December 15th, 2009
9 months ago

New poll shows Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise

Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady.

Washington (CNN) - Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady now than they did 10 months ago, according to a new Marist College Poll.

The survey shows that 57 percent of registered voters approve of Obama's performance as first lady, up 7 points from a Marist poll conducted in March. Twenty-four percent said it has been fair, while 10 percent thought she is doing a poor job.

But Obama is not viewed as a transformative first lady. Only 37 percent said she has changed the role for the better, while 46 responded she has done nothing to change it. Another 10 percent said Obama has changed it for the worse, while 7 percent were unsure.

The poll of 858 registered voters was conducted on December 2, 3 and 7. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percent.

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter: @prestoncnn

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. C Spurgeon

Shes a neat lady and I think she does real justice to the job.

December 15, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  2. Laurie

She is an intelligent, graceful woman. She is a good wife, a good mother, a good daughter, and a great example of an American First Lady.

December 15, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. jason

Michelle rocks!

Laura was just a stuffy rag with a stupid grin on her face that had nothing to say but "what should I buy today?"

December 15, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. Bob

I didn't vote for Obama, but I think Michelle is being smart. There is enough "change" going on that Americans are craving some continuity and familiarity. The first AA First Lady shouldn't be a big deal, but if she came in like Hillary did claiming herself as "co-President", the backlash would be huge, and distracting to her husband. He's having enough trouble all by himself

December 15, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. Crystal

I watched the Oprah interview with them. I really didn't have an opinion either way before the interview, but I really like her now. She's strong, likeable, friendly, and so confident. I'd love to meet her.

December 15, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  6. Adam

You have to hand it to the Obama campaign. After her comments about being "proud" it looked like she could end up a perpetual liability. Now she has turned into a perpetual asset. This has to have been one of the most successful rebranding campaigns in history.

December 15, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  7. Beverly in NC

Michelle Obama is an intelligent, beautiful, graceful loving wife and Mother. She is the most wonderfully down-to-earth and truly caring First Lady we have seen in a very long time.

President Obama and his wife are wonderful parents, wonderful representatives of our country, and good and decent people who can be trusted with the best interests of ALL Americans.

Thank goodness for an intelligent President with an equally brilliant First Lady. They are true representatives and supporters of the People. I am so proud to have them showing the world the best of what America can be.

December 15, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  8. Jeanne Stein

I feel Mrs. Obama has grace and intelligence...appealing in any position however great or small. She has been very visible to the public which I believe is important,especially in times of crisis such as these. Her presence is reassuring and needed.
    J. Stein

December 15, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  9. Pepou

She is my role model.

December 15, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  10. bill

Let me add this up. 46% said nothing positive done by the first lady and 10% against her efforts. That is 56% non positive that you are able to somehow make positive. If you like the first lady to conduct herself and be seen the way she is fine. I think she should be more "first lady-like" ala Kennedy, Ford, Carter, and Laura Bush. Just because she can "get down" with the people leaves a lot to be desired.

December 15, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  11. t pat

I can't believe that 858 people(polled) in all of the United States is an accurate picture of what American's think

December 15, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  12. Superman

Anyone who would not approve of this woman, her character, charm, and intelligence, is a fool...

Does this not map what percentage of the population the present United States contains?

Sad.

December 15, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. elizabeth

I think Michelle Obama is a gracious First Lady. Because she is different from other First Ladies,she has her own style and etc. It will take a while for President Obama, to get out of this mess that we are in. It has only been 11 months and it takes times to get things done.

December 15, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  14. GIBBS

only 858 voters......you call that a poll!

December 15, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  15. Bugl3t

Wow... can we give her more than just 11 months to set her record as First Lady? One of the biggest problems with Americans is their "me first, right now" mindset.

People used to wait until the President's term was over to assess the "legacy" of his First Lady. Now we cannot even let him get one year into his term to do it.

Sad.

December 15, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. Michigan Patriot

Doing a great job???? What job?? Going everywhere and taking advantage of the taxpayer's money...She is doing a great job in that part!!. She doesn't care about the country; she has done nothing to show she is proud of this country. Mrs. Bush was a great First Lady. I am proud of her accomplishments, and for being a good wife and mother. Besides, she looked and acted like a "First Lady."

December 15, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  17. larrywi

How can anyone even say? She gets very little press, and her presence isn't noticed, what the heck has she done, I see her more as a stay at home Mom, but then again her husband is a televison mongor, he hogs all of the publicity himself!

December 15, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  18. Dex, Houston TX

Although this is positive feedback....do you honestly think Michelle Obama cares about your stupid polls. She's a class act regardless of what this trivial poll says....

December 15, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. B

Very classy lady and glad that she is there. I only wish that her husband would show a harder stern facet of himself to Congress and stop the nonsense destroying healthcare legislation!

December 15, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  20. Michelle Obama is a beautiful, intelligent, gracious First Lady

I wish someone would add up the cost of DUH-bya's WEEKLY trips to Crawford. He took more vacation time than any president in history. I suppose we should be thankful ... if he wasn't in Washington, he couldn't do as MUCH damage.

Laura Bush was and is a cypher compared to Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton.

December 15, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  21. Brian H

How anyone could have a negative opinion of Michelle Obama is beyond me. I don't think we've had a classier First Lady. Those that have a problem with her just have their own personal demons. There is absolutely nothing to criticize in her conduct or comportment. I think her star will continue to rise as people see her in more and more situations.

December 15, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  22. Keish

Some people dont have anything better to do than create a poll for people. These meezly 800 or so people do not speak for the entire country so who cares what they think. I agree with a previous post, were there polls done on the previous first ladies? Instead of polling someone else, each person needs to do one on themselves. Rate yourself on how you are doing as a citizen of the United States. What are you doing to make the country better? And I still say that Pres Obama has not been in office a good year yet let alone four for you all to be doing these polls. It took us eight years to get in this mess and its going to take just as long to get out of it. If we ever do. You are a little delusional if you thought there was going to be a big difference immediately. Thats being unrealistic. If you have all the answers and feel he is doing poorly then you should have ran for President or how do you suppose he gets us out of this mess if its that easy. If you are not part of the solution then you are a part of the problem. The people in this country kill me sometime with their holier than thou attitudes. No wonder the rest of the world despises this country.

December 15, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  23. Eddie B.

Michelle is really a woman of class. She shows that she is balancing family and politics perfectly. She keeps her daughters grounded and makes sure that they spend quality family time together. Her activisim is really impressive too. I think she could be like Hillary and really have a place in politics if she wanted.

December 15, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  24. Debbie

I think Michelle is doing an excellent job. I think she has done more than any first lady I have ever known or seen for that matter.

December 15, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  25. Michele

Since she has been the actual First Lady for only 10 months, how transformative can she be? This is like grading her husband's performance in so short a time. it makes for a little news bite, but is really meaningless, except to those that will never, ever approve of anything the Obamas do.

December 15, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |