December 15th, 2009
10 months ago

Lieberman on party switch: 'All options are open'

Washington (CNN) - Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman told CNN Tuesday that he has not ruled out running as a Republican in 2012.

Lieberman told CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash Tuesday that the move remained a legitimate, if unlikely, option. "I don't know what I'll run as," he said. "I like being an independent. So that's definitely a possibility. But I'd say all options are open….

"It's unlikely I'd run as a Republican, but I wouldn't foreclose any possibility. I think the more likely thing is that I'd run as an independent because that's what I am."

He also denied that a decision on whether to caucus with Republicans depended on which party was in the majority: "Well, no. It depends on where I am. That's all hypothetical. I'm just happy to be where I am. I'm grateful I got reelected in '06, and I'm going to try to do the best I can every day.

"I've reached the stage in my career where I'm not measuring every step I take based on how it's going to affect the next election. I think if you do that you end up compromising the quality of your service."

"In this very polarized time in our politics, if you take a stand, a bunch of people will think you've done something great and a bunch of people will think you've done something awful. You've got to decide, I've got to decide that I've done the best I could to do what's right and best for my country and my state. And that's what I feel I'm doing on health care reform."

Related: Lieberman moving towards a 'yes' vote on health care reform

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Lieberman • Popular Posts
  1. Vincent Petrosino

Get out Lieberman and go to the GOP. You and your Hadassah are selfish, myopic corporate stooges who could care less about the everyday "joe" in Connecticut much less the United Stated. He supported the war in Iraq because he is an Israeli first and an American last. He supported McCain over Obama because he is a corporate tool and his wife makes her shekels from health insurance companies. He is against a public option and the medicare buy – in for the same reasons. People of his state should do a "recall" if they can and turn him out of office. And Reid should pull his chairmanship. Lieberman is a disgrace, making Benedict Arnold look more like Betsy Ross!

December 15, 2009 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  2. PAUL W.

Why not Joe, you already sold your soul this year. Why not get those scarlet G.O.P.'s for your lapel?

December 15, 2009 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

And your bid for my allegiance is???

December 15, 2009 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  4. AP in Illinois

Hey Joe...The Republicans don't want you either! Become a Republican and I guarantee you will be called a RINO or a moderate the day it's announced. You won't be conservative enough. Right now they are being nice to you because you alone are giving them what they want which is to defeat health care reform.

December 15, 2009 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  5. Mike

This guy sucks.......... can we stop spending money on bombing Israeli enemies and start working on getting America back to work?

December 15, 2009 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  6. Gary

Scum absolute scum. Why are no stations running with the fact this piece of crap has switched his vote since september. Could it have anything to do with his wife working for the Pharma.Could it be because big insurance companies are lining his pockets, come on tell the whole story, dont give this scumbag a free pass.Or is it that he is siding with the gop so thats ok with cnn and your slanted reporting of mis information.

December 15, 2009 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  7. Tanja

Lieberman can not be trusted by the people who voted for him any longer.

He is a snake in the grass who is only interested in serving himself not the people.

December 15, 2009 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  8. David in KC

No one cares Joe. Whether you run or not, whether you're a conservative a moderate or a liberal. You're irrelevant Joe. Perhaps you should wake up and smell the bagels.

December 15, 2009 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  9. Mike from Boca

Why is Joe Lieberman still in Congress? Who does he really represent? He appears to be an obstructionist not reallhy standing for anything. I don't get it....

December 15, 2009 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  10. Dan

VOTE him OUT on his ear! Both he and Palin offer up nothing constructive.

December 15, 2009 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  11. TrueIndependent

Senator Lieberman gives the term 'flip-flop' a bad name. He is simply a toad and would sell his soul cheaper than Judas.

December 15, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  12. Kayla

Sure thinks he's mighty important....not.

December 15, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  13. yankeegirl15

What a creep, the Repuklicans DESERVE droopy dog. Go sit on menora Joe.

December 15, 2009 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  14. Blue

Joe, you are done, It does not matter which party you choose, you will not be re-elected. You have caused so much harm to people with health problems and they can't do anything about it. Get out, we don't want you anymore. You are already a republican in sheep's clothing.

December 15, 2009 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  15. matt

I don't agree with all of his policies, but he at least seems to approach policy more thoughtfully than most of his peers who more readily embrace political expediency.

December 15, 2009 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  16. ThinkAgain

Yeah, yeah, whatever, Lieberman. You're nothing but an egocentric jerk who's putting party politics ahead of the welfare of the American people.

Wait! He's the perfect Republican! No wonder he wants to switch!

GOP = Party Before Country
    Lieberman = Putz & Schmuck

December 16, 2009 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  17. twiddly

Benedict Lieberman is so toast when he comes up for reelection!

December 16, 2009 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  18. jane

After his turning his back on those 55 and over who have no health insurance and no prospects of getting any, the least he should do is run as a Republican. At least he'd be showing his true colors. Unfortunately, he has shown that he will do only what is in his own best interests.

December 16, 2009 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  19. James Baker, Las Vegas, Nevada

Sen. Lieberman should have a hard time sleeping at night by successfully denying real health care reform to the American people. He should be ashamed of his duplicity in criticizing a "government take-over" of the health care industry, when his own health care is very ably provided by the government. But I doubt that he will either lose sleep or be ashamed because he will continue to have the deep pockets of big insurance to keep him company. What a sad example of how our democracy is hijacked by special interests.

December 16, 2009 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  20. Jim Doyle

Maybe he could just run away...

December 16, 2009 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  21. The Crypticum Keeper

What a weasel.

December 16, 2009 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  22. tee

Good Bye

December 16, 2009 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  23. stevetall

Get a real job, Joe. It's about time that you did something positive for America.

December 16, 2009 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  24. KC

He's a jerk, so he should fit in well with the the Republicans.

December 16, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  25. cgillette369

dana bash actual name is Ruth Schwartz and she is married to John King who has converted.

December 16, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |