December 16th, 2009
8 months ago

Obama wrote letter to N. Korean leader, official says

President Barack Obama wrote a personal letter to North Korean leader Kim Jong Il.

Washington (CNN) –  President Barack Obama wrote a personal letter to North Korean leader Kim Jong Il that a U.S. envoy delivered, a senior U.S. official said.

Stephen Bosworth, U.S. special envoy for North Korea, delivered the letter to the North Korean leader during a three-day visit to North Korea last week, the official said.

The official declined to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Dean

I sure hope Obama grew a pair and wrote, "Clean up your act or we're going to clean it up for you."

December 16, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  2. Amazing

Wheres the story? He wrote a letter.........................and???

December 16, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  3. Barbara

I hope that in Obama's letter he mentions to North Korea that it
    is barbaric and uncompassionate to torture and kill for
    food consumption cats and dogs. These animals are traumatized
    and brutalized beyond human imagination. South Korea also
    consumes dogs and cats; an unnecessary evil.

Can you imagine man's best friend is tortured and then killed for
    human consumption.

December 16, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  4. getReal

What a clueless dufus we have as a president. Did anyone who voted for him really want him to write a personal letter to the most wacked-out, ruthless dictator that the world has? Would he also write to Hitler if he were alive today? Absolutely pathetic and clueless!

December 16, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  5. Obama 2012!

It is a great joy for me to learn about the smart and genuinely good things that Obama does on behalf of our country and the world as a whole. I really believe that his influence will do a lot to advance human civilization.

December 16, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. bernie

So...? Maybe it was just a Christmas card. Whatever's in the letter, open communication has been sorely missing among world leaders, and I'd like to see more of it. Absence of communication can lead to assumptions, distancing and lack of knowledge on important issues. Keep those cards and letters coming.

December 16, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  7. Aspen Professor

How about that! A President that is not afraid to communicate with a foe as well as a friend, not that Bush and Cheney had friends overseas.

How you resolve "differences" with your enemies without communicating with them is impossible, isn't it?

I can hear the right-wing extremists now -- "When they do what we tell them to do, we may begin talking to them". Arrogance, hypocrisy, and nation-building is the extremists "forte". I'm happy to see them gone!

December 16, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  8. Chris

I'll sum up all the posts in this one to save everyone the time of reading:

1 – He's fixing everything that Bush messed up – great use of diplomacy!

2 – He's apologizing for America and begging them to launch a nuclear assault on America.

Sound about right?

December 16, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  9. Shane from Ohio

Well, whatever. We'll see what good it will do.

December 16, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  10. Mitch

The President's Letter to North Korea:

Dear Kim,

I miss you. I am sorry that I haven't mad the USA a socialist state yet. Are you, me and Mahmoud still going to hang out? I miss us bashing America together.

Love,
    Barry

P.S. Can you guys give me the heads up before you and Mahmoud launch your nuke at the USA. I wanna not be there when it happens.

December 16, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  11. Really

I love how this whole story and situation seems very childish like we are "trying to be peaceful" yet we destroy so much. The media is worthless.

December 16, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  12. Chris

Oh goodie. He wrote a LETTER. A letter!! We're saved!

God help us all.

December 16, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  13. Jeff from chicago

What, another apology!???!

December 16, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  14. Bert

So is this supposed to be an issue?Another turncoat snitch just trying to get the fanatics of rhetoric going again.
    I have no problem with our peace making president corresponding and I'am sure it is peace oriented!

December 16, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  15. Jack

What? How about finding more out by asking. Free press my butt

December 16, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  16. Tom

Let me guess.

In the letter, he apologized for American imperialism, and promised that should they meet in person, Obama will bow from the waist, in reverence to the North Korean despot.

December 16, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. mgodoublems

I am glad that Obama is willing to open up diplomatic channels with every nation. It is a sign of changing times that our leader is willing to talk to those with differing ideologies personally, not just from a bully pulpit.

December 16, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  18. Wheat

Probably looking for tips on how to run a communistic government

December 16, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |