December 15th, 2009
10 months ago

New poll shows Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise

Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady.

Washington (CNN) - Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady now than they did 10 months ago, according to a new Marist College Poll.

The survey shows that 57 percent of registered voters approve of Obama's performance as first lady, up 7 points from a Marist poll conducted in March. Twenty-four percent said it has been fair, while 10 percent thought she is doing a poor job.

But Obama is not viewed as a transformative first lady. Only 37 percent said she has changed the role for the better, while 46 responded she has done nothing to change it. Another 10 percent said Obama has changed it for the worse, while 7 percent were unsure.

The poll of 858 registered voters was conducted on December 2, 3 and 7. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percent.

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Independent

She is doing a great job...

I don't recall all this type of polls when George and Laura were in the White House, so why all these polls on the Obama's???? Think it is time to stop and let them go about their business, after all they haven't been in the White House for a year yet...so who are we to judge...

December 15, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. Henry Miller, Libertarian

You know what might have been fun? If Michelle had run for VP with Barack. The first husband/wife Pres/VP pair in US history. The first black husband/wife Pres/VP pair in history. I expect Michelle would do as good a job as Biden, or possibly better.

Or maybe, to add to the novelty, make it Michelle for Pres and Barack for VP... I doubt if Michelle would be doing a worse job as Pres than Barack–that's probably not possible–and, again, possibly better.

December 15, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. Robin

As much as I dislike her husband's policies, I do like Mrs. Obama.

December 15, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  4. Todd

I'll never forget when bush trotted out that plastic-faced wifey of his as an "expert" on education when he was shoving NCLB up our collective --ask your mother what's it called -

She actually said how fondly she remembered the first day of school because of the wonderful smell of sharening crayons in the elementary school library. What a twit. Still, look at who, or what, she married. says all you need to know. That said, Laura was head and shoulders above the twerp she married. She would have ade a far better president than george. But then so would the average middle school child.

Michelle Obama is a classy, intelligent, thoughtful, and consciensous First Lady.

December 15, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. Dave

All politics aside, you'd have to have a very hard heart not to like Michelle Obama.

December 15, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  6. GG

This is such a gossip magazine item, not sure why CNN bothered to report it? First Ladies are never more than a footnote in history, even Hilary will be remembered far more for her other public roles than as 1st Lady.

December 15, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  7. C1968

I think Mrs. Michele Obama is a role model. I agreement she deserves that title Mrs Michele Obama. She represents herself well. She know how to speak and shows that she can be an example for our Black Women. I am so Godly Proud of her and President Obama. He is doing all he can do also to get this country moving.

December 15, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  8. Manner

Dignity, grace, intelligent, compassionate mother and wife. A real person person, genuine through and through.

December 15, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  9. babs

This lady is a real class act. A real person. I look up to her as an example of a great woman.

December 15, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. rachel

She maybe nice but she kind of bores me and she has so much staff surely that frees her up to do great things we are the ones we having been waiting for come on michelle.

December 15, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  11. MS

Even before entering the White House, MO was more qualified than Sarah Palin to hold any role in running of the country let alone as a First Lady.

December 15, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  12. Dan, TX

Who cares. I do not care what first lady says or does. It does not change the economic situation of our nation neither it can give jobs to un-employed.

December 15, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. JEANNE

Bet she could beat Sarah Palin in a Presidental race!!!!!!!

December 15, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  14. R Wolf, Ventura, Ca.

Yes, where were these stupid every second polls when we had the corrupt president and his placid wife just a short time ago? I am so happy with the job our President is doing and I think his wife, Michelle Obama, is just as dignified, classy, intelligent, noble, and wonderful as Barack Obama is. I have never felt such national pride in my 50 some years. Thank you Mr. President and First Lady. You're amazing people and our Country is so much better for your national service.

December 15, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  15. Marshall

Funny, are her numbers are better than her husband's?

December 15, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  16. Phil

I voted for her husband; she just came along w/ the President. I don't care at all about what some poll says about her. She could be a man for all I care. What's important is her husband fixing the gargantuan mess left by the 8 year train wreck of the Bush/Cheney war criminals.

December 15, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  17. vic bullard

A president and first lady that actually represents the USA...nice change.

December 15, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  18. FAYE, NV

Michelle has done and is doing a great job.

December 15, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. We the People/FormerGOP

I like her she is a beautiful highly intelligent, and in shape woman over the age of 40 you got girl! Any one says different is just a hater!

December 15, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. mkg

First Lady Obama exhibits poise, personality, as well as charisma in her role as First Lady. I am very pleased.

December 15, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. wait a minute

Mrs. Obama is an intelligent lady and an asset to our country. I wish somebody could have asked me for the poll.

December 15, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Polls are nice.

I think that Michelle Obama is one of the most, if not the most, intelligent and accomplished First Lady that we've had. With the economy being what it is Michelle has set the example for elegant restraint. I must say, however, that the Obamas have redefined and brought to the forefront the idea of the committed couple, and that of a couple in love. They are supportive of each other, they make open displays of their affection for one another and their children. Her contribution in that sense has been bigger than any other first lady in that they have popularized and brought back COMMITMENT, ROMANCE, and FAMILY to the White House. And no, JFK and Jackie don't qualify due to JFK's little problem (womanizing).

December 15, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  23. JB

The First Lady's only job is to act motherly. It doesn't take a brain surgeon. And despite what many liberals claim, it is not a real position. I like Michelle, because she isn't trying to turn her role as First Lady into some sort of real job, with responsibilities. She is treating it like Laura Bush did. And NOT like Hillary did. Hillary thought somehow the vote for her husband was a vote for her. It is not, just as the publics vote for Obama was not a vote for Michelle. Smile, touch on some issues that effect children, and stay out of the limelight. It is that simple.

December 15, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  24. Sandy Witherspoon

Michelle is an amazing woman–I'm SO happy to have her in the White House. She's made enormous sacrifices for this country and I, for one, appreciate her work and dedication as First Lady very, very much.

Thank You, Michelle!!!!

December 15, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  25. Jamie

She is amazing – so full of character and strength. She is a great role model for all American women!!!

December 15, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |