December 19th, 2009
  1. jane

I think it would be excruciating to sit there and listen to LIeberman drone on.

December 19, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. If you want something ruined, put a republican in charge

Al Franken merely did what Johnny McCain did to a senator from Minnesota in 2003, in the debate to go to war with Iraq. You cannot expect McSenile to remember his actions though.

December 19, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  3. Larry

Once again you liberals at CNN support this type of behavior...

December 19, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. Chris

As I understand it, there had been a strict time limit for speaking agreed upon so that some Senators would not take an unfair amount of time. Leibermann knew of the limit and exceeded it anyway. It's no one's fault but his own. Maybe Senators and Congressmen would have higher approval ratings if they didn't constantly re-enforce the perception that they love the sound of their own voices, and that they are all talk and no action.

December 19, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  5. david tengwall

I think McCain hit the nail on the head when he said he had been in the Senate for over 20 years.... Can you imagine the great "new" ideas that would finally come into Washington if we limited terms for senators and congressmen and women. The ancient Council of 500 of Athens limited terms to one year and then you could not succeed yourself. That would lead to a true democracy where more people could actually be heard. When they refer to the Senate as a "club" or "fraternity" it represprents nothing in the way of a democracy or even a republic. Way to go Al!!

December 19, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  6. Lois

LIEberman should be muzzled. He is boring, self serving and needs to retire. McCain too, they both should retire. NEW blood needs to be voted in.

December 19, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  7. WhiteYFresH

SO I guess John McCain "forgot" when he did EXACTLY THE SAME THING to Sen. Robert Byrd in the debate over the build-up to the Iraq war?

December 19, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  8. Concerned Democrat

How CHILDISH and PETTY can you get.

December 19, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  9. mary saunders

Thank the stars for Sen.Al Franken, He"s got the balls to say NO to the 2 face Joe lieberman, Here's to Al a toast , He made my Holiday brighter Be proud Al cause I am proud of you! Mary

December 19, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  10. Anonymous

I believe that Senator Franken was expressing the frustration and disgust of millions of other Americans when he shut down grandstanding Joe Lieberman. Good job Al from a frustrated American.

December 19, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  11. skip barker

great job Al tired of listening to that long winded hypocrite Lieberman. all israelis have healthcare maybe from all the welfare we gave and still give them. money extracted from people in this country who cant afford healthcare. lets take away the billions we give israel and put it into our own healthcare not government run.

December 19, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  12. Blue

Thank you Al Franken, it is time to shut the traitor (Lieberman) up. He is a mad man and trying to show his importance.

December 19, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  13. CNN afraid of a liberal post

Hey McCain payback is Hades AINT' IT...guess you republicans think you can do what ever the devil YOU want. But is anybody dares, I say dares to call you...you mess in your shorts.

December 19, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  14. Dick_NH

Seems that LOTS of people have forgotten McCain's refusal to allow then Senator Dayton (D-MN) an extra 30 seconds when debating the Iraq war in 2002....McCain himself says he NEVER remembered ANY senator showing the disrespect that Franken displayed....John, Alzheimers is SURELY setting in......McCain has a VERY selective memory when it suits him....he is the ULTIMATE "look at ME...ain't I wonderful" FOOL! SEE HERE : Think Progress » Flashback: McCain Refused To Grant 30 Seconds Of Time During Iraq War Debate

December 19, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  15. Kathy S. Cloughn

We love you, Al...let's get something done on health care. We can finetune it later but get something out there!

December 19, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  16. Paul H

Al Franken is a joke. He is a pox in the political arena now. He's funnier now as a politician, than he was as a comedian!
    Blatant disrespect in the senate should not be a surprise though, the senate, and the house has been disrespecting their powers and positions for years now. This is just another level of low.
    Should we laugh, or cry knowing that in the highest offices in the land sits the lowest of low life's. Our chosen leaders fulfilling their own agendas on our dime.

December 19, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  17. steve

Jessica Yellin,
    Sen Mccain refused a fellow senator 30 secs during the 2002 Iraq war debate on the floor. I know you are very biased towards Democrats to report it.
    I can refer you to think progress or huffington post blog to get that information.
    MCcain is a conniving liar to say this was the first time it had happened in that body since he did same to a fellow senator.

December 19, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. Donkey Party

Yeah right CNN, Franken was simply following the rules. Too bad long-winded Lieberman needs 20 minutes to spew his hate in the 10 minutes allotted.

December 19, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. Mr. Frankin, I'm not gay, but I think I love you

now, more Senators need to tell mr. lieberman to shut it

mr. lieberman is an equally offensive to both parties

so Repubs and Dems, tell him to stuff it

December 19, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. gary davis Harbor Oregon

I guess John McCain is the one that changes Joe Liebermans diper when he craps in them and doesn't get the lime light and fame
    what a pair of idiots . two of the three stooges or DARYLE AND DARYLE and Dick Cheney is LARRY . boo hoo babys . they make me sick . bought off by big insurance companies and we need to vote them out of office NOW :)

December 19, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  21. D. Tree

Funny how its the Republicans who are making this a big deal – they will do anything to stop health care reform! John McCain told a bald lie when he said he'd never seen this happen before – he did it himself!

December 19, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  22. Chipster

Why is this an issue? Franken did not prevent anyone from speaking for their allowed amount of time. He simply didn't allow extended time and had been instructed to limit speakers because so many wanted to speak. Speakers are not allowed to simply speak as long as they like in these forums. This is not a filibustering situation. This is just a non-story fabricated into a story.

December 19, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  23. steve

Flashback for you, Jessica.
    Flashback: McCain Refused To Grant 30 Seconds Of Time During Iraq War Debate

mackYesterday, Sen. Al Franken (D-MN), acting on the orders of the Senate leadership, refused to grant Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) “an additional moment” to continue speaking on the Senate floor after his 10 minutes expired. Franken’s objection caused Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) to groan about how Franken’s move was unprofessional, unprecedented, and disrespectful:

McCAIN: I’ve been around here 20-some years. First time I’ve ever seen a member denied an extra minute or two to finish his remarks. … I just haven’t seen it before myself. And I don’t like it. And I think it harms the comity of the Senate not to allow one of our members at least a minute. I’m sure that time is urgent here, but I doubt that it would be that urgent.

Unfortunately, McCain’s memory is suffering. In fact, McCain has engaged in the very same behavior that he was criticizing Franken for yesterday.

On October 10, 2002 — just ahead of the looming mid-term elections — the Senate rushed a debate on a war authorization giving President Bush the power to use force against Iraq. The resolution ultimately passed the Senate after midnight on an early Friday morning by a vote of 77-23.

During the course of the frenzied floor debate, then-Sen. Mark Dayton (D-MN) spoke in favor of an amendment offered by Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) that would have restricted Bush’s constitutional powers to wage war against Iraq. After a minute and a half, Dayton ran out of time, prompting this exchange:

The PRESIDING OFFICER. The Senator’s time has expired.

Mr. DAYTON. I ask for unanimous consent that I have 30 seconds more to finish my remarks.

Mr. McCAIN. I object.

Byrd stepped in to grant Dayton time to finish his remarks. But just moments later, Byrd asked for more time to speak for himself. Again, McCain objected, prompting Byrd to chide him for doing so. “This shows the patience of a Senator,” Byrd said. “This clearly demonstrates that the train is coming down on us like a Mack truck, and we are not even going to consider a few extra minutes for this Senator.”

After being publicly shamed, McCain acquiesced to Byrd’s request. But moments later, McCain added this disclaimer: “I wish to say very briefly that I understand people have a desire to speak. We have a number of Senators who have not spoken on this issue. It is already looking as if we may be here well into this evening. From now on, I will be adhering strictly to the rules.” In other words, he acted just like Franken did yesterda

December 19, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. Aaron B

Al Franken is the most worthless human being to every take over a state. Yes, I can say that because I live in MN. Im not sure what the people in this state were thinking when they elected this idiot. I guess you cant fix stupid. I'll be moving from this frozen socialist state soon! And oh yea, Another great Lib tactic to make sure no opposition is heard. Good job guys, you've proved to me where you want this country to go, and it aint pretty. You libs will NOT take over my life. You will NOT take my freedoms away. Anyway, how Franken has made it this far in his political career is a very big suprize. Coo coo!

December 19, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  25. gerald paddock

good al this club needs to go and be broken down you people work for me not your club way to go .

December 19, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |