December 17th, 2009
7 months ago

Palin meant no disrespect with blacked-out hat

Palin said she supports McCain '100 percent.'
Palin said she supports McCain '100 percent.'

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she meant no disrespect to the man that elevated her to the national scene after she was photographed wearing a visor on which Sen. John McCain's name had been blacked out.

The gossip Web site TMZ ran photos of the former Alaska governor vacationing in Hawaii earlier this week in which Palin is shown with a McCain campaign visor with black marker covering the ex-presidential candidate's name.

The Web site declared the hat a "frontal attack on Sen. John McCain," but Palin told Politico she was merely trying to "be incognito" while vacationing in Hawaii.

"I am so sorry if people took this silly incident the wrong way," Palin said in a statement to the Web site. "I adore John McCain, support him 100 percent and will do everything I can to support his reelection. As everyone knows, I was honored and proud to run with him. And Todd and I were with him in D.C. just a week ago. So much for trying to be incognito."

A Palin source confirmed the accuracy of the former vice presidential candidate's comments.

The four term Senator McCain is up for re-election next year.

The vacation comes a month after Palin's memoir, "Going Rogue: An American Life," hit book stores. Palin launched an around-the-country book tour soon after and has since visited more than 30 cities.

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Gregory H. Brooklyn, New York

Sure!! How can I get in the News? I know. Sorry Maverick, you chose her.

December 17, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. Jim McKeacheran

What I see on this message board are a lot of liberal political novices. Amazing the vitriol and ignorance!

December 17, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. Laura, Boston

CNN and the main stream media:

Why can't you give the lady a break every now and then.. She is a private citizen and as such should be given the privacy she deserves to go on vacation and dress how she chooses. How many of us would cringe if the media published us for dressing down...

Shouldn't you ask John McCain if he felt disrespected? I bet if you actually took 2 minutes to make a phone call to his office, you would find out that he is just fine with the situation.

December 17, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. sue

Why don't all of you just grow up?

December 17, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Mike in SA

With all of the struggles and Democratic in-fighting that is going on regarding insurance reform and all of the near riots and political head-butting that is going on in Copenhagen, this is the story that continues to top the ticker??? Great journalism.

December 17, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  6. Julia

Ahhh...what about wearing a different hat, Sarah? Anything to get into the public eye.

December 17, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  7. Linda

Don't worry Sarah, they know you weren't disrespectng Mac, they are just claiming it politically.,

It proves you needed to try to be incognito, but if also proves, they wont leave you alone.

December 17, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. Ellen

She should have bought a new hat.
    She wrote a book for lots of money so she could buy one every color of the rainbow.

December 17, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  9. SNAPPA

What? She can't afford one that was blank in the first place? I guess now we know why the republicans had to spend $150,000 on a wardrobe on her....

December 17, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  10. Sarah Palin's next statement

I'm so rich I can go to Hawaii, but I can't afford to buy a sun visor, so I just grabbed one I happened to bring with me all the way from Alaska to Hawaii and I happen to have a black Sharpie with me and thought "now nobody will recognize me" and scratched out this true American hereo's name.

December 17, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  11. Indiana Pagan

I'm encouraged to see so many people commenting that do not buy Mrs. Palin's ridiculous excuse of wanting to be "incognito". Of course it was both a blow at John McCain and a publicity stunt.

December 17, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  12. GOP oppression victim

How odd of her to do such a nutty thing. Yeah as if she can't afford a few million from her Republican shopping spree budget for clothes during the campaign?

December 17, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  13. Rick

Shame on her. Re-using a hat! She should have gone out and bought a brand new visor and a $10,000 outfit and done that at least twice on that day so that she looks just right so that the media could fawn over her. Getting caught not looking just perfect...what a shmuck!

Oh please.

December 17, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. Tom in VA

Does this woman EVER tell the truth?

She knew EXACTLY what she was doing. If she REALLLY wanted to go unnoticed she would have worn a hat with NO writing!

And...

She wouldn't have had her PR people tell the press where she was!

Doesn't anyone see her for the phony she is!?

December 17, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. NOTFromChicago

Quick! Quick! There's a Sarah Palin piece on CNN! Get your hatchets out and bring up all of the old tired insults!!

Geez you people need to get a LIFE. So don't vote for her. We'll cancel out your votes. heh heh.

December 17, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. mike in colorado

she couldn't just buy a plank hat??? incognito??? how about the funny glasses with a big nose and mustash??

December 17, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. Tilda

you"go"girl! "go" sara, "go"! we "love" you sara!!!!!!!!!!!

December 17, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. laughingoutloud

do you people have no lives? is this all you have to do all day, sit there and worry about the ramifications of someone wearing a visor w/ black marker on it? get a life and find an interesting topic to waste your pathetic lives on.

December 17, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  19. Over it

The more i see of this woman the more she reminds me of why women in power get the horrible reputations that they do. She is an absolute disgrace to women, the American public and that standards we uphold in society now. She deserves NONE of this publicity that she gets. Does the republican party honestly intend on making this woman something more than she is, another worthless politician with a double digit IQ.

December 17, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. hongli

What is Sarah Palin doing with the Republican head-gear. I thought she said that everything was returned to the party. Clearly Sarah,this is called "Stealing". When you say everything was returned and you're still wearing their visor then you are a "LIAR". Please return every piece of property that belongs to the Republican Party now.

December 17, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  21. John Sullivan

Hey Betty,
    How do you spell "trailer park" ? Why its P A L I N

December 17, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  22. JB

I "support J McCain" but I blacked out his name... Uh, OK.

This woman is and will always be a buffoon.

December 17, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  23. robert

ummm.. she's made millions off of her Book yet she couldnt find another visor. perhaps one that didnt have his name on it? I dont buy it. She will do and does anything she can to get her name in the press, desperately hanging on to whatever bit of relevence she can muster.

Maybe she can run for office with Bill O'rielly and Ann Coulter can be her campaign manager.

December 17, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  24. Big Ed

Everything this nut-job does is for a reason: usually for attention. If we all just turned our backs, maybe she will just go away. If stunts like this don't show you she is beyond ill-suited for the presidency, you are not thinking clearly or are a relative of hers.

December 17, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  25. Michele

Let's round up every McCain/Palin hat from last fall from Goodwill stores, and black out BOTH their names! I think she's on to something (or ON something!)

December 17, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |