December 17th, 2009
8 months ago

Palin meant no disrespect with blacked-out hat

Palin said she supports McCain '100 percent.'
Palin said she supports McCain '100 percent.'

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said she meant no disrespect to the man that elevated her to the national scene after she was photographed wearing a visor on which Sen. John McCain's name had been blacked out.

The gossip Web site TMZ ran photos of the former Alaska governor vacationing in Hawaii earlier this week in which Palin is shown with a McCain campaign visor with black marker covering the ex-presidential candidate's name.

The Web site declared the hat a "frontal attack on Sen. John McCain," but Palin told Politico she was merely trying to "be incognito" while vacationing in Hawaii.

"I am so sorry if people took this silly incident the wrong way," Palin said in a statement to the Web site. "I adore John McCain, support him 100 percent and will do everything I can to support his reelection. As everyone knows, I was honored and proud to run with him. And Todd and I were with him in D.C. just a week ago. So much for trying to be incognito."

A Palin source confirmed the accuracy of the former vice presidential candidate's comments.

The four term Senator McCain is up for re-election next year.

The vacation comes a month after Palin's memoir, "Going Rogue: An American Life," hit book stores. Palin launched an around-the-country book tour soon after and has since visited more than 30 cities.

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. JC in SC

If she looked like a goon in the hat, then there are no apologies necessary. It's just Sarah out and about being Sarah. Come on. Am I missing something with this woman? Can anyone tell me why there is any interest in this woman at all? I'm serious. President? Governor? Mayor? I think there is a case of mistaken identity and we've been snow jobbed into thinking she's got something to offer. Is this the best the Republicans can offer and we're just waiting for the real thing to surface between now and election time 2012? I hope we do, because if this is it, then I thought last election was a joke. This would be real comedy if it weren't so sad.

December 17, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  2. ED

This woman is beyond stupid OR... a continued attempt to stay in the media spotlight. How anyone can think she has any potential for office is just downright ignorant.

December 17, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  3. Ken

Again...this woman acts like a first grader. She is a national disgrace.

December 17, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. Jeff, TN

In cognito? Why not just buy a different hat?

December 17, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  5. Joe citizen abroad

If she was trying to be incognito, why didn't she wear a different hat?

December 17, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. Carlos L. Harrisburg PA

Humm so she did not have any other hat to wear at the time. I don't buy it Sarah...

December 17, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. We adore you, Sarah!

Enjoy your much-deserved vacation in Hawaii - and keep telling the truth. Loved your book, just loved it !!!!!!!!!

December 17, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. Michele

Who does she think she is fooling? If you meant no disrespect than why didn't she wear another visor? She knew exactly what she is doing. Why are people still thinking she run for president??? What a disaster.

December 17, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  9. Claire

I would have found a better excuse: One of my kids got a hold of it. I didn't want to throw it away.

December 17, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  10. Denisa

Can we have a BLACK OUT on Palins' quips, one liners, and stupidity?

December 17, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  11. ThinkAgain

OMG this woman thinks we're idiots! Like she doesn't have more than one hat with a visor? Like she can't afford to buy one if she'd forgotten the only one she'd brought with her?

Give me a break! I think this was either a direct slam to McCain or yet another ploy to get herself back into the news.

This woman is just plain awful! GO AWAY, PALIN!

December 17, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  12. R.F.

So why where the hat in the first place? Why not wear another hat which she didnt need to cross out? Or is she so cheap she cant afford a hat. no I think this about her being stupid and idiotic.

December 17, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  13. FRANKIE

She's trying to be "incognito"? She's one of the most recognizable women in the world, and she thinks blacking out a name on her visor will do the trick? God, she is even DUMBER than I thought!

December 17, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  14. Mickey

Is she so cheap that she couldn't buy a visor?!? She had to black out McCain's name? SHe probably stole it from a Goodwill Box somwhere.

Palin, you are a liar, plain and simple. Your every move and word is being recorded, and your actions will be used against you to expose you for the FRAUD you and your family really are.

December 17, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  15. EF

I'll believe her explanation when I see her in casual snapshots wearing a T-shirt or cap with McCain's name on it, like any normal person in her position would occasionally do. Until then, I'd say a picture is worth a thousand words. You don't have to be a genius to interpret the blacked-out name of a former running mate. Hats with no name at all are readily available at convenience stores everywhere.

December 17, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  16. killbucket

"Sarah Palin exercises poor judgment" -stop the presses!

December 17, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  17. Proud American

She couldn't afford another hat??!????

December 17, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  18. Truth Matters

Oh Please, she wore a McCain visor because she was worried she might not be recognized. She is addicted to her own celebrity. I agree with Hitchens who said she is a disgraceful opportunist whose brand of populism is deceptive and dangerous. A moral coward who will say or do anything to stay in the limelight.
    Even Paris Hilton had to grow up sometime, hopefully Sarah Palin will follow course for the sake of her family, if nothing else.

December 17, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  19. Mike

Every little thing that Palin does is not new worthy, can you guys please just stop reporting on her. I mean looking to the right of this post, there is your Categories section. You have had more post about Sarah "I lost in the last election and quit my job as governor" Palin, then Health care. More reporting on the important things and less on the unimportant please...

December 17, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  20. Mark

Oh, please! "So much for trying to be in-cognito"??? Really??? If you wanted that, then you should have picked a less conspicuous piece of apparel. Does anyone really buy into these Palin parlor tricks? Clearly this is just another stunt to keep her face fresh in the media.

December 17, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  21. Michael

When is this woman going to go away? She's a reality show at best, not a political leader or leader of any kind. She went from a city council member in a tiny little town (15 years ago) to being the governor of the least populated state in the US, to a candidate for VP...to quitting her job as governor, and now as fodder for the esteemed crap site "TMZ" – Sarah GO AWAY PLEASE

December 17, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  22. NFL1

If she wanted to be incognito, why did she wear any campaign related attire?? She could have worn any kind of visor from Hawaii and played tourist! Seems to me, this type of visor would only DRAW attention.

December 17, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  23. williedyanmite

palin: the gift that keeps on giving!

December 17, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  24. Ashley

Is it really that difficult to buy another $10 visor? Or just wear a different hat altogether to avoid any possible disrespect? This seems like yet another scheme to stay in the headlines.

December 17, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  25. Brian

She couldn't find or purchase another hat??

December 17, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |