December 17th, 2009
3 months ago

Palin meant no disrespect with blacked-out hat

Palin said she supports McCain '100 percent.'
Palin said she supports McCain '100 percent.'

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she meant no disrespect to the man that elevated her to the national scene after she was photographed wearing a visor on which Sen. John McCain's name had been blacked out.

The gossip Web site TMZ ran photos of the former Alaska governor vacationing in Hawaii earlier this week in which Palin is shown with a McCain campaign visor with black marker covering the ex-presidential candidate's name.

The Web site declared the hat a "frontal attack on Sen. John McCain," but Palin told Politico she was merely trying to "be incognito" while vacationing in Hawaii.

"I am so sorry if people took this silly incident the wrong way," Palin said in a statement to the Web site. "I adore John McCain, support him 100 percent and will do everything I can to support his reelection. As everyone knows, I was honored and proud to run with him. And Todd and I were with him in D.C. just a week ago. So much for trying to be incognito."

A Palin source confirmed the accuracy of the former vice presidential candidate's comments.

The four term Senator McCain is up for re-election next year.

The vacation comes a month after Palin's memoir, "Going Rogue: An American Life," hit book stores. Palin launched an around-the-country book tour soon after and has since visited more than 30 cities.

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. RealityKing

Sarah was vacationing in Hawaii and all TMZ snapped photos of was her blacked out hat!? What morons...!!

December 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  2. MsSwin

I am more concerned about her 'love it or leave it' style teeshirt, not only is it odd for a family who has supported the AIP seccessionist group, but it again reinforces her idea of how some of us are not American enough, real enough or pure enough to be true patriotic Americans.

December 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  3. Mickie

What - she doesn't have enough money to purchase a new visor? The woman is a disaster.

December 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  4. Whatever...

Yeah, because that's a great way to not draw attention to yourself! Here's a thought: if you want to be incognito, why not wear a hat that has NOTHING to do with what has made you recognizable around the world? I think this is another sad attempt at humor made by the completely out of touch Sarah Palin.

December 17, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  5. Karen

She is a real class act!

December 17, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  6. James

What a lame excuse and an explanation! Why did she wear the visor in the first place? This woman would not be minting the money she's minting had it not been for John McCain. And it's stupidious for her to think that a sun visor would make folks not to recognize her. Sarah Palin is indeed small-headed.

December 17, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. joann

If you "adore" John McCain, you disingenuous twit, why black out his name and wear the hat?

December 17, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  8. joe dokes

Does she really think people are stupid enough to buy her explanation? Palin groupies will because she can say any to them and they'll believe it because they're sheep. Everyone else on the other hand...

December 17, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  9. Larry in Salt Lake

If we could only find a way to black her out.

December 17, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. Jerry D

I do hope that Palin decides to come to Arizona to stump for McCain. It will be a pleasure to associate them together to make it even easier to eliminate McCain from a position he has abused and taken advantage of for far too long. All I want for Christmas is a candidate to beat McCain and send him away. My money is on McCain fleeing the state as soon as he loses. He does not care about Arizona if the state can not make him any richer.

December 17, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  11. Aim

She couldn't possibly have thought wearing a visor with McCain's name blacked out would raise eyebrows. No WAY!

This woman will do ANYthing for publicity. And unfortunately, the media is all too willing to oblige.

December 17, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  12. Jimmy

Another non-news item from CNN. Yawn.

December 17, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. Jim

Perhaps the form VP Nominee should have used her book money to purchase a new visor. You can't tell me that she is that dumb to think no one would notice.

December 17, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. Nathan,

THe silly part is that this woman is covered by the press at all.

December 17, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  15. Greg

please go away.

December 17, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. Jim

Incognito? Yeah, because people don't recognize Palin unless she has McCain's name on her forehead.....

December 17, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  17. Mike Finelli

You've got to be kidding me. We're supposed to believe that while she was packing for her trip to Hawaii she said, "hey, i'm going to need a hat to wear so people don't recognize me, this campaign hat will work, I just need to black out McCain on it". She is either lying or not very bright. Both would be my guess.

Can someone buy her a hat because appartently she only has one.

December 17, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  18. Dar

What a great story this was.....................oop's this is CNN, I thought I was reading a tabloid

December 17, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  19. Michael

Going incognito by wearing a hat with your own name on it?
    Does Palin know what "incognito" means? That IS a pretty big word – four syllables, you know.

December 17, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  20. TexasTea

Not smart Sarah, and I’m calling shenanigans on this. You claim you were trying to be inconspicuous, but that just drew more attention to you. Why even wear the hat?

December 17, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. Mahalo

I was actually there near by these guys and a McCain-Palin supporter gave it to her to use on the beach and she marked it out after they joked about how it turns out McCain probably wouldn't be elected in AZ again next year because he's shown he doesn't really support the right common person values. She also remarked she thought she could influence him when in office so she was happy to be on the ticket. She didn't say it mean, but clear enough to get the point.

December 17, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  22. Tim Sledge

Sarah Palin reminds me of a kid who throws a snowball with a rock inside at a passing car then runs in the house and denies everything when the driver knocks at the door.

December 17, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  23. Brad Darby

What I want to know is, was Caribou Barbie wearing her "I Love Rush Limbaugh" t-shirt?

December 17, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  24. Cheri, Columbia, SC

Hmmmm...so this is the only hat she has in which to go incognito?!?! I think not...

December 17, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. Martin, GA

She's trying to bait a response from McCain so she can "come back at the attack" like she's doing w/ Arnold and Gore, so she can get to point where she can express her true feelings. Pretty vicious eh?

December 17, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |