December 15th, 2009
10 months ago

New poll shows Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise

Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady.

Washington (CNN) - Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady now than they did 10 months ago, according to a new Marist College Poll.

The survey shows that 57 percent of registered voters approve of Obama's performance as first lady, up 7 points from a Marist poll conducted in March. Twenty-four percent said it has been fair, while 10 percent thought she is doing a poor job.

But Obama is not viewed as a transformative first lady. Only 37 percent said she has changed the role for the better, while 46 responded she has done nothing to change it. Another 10 percent said Obama has changed it for the worse, while 7 percent were unsure.

The poll of 858 registered voters was conducted on December 2, 3 and 7. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percent.

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Michael

Even now people have to bring up the Bushes...

That's cool because Laura Bush's approval rating was 87% during W's last year in office.

And this anti-American just cracks 50%

December 15, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. Mike

They probably like her because she doesn't make any policies.

December 15, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. Nevada dude

Michelle is awesome as a woman, a spouse, a mother and a daughter. I am not sure if her role of first lady will transcend maybe Eleanor Roosevelt or even Hillary. but certainly–and with no offense to Laura Bush bc she was a class act in that old fashioned southern way despite her retarded husband– Michelle is the first first lady of the post feminist era– driven, successful, educated, self confident and self-sufficient. truly she is a remarkable woman and a great role model for aspiring girls. more power to her!

December 15, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  4. sherry

So many are just jealous that we have a intelligent, beautiful woman as first lady.She is gracious and humble and vey down to earth....A true asset to the White house.

December 15, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. Tina

For those that talk bad about Mrs. Bush - She is one of the finest first lady and has proven to be elegant, classy and exudes humility for 8 years, and had never tarnish the role of a First Lady. So, leave all first ladies out of politics, that's includes Michelle Obama. I am not a Democrat, but just leave wives out of the politics. The hardwork these first ladies done including Mrs. Bush (as some people said negative of her here) are exceptional.

December 15, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. Anonymous

I think its important that the first lady's approval rating is higher than the presidents.

December 15, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. Geno

I think its important for the country that the first lady has an approval rating higher than the presidents. This is what I call important information for those who care about this country. Lets talk about something of substance.........

December 15, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. Linda from Minnesota

I wonder how any cannot like her. What is not to like? She is accomplished in her own right and is focusing her priority on her children plus she works advocating for military families and healthy eating for kids. All admirable things – so what specifically do people not like about her? I don't get it – oh wait – maybe I do, its probably the birthers and teabaggers who don't approve but they don't approve of anyone except someone who thinks exactly like they do. You're doing fine as a first lady, Michelle, let the teabaggers and birthers carry on hysterically – we don't care about them.

December 15, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Bubble of Sanity

I'm happy for her, but this is not news. With the exception of the loud and obnoxious Ms. Rodham-Clinton, first ladies are always popular, even when their husbands aren't. Laura Bush left the White House with a high approval rating, and Pat Nixon, in spite of a very unpopular husband, never suffered a low rating.

This is not news, really. But I guess it's nice to hear something pleasant on this page occasionally.

December 15, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. Gil Oberdas

What a wonderful image in the White House after the last 8 years that were depressing!

December 15, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. jjr

As a republican, I think that she is doing a fine job. However, so did many first ladies before her, she is doing no better and no worse than any others. I think that she is a great mother but so were the other first ladies, she is no different than them. I would agree that I don't think that she has done anything to warrent a 10 % disapproval.

December 15, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. toad

There's better stock investments than Michelle Obama. I'm buying stock in Sara Palin!!

December 15, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. Ben in Oil City

This past Saturday I received a beautiful Christmas card signed by the President and the First Lady, I think there're both class acts and we're all really very lucky that their in the White House looking out for us all.

December 15, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  14. Cindy

I have to laugh that there is even a disaproval rating for a First Lady. Give me a break already. Let's face it, if you are a Republican you will likely not approve of her. She's been a great First Lady, she is very down to earth and I have a lot of respect for Michelle Obama.

December 15, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  15. Jeff

Americans have short memories.....I guess she is finally proud to be an American.
    Of course...she had to become 1'st lady elect to actually find some pride....

December 15, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  16. Mike

Speaking as a Conservative Republican, I feel Mrs Obama has represented us, the American people, very well. She is a very classy woman and I wish her much success.

December 15, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  17. Jake

she is a class act! a modern mother and wife we can all be proud of! we love you, michelle!

December 15, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  18. Phillip

Seriously, who cares?

Only left-wing simpletons who want a camelot for the new millenium really care about what the First Lady is doing.

Love the irony of the poster who criticized former First Lady Bush for supporting No Child Left Behind. If only you had the depth and objectiveness to realize Obama supports NCLB as well.

December 15, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  19. FL for Change

Classy, intelligent wife & mother! What a beautiful First Lady we are blessed with! Happy Holidays Mrs. & President Obama!

December 15, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  20. Mike

I bet the 10% of the population who thinks she is doing a poor job are the same people who think Pailn is qualified to be a president. I don't necessary support her husband's policy, but I think she is a highly educated woman (Harvard law graduate) and a wonderful parent to her kids.

December 15, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  21. Michael

Approve of what? She has no office. I guess they like the way she dresses, or stands next to the President?

December 15, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  22. bob in LA

This is ridiculous. Why even take this poll? 858 poeple are deciding how 380 million people feel not to mention the question is stupid.
    10% say she is doing a bad job? Based on what? She has no job except to be his wife and the mother of his children. Whatever she does is only a benefit to this country.
    Find something new to write about and stop with non-sense

December 15, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  23. NYbywayof Texas

"Grace, charm, and luminesque. Queenty." I think Mrs. Obama brings to the international stage a quality that has long been overlooked and side-stepped. Beauty and grace come in many sizes, colors, and shapes. It is about time we really broaden the American paradigm of beauty, grace and intelligence. Barack is a blessed man. Kudos to Michelle!!!!

December 15, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. Silence Dogoode

stopped listening to Michelle when except for Barry she was never a proud american....

People forget that Michelle Obama was a high powered attorney working in Chicago style politics.... she is just as rich and just as one sided as her husband

December 15, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Michelle Obama is a mother, a wife, a business woman... In that order!
    She may also be a politician, but even factoring that in, she is a HUMAN.

December 15, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |