December 15th, 2009
10 months ago

New poll shows Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise

Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady.

Washington (CNN) - Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady now than they did 10 months ago, according to a new Marist College Poll.

The survey shows that 57 percent of registered voters approve of Obama's performance as first lady, up 7 points from a Marist poll conducted in March. Twenty-four percent said it has been fair, while 10 percent thought she is doing a poor job.

But Obama is not viewed as a transformative first lady. Only 37 percent said she has changed the role for the better, while 46 responded she has done nothing to change it. Another 10 percent said Obama has changed it for the worse, while 7 percent were unsure.

The poll of 858 registered voters was conducted on December 2, 3 and 7. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percent.

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. MT

"transformative first lady"..... then she should be in the running for a nobel peace prize too.

His and Hers!

December 15, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  2. God bless you Mrs. Obama!

I agree with the post that says that no other couple has been polled as much as this one has, esp. the first lady. However, I think she is a great first lady. She is a smart, innovative woman, a great wife, and mother. I love to see her in interviews, and interacting with the public. I know that many people love her as well. May God bless you Mrs. Obama as you stand by your husband at this trying time in our nation's history.

December 15, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  3. Bevina

it would be great to refer to Mrs Obama as the "First Lady Michelle Obama. She has the right to the title; so CNN and all the new org's be respectful. Mrs Obama is a highly educated and respected woman in her own right. For those 10% that say Mrs Obama has change it for the worse. It would be interesting to know what that worse is. Can these pollsters explain please. Did she paint the white house walls black, laminate the floor, starting using wood/coal fire, eat with her fingers, entertain only black people. She has shown dignity and class. Hate and racism will always be a part of this society as long as we have these 10% around. Guess these 10% could never see them selves in a positive light so how can expext them to see good in others.

December 15, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. Carl Justus

I think she is doing a wonderful by inspiring people to plant gardens, not only to eat better, but to save money in the process. I think she has done wonderful with the children by showing how to take care of them herself as a role model.
    She will become one of the best first ladies we ever had.

December 15, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  5. LLB

I am not a Republican and I don't like her. I think she is a phony! "If you can't your own house how can you run the White House" Michelle Obama about Hillary's" inablility to reign in Bill's wandering ways. What was the message? That everyone with a cheating spouse should blame themslelves. Also, I read her Princeton dissertation... have any of you supporters? It seems that she was bitter toward the institutions that made it possible for her and her husband to attend ivy league schools. Did any of you read the main page to the church she attended before the site was changed??? Check out the family's tax returns and the lack of cash donations when they were making only $250,000. Although I have to admit, riding around in a private jet and a secure future for her family has improved her disposition substantially.

December 15, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. Don

Mrs. Obama is a class act. She is smart, family oriented, educated, articulate and attractive. What is not to like?
    I especially like the attention she focuses upon military families and military children. They are suffering greatly from these wars.
    She represents America well. We are lucky to have her in the White House.

December 15, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  7. RR Florida

Michelle has done NOTHING!!! since she has become 1st Lady!
    She is just there as a warm body!!!
    Whats to like or dislike??

December 15, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. Terry - Indiana

I have liked Mrs. Obama from the moment I heard her speak for the first time. Clearly, this is woman who cares about the people around her, such as when she introduced herself, the president, and their children as the new folks in the Washington, DC neighborhood of Pennsylvania Avenue. What a great mother, wife, first lady, and role model for the country. She would get my vote if she ever ran for public office.

December 15, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  9. Carol

Mrs. Obama is doing a great job. She is a good role model, classy and intelligent. Yes, righties, intelligent!!!!!

December 15, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. hear me now

I don't belive this poll ! Because I don't know and I don't belive that the american people are so stupid,

December 15, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. The Voice of Reason

I think Michelle is doing a great job! She is helping to promote the role of our brave soldiers overseas and their wives at home, and has
    worked hard to make people realize that they can band together as families as they grow organic food which not only helps the family
    budget, but helps young children realize how they should eat and the benefits of a healthy diet. She is just getting started and it is not easy to take care of two small children while looking after the busiest man in the U.S.! May God bless the Obamas this Christmas and throughout the coming year!

December 15, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. Tom

I'm not for or against the job Michelle Obama has done because quite frankly she isn't an elected official and her actions don't carry much weight. I am amused however at all of the comments about what a wonderful person she is. Perhaps she really is, but have we learned nothing over the Tiger incident? Folks, none of you know her at all and you cannot tell that someone is or is not a great person by watching them on TV. I'll withhold judgment on her because I honestly don't know enough about her to pass judgment, and neither do any of you.

December 15, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  13. Dave

She is on the rise because the only things they have her doing are walking around and waving and smiling. Basically they shut her militant mouth up.

December 15, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  14. mdauer

I am afraid President Obama will make this nation more destitute than it already is. He is a great orator and that's about it. He could be an ad for any toothpaste company., such as Colgate.
    As for Michelle there is nothing to dislike and she is there only because of her husband, otherwise she would be happily back in Chicago.

December 15, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. cgsailor

All these opinions mean nothing – they are based on the public image crafted by the people around her. "Garbage in, garbage out" as the old programmer's saw goes...

December 15, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. Howard

I think this improved approval rating may have to do more with the fact she actually does things while her husband just talks. She comes across as strong, he comes across as weak. There is NO question in my mind who wears the pants in their family. She most likely paid the bills, and we know she rejected Obama's government health insurance for her family when he was a Senator, and chose to use the health insurance provided by the company she worked for.

December 15, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. virginia Dinyer

Mrs. Obama is a charming lady who has the confidence to be herself while the press is on her heels. She is a loving, caring. involved wife and mother. Meanwhile the whole world is carefully taking note; she is a definite asset to our nation.

December 15, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. Joan

The best first lady in history.

December 15, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Irv Rowe

You all need to show proper respect and address the first lady of our country with her proper title. I think it is so tacky when so called "professional" writers don't do that.

Irv.

December 15, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. sadnbra

Mrs. Obama is a class act!

December 15, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  21. Steph

I guess 10% of registered voters have an issue with gardens and veggies.

December 15, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  22. David

Par for the course. But why should we care, again?

December 15, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  23. Just Saying...

I can easily say Mrs. Obama has done more for military families than all of the other first ladies combined.

December 15, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  24. Nothing to see here.

Why? There isn't anything that stands out about her, and she certainly hasn't done anything special or notable since moving into the White House.

Sounds like another pro-Democrat propaganda push poll to try to sell us on greatness of the Obama's.

December 15, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  25. Ethan

And btw, those kids are somethin' else. Too adorable!

December 15, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |