December 16th, 2009
  1. Wayne

The REAL question is why are the Republicans always ready to spend trillions of dollars to kill people all over the world, yet billions to help care for American's health reform is too costly. They should change their mascot from an elephant to a pit viper.

December 16, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  2. j

Why bother, the Progressives have caved in on the best parts of the reform and kept things that will ultimately benefit the insurance companies and hurt low income or people and businesses that can least afford the extra burden of mandated health insurance. It might still have a few good points but as a whole, it's a bust.

December 16, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  3. Sniffit

We should just make them all go at it like rock-em-sock-em robots...especially the part where they have a stick up their bums to control them.

December 16, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  4. Willy Brown

Democrats are so wrong on this but what else is new...

December 16, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. Texas Doc

I still find it odd that the people that are against governement health care have governement health care, the very best that you can get I might add. We are paying for their health insurance while they are fighting to take the same away from us.

December 16, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  6. Enough

Stabenow is another lying, out of touch Democrat who can't seem to answer a question, just full of typical Democrat talking points, that evade reality.

December 16, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. REG in AZ

I have literally been doing these postings for a couple of years, not motivated by a need to banter/debate but rather by frustration over the status of things and the need to just express what I feel is to the point and without rationalizations. I really don't want to tell others what to think, even while I do strongly trust my own logic and ability to clearly reason, rather just being satisfied expressing myself. I accept others' right to their opinions and the validity of their reasoning without needing to argue differences. What got me pulled in was the gross dishonesty and the blatant and aggressive efforts aimed to appeal to people's biases, prejudices, emotional and selfish attachments, intended just to manipulate. What bothered me greatly was the dishonesty being freely used, without hesitation or conscience, to manipulate public opinion and be deceptively focused on real benefit just for the few and on giving only apathy, the costs and an abundance of subterfuge to the many. It worked to excite and influence racial feelings, family values issues, immigration issues, Global Warming apathy, party unity, many other fears and strongly felt emotions/concerns which then simply clouded issues and commandeered loyalty. I was a moderate conservative, a registered Republican but more important to me was that I couldn't tolerate dishonesty and felt issues became unimportant as you really couldn't trust anything said. In 2000 I recognized the negative traits and the sociopathic personality of the Bush-Cheney camp and for the first time since JFK I voted Democratic; from 2001 to 2008, as this country drastically lost ground in all categories, my fears were proven valid. Today I am still a moderate conservative but recognize both the real need for liberal actions to regain lost balance and the continuing gross dishonesty arrogantly and boldly aimed to return to 'more of the same', while they once again just play with and use people's fears and selfish concerns. We really need the Republican Party to conscientiously and honestly offer real bipartisan cooperation, with quality people (not just 'puppets' for Special Interests and the few) and to diligently work on fine-tuning everything but it is obvious their only intent is to criticize and block, hoping to discredit, all Obama efforts. The only way that will change, to see them put people ahead of politics, is when they experience the pressure of the public's rejection and that may not happen until voters themselves become more conscience driven and less self-focused. Again I am feeling pressured by frustration, this time by the frustration of observing and expressing the same thing over and over again and I just want to ignore politics. I sincerely hope everyone enjoys their holiday season and that 2010 brings real positive changes that benefit all of us!

December 16, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  8. james Miller

Bottom line is the big-money Repubs. are scared the tax breaks that have created a large "super rich" flock over the past dozen years will be reversed. They are so scared they are saying NO to anything that requires ANY spending so THEY can "weather" the economic downturn keeping their fortunes intact. Thje average American is so dumb and gullible they deserve what they get. That`s how we got the Congress we have. -------- I`m DISGUSTED with them all.

December 16, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  9. Idiot_Pelosi

I'll tell you what, let Debbit Stabenow pay the additional taxes.

I like the way DUMocRATS say it's going to lower cost, but my taxes (as an individual and employer) have to go UP.

This slide of one hand to feed the other hand is a bunch of BS, which is what OBOZO and the DUMocRATS are trying to sell.

NO NEW TAXES, NO NEW FEES.

December 16, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  10. LETHOL

If the American people are going to confess that this is a country primarily built on so called Christian Judeo religious principles, then the American people have to ask themselves are they really and truly living by those standards.

Americans also need to understand that this is a country where DEMOCRACY RULES the day. What that means is we vote, and after we vote the person or issue that has the most nods at the end of the day, gets the head of the seat at the end of the day. Obama and the Democrats won big because when the Republicans had the big seat at the table they messed things up. That's the way our system is. If you don't like the way our system is, then vote to change it, move to some other country if you're not too afraid, and or just shut up already!!

The Health Care Insurance industry in this country needs to be completely overhauled point blank period. It's that simple and if you're going to call yourself a Christian (meaning being Christ like) then do what the Christ in you should be telling you to do, or just do what you know Christ would do. Anything short of that and you are just a fake hypocrit destined to be dealt with for your hypocracy come judgment day.

December 16, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  11. Moderate Democrat

Reconciliation.

Put single payer system back in. Put 55 entry into Medicare back in. Tax the insurance companies to high heaven and back to pay for it, putting them out of business. Insure 'no exclusion' clauses. Cap the price insurance companies can charge.

Pass it with a 51 vote. Let's stop negotiating with the terrorists (those who oppose a public option). Let's stop negotiating with the treasonist genocide seeking demons (those that wish to continue the slaughter of 44000 american citizens per year).

Reconciliation. They can change it in 2010 if they are able to. Otherwise, they are NOT the majority that they say they are.

December 16, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  12. Joe

OB said that your health insurance premium will never go up for 95% of citizens. You need to come back to this promise with your premium bill in next 3 years to check whether it is true of fault or lies.

December 16, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. jane

At this point, it looks as though we're not getting a decent health care bill. There's no public option; there's no medicare buy-in for slightly younger seniors who can no longer find work (despite age discrimation laws). What we're going to have is a bill that requires people to pay for health insurance, whether they can afford it or not, which will make the insurance industry profiteers deliriously happy. The Democratic majority in congress might as well have gone fishin' the day they were elected.

December 16, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  14. Steph

With all due respect Mr. Hatch, but republican ideas have been added to the bill. There has been an effort to create a bi-partisan group to work on health care reform, but when the republicans actually say they want to kill this because it will be "Obama's Waterloo" you can't blame the democrates from excluding you. Americans NEED reform. The status quo is unacceptable.

December 16, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  15. SocialismBad

Lying Democrat after lying Democrat says they have tried to work with the Republicans for a bipartisan bill. Not one single idea on the Republican side was included in the bill! Closed door meeting after closed door meeting with only Democrats and Obama. Republicans AND THE PRESS LOCKED OUT. Not quite the TV broadcast the President lied to us about!

Tort Reform? Absolutely not, because even though it'll lower costs $100 BILLION a year, it'll hurt the Democrats BIG CONTRIBUTORS the trail lawyers. So the Democrats side with fat cat ambulance chasers instead of the American people.

Cross State competition? Democrats say NO. Yet they claim they want the public option to increase competition and lower costs! But why do they refuse to open up the private system to compete?

But what the American people DO get is hundreds of billions in NEW TAXES, CUTS TO MEDICARE and GOVERNMENT INTRUSION IN THEIR HEALTHCARE.

BTW, Senator Stabenow, what about all those inflated union wages chasing jobs overseas? Being from Michigan, you should KNOW that but I guess they contribute millions of dollars to Democrats so they are a protected class.

December 16, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. gt

if stabenow does for health care for what she has done for michigan ...were all doom....

December 16, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  17. Seattle Sue

The Republicans worry about the poor taxpayer when it's passing a bill to help lower and middle class America. I guess crushing the taxpayer isn't a concern when it comes to tax cuts for the wealthiest, the prescription drug plan that Bush signed, or blank checks for wars.

December 16, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  18. Jeff

Can there be a real debate on this, discussing the demand, justification, cost, and workability of the different components? All we have now is he said, she said.

D-s paint R-s as heartless, fanatic, greedy folks wanting to hand over money to big business.

R-s paint D-s as business killing, sloth encouraging folks who just want people to 'feel good' about life.

In the end, we get reams of legal language with unknown meaning.

December 16, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. Bob

What has always been missing for me is former Governor Palin's views, positions, and possible solutions. We have not seen her on Meet the Press, Sunday Morning with George Stephanonpolous. We need to see her engage the press without a script. What and how does she really think? A scripted softball question and answer with Sean Hannity is limited to the right wing base and not broad enough. Personally, I wonder how she would handle the stress and pressure of the White House or National office. We know about her stance on abortion and other social issues. That's OK. That is her perogative. I will neither condem or endorse that. What I find amazing about the climate change issues is: Is this really about changing our industries, needs, economy, etc. from fossil fuels to energies that are non-fossil and how gosh darn difficult this is. It's not like changing from silent films to talkies or horse and buggy to cars. Those transformations were not as difficult as what we are currently experiencing with health care reform, financial reform or weening ourself off fossil fuels. I think this is more a comment about our political system and the entrenched monetary intererst that don't want to loose their profits or power. They always seem to have enough money to lobby, skew the system, or make threats to those opposed them.

December 16, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. Ben in Texas

The Repugnants have made it impossible to pass real health care reform. Democrats need to recognize this and win a political victory instead. The path for them is clear: vote AGAINST the Senate health care bill. That would cover them in these ways:

– No Repugnant or Independent could criticize them for voting for a bad bill.
    – No progressive could criticize them for not standing up for universal health care.
    – The Repugnants would get the total blame for obstructing health care reform.

In 2010 and beyond, Democrats would receive landslides, based on these results. As the health care system deteriorates further in the coming years, Independents will move to the Democratic position of single-payer health care, and even some Repugnants will see the light.

Repugnants have been too crafty for their own good and will forever be known as the Party of No.

December 16, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  21. Mike1952

Nothing new here. Same old point, counterpoint. I am irritated that the reporter lets her ego loose and adds her own thoughts. Who really cares what she thinks. These liberal networks just don't know how to remain neutral and report, not comment.

December 16, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  22. Chipster

It's so funny that the RNC's new video reveals the selfishness that has risen to the top in the healthcare debate. Seniors: "Listen to me: say no to the government healthcare program, we can't allow a government healthcare program, it will threat my Medicare (uh - a government healthcare program).

The message is loud and clear: I've got mine and really don't care about those who don't!

I, I, me, me, mine! What's truly ironic is that most of the seniors saying this, call themselves Christians!

December 16, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  23. Sniffit

Is it me or is Hatch starting to look like a nutcracker with those jowels?

December 16, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  24. Mike Hunt

Sarah cannot be serious. This is a person who has no background in climate change. Here she is making the argument that because I live in Alaska I know climate change. Does this sound familiar – I have foreign policy experience because I can see Russia from Alaska.

I rest my case.

December 16, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  25. Tony

Hysterical, tune to C-SPAN if you get a chance today. The Republicans are having the entire 366 pages of the Single Payer Amendment read aloud. That loon Sanders is getting ridiculed just by having his amendment read. It might get 1 vote, but will chew up an entire day. Curious to see if he withdarws it, or if he will take all the embarrassment that goes along with being a loony lefty screwball. GREAT JOB REPUBS!!!!!!

December 16, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |