. It's really sad to see that gleaming in his eyes. There was a time I thought he really cared about the good of this country and of the people who live in it....but he's just another self serving egocentric politician who wants to weild his power.

December 15, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  6. Ed McNamara

Your quote about "not measuring every step based on how it's going to affect the (your) next election" is exactly why this country's in the mess we're in. You're are exactly right, it does end up comprimising the quality of your service. Why did you just figue that out now. Thanks for nothing. Pick a party and go with it. Grow a backbone for crying out loud!

December 15, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  7. Eric

Lieberman is a total jerk.

December 15, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. JP

Joe Lieberman is a traitor to the people who put him in office. He needs to switch up to the republican aisle now, before elections, and people will vote him out of fervently. He is definitely not making any new friends on the left. Otherwise, if he doesn't switch, he's just doing this for political theater.

December 15, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  9. Accountability

The Dems ought to beat him to the punch and write him out of the party...then put up a real Democrat against him next election.
    Backstabber......

December 15, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  10. James

If Lieberman finally did switch, it would provide some clarity on and closure to all the nonsense he's pulled in the last few years. He's be doing everyone a favor, Republicans and Democrats.

December 15, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  11. average Joe

Here we go again, the average citizen gets the shaft with no realistic option for health care.

December 15, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  12. Davis Champeaux

This guy is an opportunist that's been in the government far too long. He switches parties, betrays his principles and his party to stay in power. The people of Connecticut need to throw the bum out! Personally, I am sickened every time I hear him. The truth about Lieberman will come to light.

December 15, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  13. markiejoe

Loathe Lieberman

December 15, 2009 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  14. normajean

I can't believe Joe Lieberman has finally decided just what he is....a Republican.That certainly isn't what I've been calling him as he makes a deliberate move to be as intrusive as he can be in Democratic .health care attempts. Without his" HELP", they might have been able to get a working plan together.

December 15, 2009 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  15. Socrates

This guy is a parasite! His wife works for Insurance companies and insurance companies could care less about your health.. They are a companie like any other one that is more worried about profits.
    Lieberman is a crook, a theif, a hypocrite and what a pleasure it would be for me to punch him in the face. Millions of people have no health insurance and he is talking about deficit.. What about the one caused by Bush/Cheney with a war based on lies and deception..
    I hope people from Connecticut will kick him in his flat behind and discard him as a useless and self servin politican.. I despise this hypocrite who is giving a bad name to caring jewish people.

December 15, 2009 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  16. guyaux

No conviction. Only thinks about himself. Selfishness is best!!!!!!

December 15, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  17. dlforlife

Please retire you moron.

December 15, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  18. Smedley

Lieberman was and is a Trojan horse. Now that the Democrats have brought it to Troy, he will emerge as the betrayer of all that is proposed.
    He has become the defacto Majority leader without joining the party by virtue of his veto power. Why Reid lets him retain his chairmanship is beyond me.

December 15, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  19. Lynda

Lieberman has been bought and paid for by the health insurance industry. Thank God he never became Vice Pres. Who else does he owe allegiance too, because of campaign money and who knows what else he received. Connecticutt, do not re-elect this charlatan. He is not a man of and for the people.

December 15, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  20. Joel Parkes

Let's see now ... Opportunist? Check. Disingenuous? Check. Self-Centred? Check. Untrustworthy? Check. Irritating? Check. Sounds like he'd be a great Republican.

December 15, 2009 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  21. James - NC

It has become very evident the past few weeks how much money big pharma and the insurance industry can distribute in Washington DC while hard-working, and non-working, Americans continue to be saddled with unrealistic insurance, medical and prescription expenses. I am very interested in reading a Top 25 list of the individuals who are reaping the biggest financial gains from this 'healthcare reform' effort.

December 15, 2009 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  22. Carnell From The Motor City!

Senator Joe Leiberman: Sir. Benedict Arnold Himself Should Change Party Affiliations And Hope Like Hell He Wins. It Doesn't Surprise Me Though, There's An Old Saying (In Fact, 2 Of Them). A Leopard Never Changes Its Spots, Just As A Chameleon Always Changes Its Colors.

December 15, 2009 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  23. shak

this guy is a shameless traitor!!! older 'n male version of sara "i'm a total retard" palin!

December 15, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  24. wnewc

We voted you out of the party last time. Next election, we will make sure you don't represent our state anymore, because it has been a long time since you have actually done so.

December 15, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  25. Babe

Lieberman can run in the Purple Party for all anyone cares because I don't believe he can win reelection. His constituents in Connecticut have seen his shabby behavior and noted the corruption of his principles in putting the insurance and pharmaceutical company interests before them.

But should he choose to run, he would not identify himself officially with the Republicans although he is one in all but name since he put himself in bed with the McCain-Palin ticket. However, unless he loses his chairmanships and seniority before the election or has some inane belief the Republicans can win a majority in the Senate, he will not stick his neck out. I hope he disappears in his retirement.

December 15, 2009 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |