December 16th, 2009
10 months ago

Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke named its 'Person of the Year'

Bernanke has been named Time's Person of the Year.
Bernanke has been named Time's Person of the Year.

(CNN) - Time magazine announced Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke as its 2009 "Person of the Year" Wednesday.

Bernanke will be featured on the cover of the magazine that hits stores Friday.

He beat out Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, President Barack Obama, Apple CEO Steve Jobs, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, among other finalists.

Full story

Filed under: Ben Bernanke
  1. Enough

Time magazine is a Liberal rag on it's way out. To have Nancy Pelosi as one of the finalists is totally disgusting and representative of what that magazine stands for. Bernanke........what a clown, what is this fool going to do to ward off inflation that is just around the corner?

December 16, 2009 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  2. JB - NYC

this makes sense?

December 16, 2009 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  3. Terry, TX

Time Magazine is still in business ....who knew...and they picked this man. How about passing information to the man..... cut government spending....cut government employees...don't lay anymore taxes on businesses.... and if banks fail let them fail.

December 16, 2009 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  4. Procstylee

Bernanke sat on the Fed while policies were put into place which contributed to this crippling recession. Now, he's just dumping money wildly into short-term gimmicks. He's done nothing positive and should not be rewarded for that.

December 16, 2009 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  5. Christopher

I find it repugnant and alarming that an elitist rag such as Time magazine ignores the facts about “the fed chairman” which include his lack of policy, leadership and blatant accounting fraud that allowed his private bank to swindle the American people (AGAIN) out of billions of hard earned dollars under the guise of “ECONOMIC OVERLORD” savior. I am sure glad I stopped buying that rag back in the eighties.

December 16, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  6. phoenix86

TARP stabilized the economy. Obama spent $5 billion of TARP; the rest was done under George Bush. Therefore, Bush stabilized the economy in conjunction with his pick for Fed Chairman (Bernanke).

December 16, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  7. Michael Monroe

As someone directly impacted by the poorly managed economy and forced into life changing decisions for me and my family, Mr. Bernake is the worst choice for person of the year. While I'm aware that my personal situation is in no way the direct result of Mr. Bernake's actions alone, based on his actions I have no hope of reversing my situation and giving my family the opportunities we previously worked so hard to develop. In some ways if Mr. Bernake had actually been less involved in the decisions with the federal reserve I believe as many would agree, we would be at a better place of recovery than where we are today.
    The poor selection of Mr. Bernake by Time makes me question the validity and opinions of Time which my parents and family had previously respected.

December 16, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  8. Marc in Virginia

Awesome. Finally someone who truly deserved the title.

December 16, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  9. Joe, Chicago IL

HAHAHAHA...this is a real treat.

December 16, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  10. Concerned Democrat

Just goes to prove Time Magazine is out of touch with reality.

This man is one of many responsible for the initial economy crisis. Why we would take his advice now is beyond belief.

It's like rewarding the fox who ate the chickens for cleaning up after himself.

December 16, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  11. Mac

Why? Thats all I have to say.

December 16, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  12. Jamie

I agree with Time. Bernanke has definitely seen us through some turbulent times.

December 16, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  13. Silence Dogoode

See Time does have just as much credibility as the Nobel people...NONE!

Pun intended: Bolt couldn't out race these other fools to the finish line? How many olympic medals?

December 16, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  14. t22

Ludicrous choice. How about the premier of China? Bernanke's a non-entity.

December 16, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Well deserved in conjuntion with what our President implemented to avert a TOTAL national and international financial disaster. Congratulations sir.

December 16, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  16. Bubble of Sanity

In times past, Hitler and Khomeini have also been "Person of the Year," so I think Bernanke probably fits in quite well.

December 16, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  17. Mike1952

Crumbs from Time for Ben. I thought maybe BO would just be the permanent cover boy.

December 16, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  18. Ben Carlisle

What? You didn't give it to Obama for what he is going to do?

December 16, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  19. Amazing

That's about as ridiculous as Obama getting the Nobel peace prize!! What a crock and to think Nancy Pelosi was a finalist. That should tell you everything you need to know about Time.

December 16, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. Will in Carson City

Well, it's better than having Pelosi win it. BUT - I love how they pump up this guy as helping to save the economy when he is the sole guy that actually is DESTROYING the economy. He controls the money flow. So, when he creates more money, he devaules the dollar and inflation goes up.

December 16, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  21. Bob A.

Dear Time magazine:

If you look closely, you will see that Ben Bernanke is a "man." It it ok to call him a "Man of the Year." No one will think any less of you. E-mail me if you need clues about how to distinguish "men" from other beings.

December 16, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. Mike in Columbus

Crook of the year would be more appropriate.

December 16, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  23. Michael

What garbage. Why was this fool even considered.

December 16, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |