December 15th, 2009
10 months ago

New poll shows Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise

Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady.

Washington (CNN) - Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady now than they did 10 months ago, according to a new Marist College Poll.

The survey shows that 57 percent of registered voters approve of Obama's performance as first lady, up 7 points from a Marist poll conducted in March. Twenty-four percent said it has been fair, while 10 percent thought she is doing a poor job.

But Obama is not viewed as a transformative first lady. Only 37 percent said she has changed the role for the better, while 46 responded she has done nothing to change it. Another 10 percent said Obama has changed it for the worse, while 7 percent were unsure.

The poll of 858 registered voters was conducted on December 2, 3 and 7. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percent.

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. John Evans

I think she is very dignified as is her husband. A big change from the low life Bush family that has no dignity or integrity. Those who denounce her probably have little or no good deeds in their own lives.

December 15, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. pdpdpd

She's putting on an act–and after following the news closley all I have heard about her is that she planted a garden. Big whoop. She is not a stay at home and take care of the kids type of woman. Shes a Hillary type. Why doesnt she behave true to form rather than try to play Laura Bush? With Laura Bush you knew her interests were HER interests,. WIth Michelle it all looks calculated and image conscious.

And she ought to fire whoever is giving her fashion advice she - get rid ot her trend squad of dressers, More often that not it looks like shes tryng to be a slightly more conservative version of someone that shops at Forever 21.

December 15, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. Cat, Holt, Mo

Our First Lady is a lovely person. She does not speak ill of anyone. Is devoted to her husband and children.
    She grew up the same as many of us. She understands adversity and understands what most of us go through in life.
    I grew up in the 50's and 60's, in Missouri. I did not experience racism, as my family were not racists. But travel to Little Rock, as a young teenager. There were signs for black and white drinking fountain, and no blacks served at the lunch counter. Even at that age I was troubled. I never thought I would live to see this day. I have and always will be very very proud of my country the United States of America. We now walk the walk and talk the talk. Just remember the first part of our name UNITED. No matter if we agree on all issues, we are all Americans
    Very proud of our President and First Lady

December 15, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. SimpleLogic

Michelle Obama is by far the classiest and best first lady this country has ever experienced to date.

December 15, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  5. Frank P

This country is pathetic when what we care about is how the first lady is seen in the eye of others!!!!! Our country is in the biggest mess it has ever known in more than a century, and we have to focus on MO and how she is viewed?!!!!! All she has done is play and spend and have social events at the White House and challenge the iron chefs and promote fashion designers!!!!! She is clueless and is basically living a life she always wished she could have while her husband is making a bigger mess than when that other idiot, GW Bush left us with!!!! No, we do not care what MO is doing but we do care and hate the fact that her husband is driving us into socialism no matter how you look at it. This country was not founded on the basis of socialism and I bet you there will be a popular uprising and even a revolution if they try to change our path into becoming a socialist country!

December 15, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  6. jonesey

how do a little less than 900 people show what AMERICA thinks of this woman ???

December 15, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  7. Living in Amercia

I believe she has done everything showing how proud she is of America, and of the position she holds as First Lady. Often pictures (candid) show her with a glowing smile, engaged and beautiful.
    My belief is she is a positive influence for women, and diplimatic persons, who have always looked to the American White House.
    I am thrilled by the things I see and hear.

December 15, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  8. Anonymous

"...transformative first lady. Only 37 percent said she has changed the role for the better, while 46 responded she has done nothing to change it."

Don't get me started – she CHANGED it because she is an African American WOMAN that beat ALL ODDS!!!!

Why am I NOT asked about ANY polls CNN performs???... Makes you WONDER – who's getting POLLED???

ASK African American girls and boys.... ASK Disney – who came out with the FIRST African American cartoon that involves a PRINCESS... just ASK the right people!!! Dang!

December 15, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. T'SAH from Virginia

December 15, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. Wanda

I haven't been concerned at all about what people think about the president's wife because I so seldom think of her other than to pray for the family. The history of her liberal ideas don't impress me and if all we did was travel and kiss up to people in power we would probably have a high rating as well. Say what you want about President Bush (which a lot of people do) Laura Bush was a true genuine Lady. Mrs. Obama has her own agenda just as her husband does. That said....even though I don't agree with their ideas of how our country should be run, they are still the president and his wife so I will continue to pray for them and their family.

December 15, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  11. Murf

All the regulars that enjoy taking pot shots at Obama, have taken their opportunity to get their shots in. The First Ladies during modern times have taken on a central purpose in their role as First Lady. Michelle's is Military Families. Would guess the negative posters believe this not to be a worthy cause. Also, just answer the question - how many previous First Ladies could boast this kind of resume?
    "She is a 1985 cum laude graduate of Princeton University, a 1988 graduate of Harvard Law School, a former associate dean at the University of Chicago, and currently a vice president at the University of Chicago Hospitals. Michelle Obama sits on six boards, including the prestigious Chicago Council on Global Affairs, the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools and Tree House Foods".

What's that you say? "None", yeah that's what I thought, no go back to your tinker toys.

December 15, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. Ex-NC-Pub

I love and admire the way she has set and maintained being a MOTHER first! We forget she has two children at home!

December 15, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. Ralph

It's nice to know that the hatemongering radicals are confined to just a 10% fringe of the voting population.

December 15, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  14. Jill-IN

I am very grateful for Michelle Obama's example and leadership to families and children of our nation. Education IS important and inspiring young people to learn and achieve and have dreams to achieve for their future is wonderful. And I am very grateful and proud of the work President Obama is doing and know that he has just begun. I support them as our President and First Lady and pray for them every day.

December 15, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  15. Truth-Bomb Thrower

Yeah, this tends to happen when 100% of a person's media coverage is positive. You never hear about how her salary for her do-nothing job at the univeristy where she worked was raised by over 100K, coincidentally right when her husband was elected to the senate. You never hear about how she has more staff than any first lady in history. It's amazing what it takes to get some people to FINALLY be proud of their country.

December 15, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. AnnKr

Well, apparently no one reads or studies her. Fashion aside, she is far worse than Hillary ever thought of being. Too bad her history in Wright's church has virtually been erased. She is part of the Chicago-crony crowd with a chip on her shoulder.

December 15, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. LYNETTE IN CA

She's fabulous and is doing a great job both as First Lady and as mom and wife!

December 15, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  18. Otto

First Lady Obama stands on her own two feet. She is loved by many and there will be some who dislike her. Taking stock should be what she has and is doing; such as opening the White House to all those kids that would have never set foor in that place. Makes me proud of her kindness!.

December 15, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  19. Steph

The First Lady is a wonderful role model. She's doing an amazing job!

December 15, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  20. walleye

The most charming, gracious and hard working first lady in my lifetime was Mrs. Kennedy. Mrs Obama is also a classy act. What is there not to like.

December 15, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  21. Ryan

Yes, and if we keep hearing as little from her as we have she, will gain even more. If she tries to enter any sort of political role though, she will go right back down.

As of now, she is playing the role of first spouse to a T. She realizes that she is not an elected official and should not directly produce any sort of public policy. Keep it up.

December 15, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  22. Yolanda/New York

It must really be hard living your life in a bubble. Everything the Obamas say and do is scrutinized under a microscope to be disected and pored over. I can not remember any former presidents besides Kennedy whose life was micro managed by the press. I guess being the first Catholic President and being the first black president feeds the news frenzy.

December 15, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. Darrell / The Great State of Texas

As a FL, I think she ranks right up there with Eleanor...

December 15, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. Tony

My opinion on Michelle Obama: meh.

That's an improvement, I guess. I still don't like her, but don't really dislike her either. But it's not because she's done anything different over the past year. It's mainly because I don't care anymore. There are much bigger fish to fry, she's not important enough.

December 15, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  25. CNN, Arm of democratic party

Of course, the arm of the democratic party, will of course show this.
    Meanwhile, Rasmussen now has obama at 44%, the lowest ever by any president at this point of his term.

Is CNN biased or what???